Bread for gout?

Posted , 10 users are following.

A silly thing but with so much conflicting advice i want to know from other sufferers if white is better than brown. I prefer brown but the other half says she spotted on the interweb that white is the way to go..

Anybody have any thoughts?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If in doubt go for brown .Apparently it is good for the rest of your body so stick with it
  • Posted

Hi not sure what you mean by brown but if you're referring to wheat bread, your other half is right. Wheat bread causes gout and has put me the hospital more than once after eating eat. Wheat and farina are the worse foods for gout. I eat white bread all the time with no issues, give me wheat bread and I'm in pain. Stay away from wheat bread and you won't suffer from gout. A long time sufferer here.

• Posted

Do you have a link to assess the credibility of the site?

The Arthritis Foundation suggests whole wheat rather than white bread.

Yeast (and any mushroom) is supposed to trigger gout; I've never had a problem.

Anything which helps you control your weight helps gout.

If you take allopurinol all the diet control of purines becomes a non-issue.

• Posted

Rusty, my doctor told me to stay away from wheat and if I eat wheat I am at 100times at risk for a gout attack. I can't even eat Farina because it's pure wheat. If I eat it I end up with gout within 24 hours of eating it.

• Posted

Rusty, many beers use wheat and barley thus making beer the culprit of many gout attacks. I'm sure you remember now 😃

• Posted

Not sure but I do know tghat high bran breakfast cereals give me hell. strangely enough with quite specific and excruciating pains in the middle of my kneecap; it's as though I'd been kneecapped. Otherwise, not sure. good luck.

David

• Posted

hmm bran cereal? wonder if there's raisins -- raisins are high in purines.

• Posted

I've read white bread is better than whole wheat, but read the ingredients because some breads contain high frutose corn syrup!~

• Posted

Do we know why beer in particular is bad? Is it because of yeast or wheat?

Im thinking of ditching wheat bread allthogether but most breads are made of wheat, even those that say rye have wheat as a main ingridient.

• Posted

Alcohol in general is bad because it causes dehydration. Beer is worse still because of the wheat (bread too)...I cannot remember the biology or research as to why wheat is bad though. I'll have a look through my now 150 pages of notes to try to find out exactly why.

• Posted

My last gout attack many many years ago came from eating wheat bread. Apparently, I'm also allergic to it as well, since it causes pain all over my body that is associated with the disease of fibromyalgia. You couldn't even touch me without feeling pain. Once I cut out the wheat in my diet, all my symptoms including the gout ones went away. I say ditch the wheat bread, a recommendation my doctor made last time I got a gout attack. I don't beer but I suspect it's the wheat/hops in the beer that causes gout.

• Posted

Hi,

I am a gout victim and have controlled my diet recently with the exceptions of bread and pasta. However, my gout attack did not stop and keeps on coming back.

My gut feeling tells me its the bread and pasta. I am taking your advise to go for white bread instead of wheat bread. However, when i check the content of the white bread, it says it contains wheat. Should i avoid these too?

Any brands to suggest?

Thanks a bunch!

• Posted

Are you taking medication? How often do you have attacks? What is your blood urate reading?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.