Breakfast ideas (with synthroid)

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was recently diagnosed with hypo. My doctor put me on 50 mcg of synthroid, which I heard can be ineffective if you eat a lot of fiber after taking it.

I'm used to eating oatmeal in the morning, but now I'm wondering if that has too much fiber in it (I wait an hour between taking my pill and eating).

Are there any breakfasts that you guys would suggest for synthroid users? Thanks!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am pretty sure that you have to wait several hours before taking oral vitamins and or fiber.. my label says not to take vitamins within5 hours of my medicine.. so I wait and take my vitamins in the middle of the day. As far as fiber it's still important to eat in moderation..so if you take your medication in the morning then wait several hours before eating high fiber foods.. try other hot cereals or change it up and have eggs, fresh fruit, I make a lot of breakfast bakes that has eggs, meat, cheese and veggies all mixed and baked like a quiche.. and you can eat it for a few days. I don't think it would hurt to eat your oatmeal a few times a week and maybe substitute the other days with healthy foods.. it's always best to consult with your doctor before taking advice as I'm not a doctor.I am a Certified nursing assistant and I have done research into the subject because of my own thyroid issues. Hope this helps
    • Posted

Albumin, the protein in eggs binds thyroid meds and then they are eliminated from the body before absorption.
  • Posted

Hello TaylorPGill:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA. I have Hashimoto's thyriod disease since 1987.

Thyroid meds need an hour to work and attach in the bowel to receptor sites.  Food will compete for that also and block LEVO.  Take it 1 hour ahead of eating.  Some  people take it at bedtime and that can be an option also.

Eat gluten free oatmeal.  Avoid  gluten as it now known to bother the thyroid and bowels.   You can eat what you like just watch package labels for Gluten.

Fruits like Strawberries are good,  use low fat milk.

I hope this helps,

Shelly

• Posted

You can get gluten free oats. Just need to twke your levothyroxine an hour before breakfast. I used to wake, take tablet, get up and go towork, then have my bbreakfast at work. I used to take in a thermos mug, oats, dried skimmed milk (sugar if wanted). At work, I half filled the mug with oats, added 2 heaped dessert spoons of dried skimmed milk, topped up with boiling water and stirred. Then i put the lid on and waited 10 minutes and re-stirred. After 10 minutes my porridge would be ready. Nowadays I would use oat milk as I've developed a dairy intolerance. This worked ok because I was allowed to eat at my desk whilst working. I'm sure this would work with oatmeal. As far as I am aware there is no need to avoid fibre, you just need to take levothyroxine on an empty stomach and wait an hour before eating.
    • Posted

Please take a moment to read the paper the pharmacist gives you at each refill. Must space 4 hours before or after products containing calcium, aluminum, iron and magnesium. This includes milk.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.