Broken 5th metatarsal not healing.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Broke my foot 5th metatarsal. At 4 weerks not healing yet,im now in an aircast from a hardcast. This is week 6. Foot at night just burns and burns. I dont get much sleep and now i have a deep aching.along with the burning. I was told no weight on it but i can walk on the heel only if necessary. Why now at 6weeks is it hurting and burning?.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

The number 1 problem with broken bones are infections as nothing can heal until the infection is eliminated. If you have an infection your foot would be swelling and resembling a ski boot. Also your foot would feel hot to the touch. Discharge would also be looking for a way out. If you think something is wrong go back to your doctor for a blood test and xray. The blood test will reveal if your body is fighting an infection.
    • Posted

Thanks for that info. I didnt know a broken bone could get infection! The only swelling i still have is right over the area of the break. Its the night time burning it doesnt let me sleep and now a deep ache is starting. Sadly my orthopedic is 2 hrs. Away and this is a workmans Comp injury so I have to see theor providers. Hes the closest. I live inbthe mountains of N. Georgia and Atlanta is where their Drs. Are. Ughhhh.
    • Posted

Im not a doctor, I had a compound fracture to my tibia last year which means the bone was exposed which made it easy for infections to set in. I had 9 surgeries. Perhaps your bone hasnt set properly or you have inflamation. Elevate your leg as often as possible. Its your call but you only get 2 feet and bone problems in your legs and feet can lead to back problems later.
    • Posted

You've given me lots to think about. I was given a return to work on light duty only order. Im thinking its possible im up and down on it to much so ive stayed home today with it elevated and on Aleve ( nsads). Hope to catch extra zzzzzzzz's too the nights are the worst. Thks again !! If not better next week I will call and make the long trip to Atlanta to see the Orthopedic.
    • Posted

Kids heal real quick, but for us old dudes it takes longer, especially if you drink and smoke. Eat and drink clean, look up foods and vitamins that support healing.  And you are right, sleep makes things heal faster. I hope it works out well for you.
  • Posted

I broke my left 5th Metatarsal on July 1st and I'm still in the aircast. It aches all the time. I can walk on it without the aircast at home but it hurts. I go back for another X-ray in a couple of weeks and I sure hope it's healed.

Hope you get some relief and good news soon. Take Care.

• Posted

Well im not glad you broke your foot too.I have to say its good to have someone else to compare notes with. Im wondering if its normal for the 5th metatarsal to be so slow in healing? This hasnt really hurt much (except the couple of days after i did it) Now 6th week into it and it has started to ache? Is that normal? I guess this aircast and I will be the best of buddies for awhile. I go back on Sept 10 for xrays etc. I just hope ive at least started to heal. I hope yours is healed!! Stay in touch.lets see where the courses take us.
    • Posted

I find if I do too much walking around with the aircast my foot really aches by the end of the day. Almost like growing pains in my foot.

Did you break the base of your metatarsal? Mines a base break. So the tendons pulled the bone away, and I guess that can mean for a longer healing. I fell and twisted my foot stepping off the pier at the lake. How'd you break yours?

I got back on Sept 16th for another X-ray. Meanwhile I have to go to physio every week for a 5th metacarpal (hand) break that happened in taekwondo at the end of May, and rebroke in my pier accident. It's been a hell of a summer.

Hope your X-rays on the 10th show good progress.

• Posted

Good grief!! You have had a time..And I thought breaking my foot was bad..you poor dear. I work on a Scenic railway in the N. Georgia mountains invtheir first Class Car as a Hostess. I was stepping down from the traim to start to load passangers and my foot just turned under . i heard it go pop just like an old chicken bone. Then the pain...i broke it half way dowm at a 45 degree angle. They said it was lined up pretty well but in the xrays iy doesnt look like it to me. So now we both wait and see. I hopped behind a walker on my other leg for 4weeks . then they gave mr this aircast and said I could walk only on the heel and absolutely no weight on the entire foot. Thats where Im at now. So I will wait to hear how your next appt goes and Oll let you know how mime goes..ok new found friend.. Have a good day..
  • Posted

I broke mine mid June, and walked on it for 6 weeks before proper treatment! I'm in an air cast, too! Mine burns all the time! I was told it's the nerves around it....but it is maddening! Healing vibes headed your way!

• Posted

Hi team. Came here to seek other people's experiences with weight bearing and pain. I did my break on 23/07 and have been told I can weight bear as pain allows, which I have been.

I don't have pain as I'm weight bearing but by the end of the day and during the evening I get horrific pain - aches, hot shooting pains down the side if my foot ans back into my heel.

I'm not sure if this is growing/healing pain or doing damage pain?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.