breathing

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have a problem with breathing when exercising this has crept up on me in the last few years.I have tried cycling and not really improved.I have copd but believbe it is to do with inhaling traffic fumes particularly deisel.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

For sure if you have COPD and cycle in traffic fumes daily it is not going to be helping your lung health.

My advise would be drive or catch a bus if you are still working and save cycling, walking in areas with cleaner air.

Breathlessness is pretty much a part of my day to day life and I do get breatheless when exercising but that doesn't stop me from doing it, I just do what I can.

• Posted

I would not however exercise in areas with poor air quality, pollution, etc
    • Posted

where i live we have high levels of radon gas and wonder if that give me this or can make it worse.
    • Posted

I visit a friend on occasion in an area where Radon gas is monitored by the local council and they usually have something on their website if levels rise over and above what is considered safe.  The area never affected my breathing but I note there is a lot of cancer with residence in the area.  If it were me I would definitely move.  Or just check levels with the council and should there be a time when warning are issued you could take a break away from the area I guess.

My friend has lived their for over 50 years, she is not ill in any way at all but her partner is.  I guess it really all depends if you are in a high zone area or if levels are lower.

If you search Radon gas map UK you can see which areas are highest.

Also if you search Radon gas and Cancer will give you information also.

• Posted

Yes lot's die where i am with cancer and radon gas is very high tests said all the houses should have vents fitted underneath them.

I am looking to move very soon.

• Posted

the radon gas map will be useful when you are looking to move.  Even just going into the pale yellow zone would be a big improvement to the brown zone being the highest on the UK radon map
    • Posted

Yes i live in brown zone, we have started looking for an house now.
  • Posted

I have severe breathing problems, diagnosed now as Emphysema, however as I have severe Heartburn, and have had 3 resections of the Ileum section in part of the stomach, so am extrememly in pain, but the worst thing for me is I have  extremem breathlessness, and fatique, cannot do much at all now, I am thinking it may be because of acid, anyone with any Ideas?

• Posted

Hi carmwoman, have you spoken with your doctor about this, if your inhalers are not working for you it will be a good idea to discuss perhaps trying an alternative inhaler. 

Perhaps discuss being referred to pulmonary rehabilitation as well.  If we are not doing much things deteriorat and breathlessness gets worse on exertion, so it is important to do some form of exercise every day even when you have fatigue.  Just do what you can but also do chat with your doctor about your difficulties.

Best wishes V

• Posted

Thankyou Vee,

I know, but I do get on the treadmill for a few minutes each day, just get so miserable.........but am looking into Buteyko Breathing now.

I only found l Inhaler helped me, and that was Neo Ellipta, but it didnt last, have also been using lemon juice and Bi carb soda.

• Posted

Possible you would benefit more if you took the  inhaler medicines as prescribed. Non orthodox methods won't help open the airways as orthodox medicine can.  But the choice is yours.

To breathe easier, achieve more, attend PR, and take medicines as prescribed.  Daily.

Lemon juice and bi carb isn't going to help your breathe easier.

Buteyko method is more successful if you only have asthma but then the breathing exercises you learn on a PR course you can practice every day even when breathing is more difficult.

My recommendation is the same chat with your doctor, discuss the meds and investigate PR referral.

• Posted

Michael....glad you are breathing, but I think we need more information on you before we start pondering which direction you need to go.  First how old are you?  Do you smoke or have you ever smoked?  Are you in the USA or the UK, what is your location.  There are so many variables with the diagnosis of COPD.  What stage are you in the Early or End Stages?  What are your FEV numbers.  These are things you will need to know.  How much permanent damage has already been done and has it progressed since your diagnosis.  Have you tried swimming underwater such as scuba diving.  Where you would have to hold your breath until you've done one complete lap.  I have personally found that this is one of the best ways to expell air and help with deeper breathing.  You really need to stay out of polluted areas whether it's traffic, fractor, simple air pollution, molds, mildews, and many other plants, dusts and plant pollens.  You have and must take a proactive role in your diagnosis and a new way of living.  Are you on any inhalants?  i.e.  Spiriva, Symbicort, Flonase, Albuterol or Bromenaids....for nebulizers.  ????  There ae al lot of questions the need answering before I personally delve into trying to tell you which directions to head with doctors.  But you do need a good Pulmonologist and Allergist that will talk to you in length about your concerns.  Best wishes, let us all hear from you on how you are doing...God bless.  Breathless.

• Posted

Greetings

Michael, i Am 72, but have suffered Crohns disease for 45 years,

At last the Crohns does not worry me too much, as I have managed to have that under control with Boswellia etc, but had a motor accident 5 years ago broken left shoulder, and smashed right wrist so was bedridden for 3 months, after that have had the severe breathlessness and fatigue, mind you have always suffered from severe heartburn live on chewy Qickeze, also suffer gout in right knee quote often, which means I am very acidic, sore throat have so much fatique, have bee diagnosed with Emphysema, but I still think it is related to acid, low fev, just don't have any energy.I was a Champion Lawn Bowler, but dont have the stamina now although I do get on the treadmill each day for a few minutes, am now experimenting with bi carb, citric acid, lemon juice, and cider vinegar as still get an irritation from urine.

I have tried most of the Inhalers, there was only relief useing Breo Ellipta fro a few weeks but the relief did not last. I AM GETTING SO DESPONDENT NOW.

KIND Regards

Miranda.

Incidentally I live i Queensland Australia.

• Posted

Hi carmwoman

I'm astounded at the things you're taking while having such bad heartburn! They'd bring it on for me, and I'd have to start eating fresh parsley and basil or make myself basil tea (which is palatable from dried basil but much better from fresh leaves/stalks). Nowadays I just eat some parsley and basil when in the garden because I like them, but there were several years where I consumed them after most evening meals.

Basil tea is so effective that docs always let me make it for myself & everyone I know who has abdominal surgery, in that crucial post-surgical period when the docs are listening to hear the bowels start working again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.