Broken 5th Metatarsal and 5th Metacarpal

Posted , 3 users are following.

During a taekwondo fight, I broke my right 5th Metacarpal with severe displacement and had 2 pins put in on May 29.  They were taken out 3 weeks later, and I was told to move my fingers as much as possible. Extreme pain, bruising and swelling for 1.5 weeks after pins came out.

I tripped and fell on July 1st, breaking my left 5th Metatarsal, at the base, and have had an aircast for 4 weeks.  First 2 weeks were non-weightbearing, 3rd week I was partial weight bearing, and this week I am walking without crutches, aircast to be on for 2 more weeks.

I unfortunately also rebroke my right 5th metacarpal in my fall, and was splinted and told no surgery this time, but they would do a more conservative approach to healing.  Splint came off last week, and I was again told to move my fingers and had alot.  I cannot move my pinky except for up and down a little bit.  It will not bend at all at the knuckle.  Physio starts in a week, and I'm super nervous.  It is quite painful right now.

Anyone else with a similar experience?  Especially with the 5th Metacarpal?  I'm mostly wondering what they will do at Physio, what to expect for pain and how long until my hand is more useable.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi weliveupnorth;   sorry have not had same experience, and have been waiting to see if any others reply........All that I can say is from seeing others with same:  Yes you will need the physio, as if not, your finger will remain stiff and straight.........if the physio is a good one, they will massage and manipulate gently, at first; and then more after you heal a little more each week.....it is important that you do the home exercises that they ask of you.   You will probably have some pain with these, but don't stop........make use of pain relief (take same about half hour before physio and exercises)....this will enable you to get the most from your physio and exercises............Good luck............Bron
    • Posted

I never thought about taking a pain reliever before the appointment. I will definitely do that. And yes, my pinky is straight and won't bend at the first knuckle. I also broke it at the head of the metacarpal.

I have to drive an hour to the appointments too, which is going to be a pain.

• Posted

oh; if you need to drive so far, you may need to take another pain tab when you get home, as the first will prob nearly be worn off....and if you find physio is painful, it may help the "continued moving" of joint by taking another when you get home........and as physio will prob say, make use of cold packs for pain (only put on for 10 mins), and then hot pack to keep muscles etc lax, to enable continued movement/exercises???    Really discuss all your queries/questions with the physio, as they should be only too willing to help you to heal as quick as possible............smileBron
  • Posted

Hi

I can't advise you as my injury is different. However I really felt for you when i read of the 2nd accident and that you had broken the same metacarpal again. How painful is your han?. My fracture is a wrist fracture and I haven't had any problem with moving my fingers.

• Posted

It's definitely stiff and sore. And has very little mobility and flexibility because it essentially has been in a splint since May 25th. I'm trying to move it, and move my fingers as much as I can until I start Physio next week. Going to be a long road.

Crutches and a broken hand were not helpful with pain either. Thankfully I am mostly able to walk without the crutches now, with the aircast.

• Posted

Sorry Katejo;  you won't have any trouble moving your fingers with a Wrist fracture.........the two Main wrist bones are the Radius and Ulna, with smaller ones joining these two , to the many hand bones in the hand,  and then the finger bones, of which there are more......and weliveupnorth has fractured her little finger...............Bron
    • Posted

Yes I fractured the bone in my hand that connects to my little finger. And it was displaced sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.