Broken 5th metatarsal

Posted , 3 users are following.

i just wanted to add some positive news, as when I originally broke my 5th metatarsal just over 6 weeks ago, all the forums I could find were doom and gloom! I appreciate that everyone has different circumstances, but I just wanted you to know that sometimes things go well! I didn't realise how easy and how common it is to break your 5th metatarsal! I attach my initial X-ray so you can see where it was broken, again I appreciate that people can have much more complicated fractures, but if you have anything like mine, then hopefully this will give you some positive news. I initially had a huge bandage right from my ankle to my knee and had crutches. This was the worst stage as I couldnt weight bear and so it was extremely difficult to move around. However after 5 days I had the big boot. I got on well with this and it enabled me to move around much more easily. I used crutches as well at first but then got used to just the boot. I rested for the first week, with my feet up, not venturing anywhere wearing the boot continually except for when in bed! Then I started to go for very small walks building up the distance. After 3 weeks I went back for a further X-ray and was told things were progressing but it obviously wasn't fused yet. When I got home I started to not wear the boot around the house and weight bear as much as the pain would allow. I was surprised at how quickly this progressed. After 4 weeks I started to wear supportive walking boots when I was outside and bear foot inside. All the time going on walks, building up my strength and distance. I'm now just over 6 weeks, I can now wear normal shoes, can drive and my life is getting back to normal! I do hope someone will have the same experiences as me! 

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Yep mine went well too but did have surgery. 4 weeks off, 4 in boot then good to go. Am 68. I could have left it to heal on it's own but for me, woukd have taken a much longer time.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing your experience Nickly. I am very happy things are progressing well for you. It is really nice to read good news. All the best. Cris

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.