Broken Bones and a twisted hand and a straw that broke the camels back.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all. I would like to say something here because I am angry. I do not want sympathy but could do with a friend or two.In February I fell and broke both bones in my wrist. It was pinned 4 days afterwards in 2 places. I noticed the hand was set a little to the side plus I was in agony. I was sent to physio..a lot of physio. I kept explaining the wrist was somehow ridged rather than stiff. After months of excuciating pain I decided to get the little xray picture I had been given enlarged. I saw that one pin overlapped the joint of the wrist and hand and there looked to be a little nail just tipping into the joint. I explained this to physio who pulled up the Xray..nothing wrong with it they said. I have to say it did not look like my hand but I trusted them. Finally after too much pain I told physio this just was not working for me. They sent me back to the doctor. I attended taking my Xray with me. This time an exact copy of that was pulled up and it was confirmed to me that yes the pin overlapped the joint and yes the pin needed to come out..it was put over the joint as I did not have enough joint space..but why send me to physio then? What sort of torture was that?  I am to have a new operation in a week..but I no longer have trust or confidence, plus the hand itself is still sort of twisted. I opened a letter yesterday that my GP wants to cut my pain meds..that just did it for me..as not only do I have the wrist and hand pain but I also have frozen shoulder. I have been three months asking for my medical records. The problems causd by my hand disablement have been ignored. I have asked for a second opinion on the hand and been advised against it on the grounds I would have to stay with the medic of the second opinion from..God knows what damage has been done to the joint from all the physio. Disgusted!

2 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

OH MY GOODNESS!!  That IS so enfuriating!!!!  I feel for you!  I sure hope this next surgery removes the pain.......  GOOD GRIEF.....

A listening ear......

Jill

• Posted

Thanks Jill. I think I will need a listening ear and would much appreeciate it in this.
  • Posted

Hi Sky.

When I was 30 ( nothing to do with osteoporosis) I had an accident and broke both bones in my wrist. It was grossly deformed and the pain was too much to bare. I was taken to the hospital and it was just set and put in a cast for six weeks. I on 2 occasions went to the GP explaining the severe pain I was in. I was told each time to go home and take Panadol. Panadol did nothing. At the six month mark my GP cut off the plaster,my wrist was deformed and still to this day is ( I'm now 60) the doctor was shocked and all he could say was " it's deformed" and looked shocked. I was crying and told him I'd been in there telling him I was in pain. I was so upset Sky that I left his office and went home. In those days I was told it was inoperable. The fist few years I still had the bad pain most of the time but then the pain did disappear and only sometimes do I get pain in my wrist, but this took many years. I can do everything but only if I overdo things do I get pain. I still of course have the deformity which I'm conscious of at times. I too went through hell Skye. I have since broken my ankle do to osteoporosis and it was shattered, operated on with plated and screws, 2 plates and two long screws inner ankle bone. I still 10 months in get pain and especially when walking a distance, I lost my job and feeling quite depressed, knowing one day this too will pass. ?? I hope everything turns out well for you Sky sincerely ??

• Posted

OMG MsCamboot.What a sad story ! Just from curiosity what is your score at DEXA if I may ask you? And do you take any  medicine for OP ? Thank you .
    • Posted

Hi Ms Camboot

That is a concerning story to me..I feel bad/Sad for you. Did you get any support at all from the Doctors on the emotional costs of this because from where I am standing the emotional costs are very great..

I too will lose my job, also I cannot drive..despite physio urging me to try..which is unbelievable in the circumstances. 

• Posted

Hi Mariana.

My Dexa scan score for my spine was -2.7 and I take Prolia, six monthly injections. I know some on here will be horrified but I severely broke my ankle and was walking post op 5 MONTHS without any aid. I am still struggling with the fear of falling and pain from the ankle and foot. I know many say just get on with it , but until something like this happens to you, you can't possibly understand ( no insult intended) no there is no pain with osteoporosis but there is debilitating pain when you break an osteoporotic bone. I would rather take medication at my risk than listen to the negativity about them. I can't risk another fracture and I'm having no side effects from the medication. What works for one doesn't work for another. Also I've always eaten foods containing calcium. I have always exercised and done the right thing. I've had calcium tablets for donkey years. All which haven't helped preventosteoporosis. I now take Vit K, magnesium along with the others. If someone wants to try the healthy eating only and shun medication that's fine by me, I'm just saying it didn't work for me. I developed it through the menopause and will do everything I can to prevent another debilitating fracture. All the best Mariana and I hope you have the wisdom to do what's right for you. I'm sure you will.??

• Posted

Dear Sky

I can only advice you to seek out a lawyer, he won't have any trouble accessing your medical reports and if there is negligence on the doctors/ hospital side the lawyer will take action to cover your costs. ??

• Posted

I know..speaking to one tommorrow..but at my age there is a problem..there may not be enough losses so far for them to be interested in taking it on. It would be nice to think they pursued justice but actually they pursue profit..if there is not enough losses then I am uncertain they will be interested..a friend of mine had a heart op and they put in a diseased valve or something..all I really know is she had to fight a tremendous infection and had to have some revolting things done such as tubes in the chest..but she did not work..she had no financial loss as such and so she was turned down by lawyers..we will see..but I am not holding my breath.

XV

• Posted

Just speak to one Skye. What about loss of income? Pain? Distress? The running around etc. If the doctors/ hospital have been negligent then you have every right to seek a lawyer. Your life have been changed and you have losses because of their negligence. Yes the lawyer takes a cut but he is doing a job too. Good luck 🙂
    • Posted

Thanks for that I will do my best. But the true horror of this predicament is yet to be revealed. I will now be opening another thread likely entitled one of the last of the dambusters or something like that..
    • Posted

Just read that thread.  Did not know your back story yet.  What country do you live in?
    • Posted

Got it..thanks.That is a help. I am wading through 2016 pain control regulationss.and it is like wading through mud..I expect to be wading for hours..
    • Posted

Had you thought about a complaint to the media?  Sometimes radio or tv stations have a reporter who specializes in exposing difficulties people have with bureaucracy, etc.  You might not be ready for that yet, but if you can't get anywhere through the usual channels over the next few weeks I'd give it a shot.

• Posted

I was thinking of that..thing is I need treatment to get out of pain and to then see if I can drive..the car is rotting on the drive..once I can figure out which way to go..either have the op with the people responsible or risk getting a second opinion to assess exactly what the damage to the joints are I will be in a better position. But it is getting the information to make an informed decision that is the problem and one which I will try to resolve tomorrow.

I think in this case, two people from the same family, damaged within four months of each other from treatment in the same place might be a good human interest story...XXV

• Posted

Hi MsCamboot,

We have people in the group with all kind of treatments for all kind of conditions .And we are following people  in the group that had treatment for OP in the past also  .Some even gain some bones from treatment .So we want to learn as much as possible.At least I am following with great interes every option ,Who knows when I will decide to have some treatment for OP .

I am scared thinking of the posibilty to broke a bone .

. How did you broke your ankle i ? I am sorry that  you had to deal with fractures ,operation ,recovery and so  on . Take care .

• Posted

I am English and was on holiday in the UK. I am a walker and have always kept fit. I went up the face of MamTor and on descending it started to rain, thunder and lighten. The weather just changed. The steep ground was wet and I lost my balance and fell. I was rescued by EDALE rescue team, they carried me up hill to a helicopter where I was flown to the trauma unit at the hospital. I was really taken cared of there. If I'd used a path it may not have happened but I was a ticking bomb anyway. It would have happened sooner or later I guess as I'm adventurous or should I say was haha.??

• Posted

Hi Anhage.

I guess it's different but I've been through hell with the ankle break and I do mean hell. One wrong move and your life can be changed. The only good from it is that I found out I had OP otherwise my bones would have only grown worse. My ankle has a long plate/ screw up the fibula, a T plate/ screws up the Tibia and 2 long screws in the inner ankle bone. It was also dislocated. I was walking at post op 5 MONTHS WITHOUT AID. I was in the UK nearly 3 months as my surgeon didn't want me to fly home until I could put my foot on the floor. The pain was much worse than giving birth and I never want to experience anything like that again. It certainly puts fear in you and I watch every step I take and that's not a good way to live. Steep roads etc I usually hold onto someone. I live alone and try to keep my phone by my side at all times. I know it's a fear and it's one I'm trying to overcome. ??

• Posted

Do you set off alarms at airport security?  

It must be worse living alone.  Are you isolated or do you live near family or friends who can help you out?

Sensible to keep your phone with you.  Also would it be a good idea to have this info on you via some kind of medical bracelet?

• Posted

Hi Anhaga.

I went through security in a wheelchair at each airport and was taken aside to be scanned down. I was also patted with a hand. Not sure how I will go on if I travel again, but I'm not in a rush to do so. I have family living around 20 minutes away and I have plenty of friends I can call if I need anything but I'm independent. I can drive also. I did used to work nearly full time but since losing my job I have noticed the difference being home alone more and I sometimes think about my future. I don't think I really need a bracelet but I've never thought about that until you mentioned it. I find living alone harder not working and it does make you think of others living alone who are much older with more problems than what I have. Living alone never bothered me before because I was hardly ever home. I think as time goes on or I hope as time passes that I will gain more confidence but one bad fall can change your life not only physically but mentally. ??

• Posted

Yes it is tough.  I found that the winter I retired I was also ill with an as yet undiagnosed auto immune disease and it was very depressing.  It was also the winter from hell - eighteen months later and we are all still traumatized by it!  Things are much better for me now, but I do miss work, mostly just being with people.
    • Posted

You guys are breaking my heart...pray you are better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.