Broken Ankle Extreme Pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Okay, two weeks ago I broke my medial malleolus. It was a small fracture but it really hurt.

Well, on Wednesday we went to the fracture clinic (for a routine checkup) and they changed my cast. My first cast was apparently put on wrong (my foot was position badly inside it) so they changed the cast. Part of that changing included having to re-manipulate my foot, aka put it in neutral position. That hurt so badly.

They said that the swelling may return and as will some pain but whenever it feels as bad as when I first did it.

Whenever my medicine is wearing off, I can't even use my crutches as the jolting movement mixed with the blood rushing to my ankle makes me cry out.

I was wondering if this was normal considering that they did in fact move my foot. They X-Rayed it and it's looking okay, a stable fracture and nothing's changed. But it really, really hurts.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I may be wrong but I had a bad break recently and am 2 weeks out of a cast and while it was bearable without painkillers , it's a slow process and it's depressing but in your case i would go back and get it checked out again , there may be some tissue damage and if they definitely find its stable I'm afraid you may just have to endure it for now , the upside is I that it will heal although Time and patience is needed , I still need crutches and it still swells up badly, wish you all the best

• Posted

Sorry to hear of your pain. I fractured my Medial Malleous in May this year. I experienced somthing similar when i used to stand up on my crutches but it tended to stop if i moved my leg at the knee to move the blood around in the calf but it was quite unpleasant. If you have any fears i would definately speak to your consultant as they will hopefully put your mind at rest. On a plus point, 5 months on and am now walking perfectly well, although a bit stiff in the morning. I can now excercise without holdining back on anything, and have just returned to the mountains, as walking was my hobby before the accident. 

It takes time to heal but start PT as soon as possible after cast removed. I did the next day and was the best decision i ever made.

Good luck with your recovery, patience is a virtue, Good PT and stick with it and you will see small progressions each time you visit them.

• Posted

holly7717xx,

I have never had to have anything re-maniputalted but I would imagine that it would hurt quite badly. Things were probably already starting to heal the way they had it in the first place. I wish you all the best of luck and keep us updated to your progress.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.