Broken up stools and incomplete BM's

Posted , 26 users are following.

Hi all,

I've been having this problem for a while now. When I have a BM, my stools are often broken into many pieces. I can't remember the last time I had a well formed "log". After I'm done it often feels like there's still some left inside my anus. Soon after eating I get discomfort, not pain, in my lower/middle intestinal area and flatulance/belching. It's enough to make me restless or irritable. It's like a slight urge to have a BM after every meal. Anyone experience these symptoms? Can someone recommend something that will help get me regular again?

1 like, 111 replies

111 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm also having similar issues, any help is appreciated. My gastro has reccomended that I increase my fibre intake, but i haven't done it actively yet.
    • Posted

Re: fibre intake I tried this with Porridge but it had a constipation effect. Now on grapefruit and did go to the loo afterwards but one minor rabbit dropping so no idea where to go next at the moment but with porridge I was constipated for about 18 days.

• Posted

I've been having this problem too with incomplete bowel movement, faeces being left in my anus. After eating having cramps and flatulence. My consultant told me to take Benefibre but I found this made me more constipated and very dizzy, even though I have been drinking plenty of water throughout the day. Has anyone else found this? And I think now I have a tear.
    • Posted

Hi marion i calofack and waited 20 mins and had a curry straight after i finished i start feeling flatulence in right hand side of stomach. Its a very bad idea of me having curry. Did a grave mistake now . I feel improved from calofack but curry messed it up.

whats your diet like have you changed it or do you hve spicy food. Plz let me know im asian and not sure what foods to have

• Posted

Update:

I thought I should also mention that my stools are sometimes a little flat, or pencil thin. Almost without fail, they're broken up into many pieces.

• Posted

I do as well. I had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy and they didn't find anything like Chron's, Colitis, cancer, Celiac disease, and etc. Anyone have any other ideas? Is this just IBS?
    • Posted

In my case the stools are usually fairly easy to pass (occasional constipation or diarrhea though of course - kind of depends) but there's always that last bit during a BM that won't come out. Sometimes I'll have to go several times during the day to get relief, and that's if I'm lucky.

A couple things that might be worth getting tested for are SIBO which has very similar symptoms to IBS and also Celiac Disease. Might be worth looking them up. I'm going to ask about them when I see a doctor again.

• Posted

SIBO is small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.  This is when too much bad bacteria builds up in your gut as a result of infection/prolonged use of

antibiotics and causes gut disturbances such as IBS.

• Posted

I was fine until about a month and a half ago. I'd had achy joints from stopping HRT and asked for something. My naturopathic Dr suggested I take glucosamine. I got the brand she said and the next day, had what I thought was the stomach flu, horrible headache and shortness of breath. I kept taking the glucosamine for about  weeks - thinking I had the stomach flu. Finally, I googled the symptoms and they match wtih an allergic reaction to glucosamine.I quit taking them. But now my bowels are off. The diarrhea stopped and I just had narrow stools or bits of stool. Now, just the past couple of days, I've had diarrhea again. 

I'm going to focus on the inflammation. I contacted a previous naturopathic Dr (who is also an OBGYN and takes care of broken bones and anything else, and is a thyroid expert), She told me to take turmeric for joint pain and also suggested a probiotic that I take once a day and doesn't need refrigerated. it's Fem Dophilus, made for women, from Denmark, and is for the vagina, any UTI etc. but the dophilus is good for the colon. 

I started to almost have regular stools again, but then now I've had a setback. I noticed it happened when I ate bacon.   So, I'm going to try a non-inflammation diet to try to get rid of the inflammation and get my normal stools back!

I got a list of foods from the Selah Natural Institute. My son, who had ulcerative colitis for yrs was able to heal himself with diet when his Dr wanted to remove half his colon. He found that not eating foods with additives, no gluten, so sugar, no dairy, no caffeine, that it enabled him to stop taking his meds he'd been taking for  yrs. It took about a year. He now can eat most things except gluten. 

• Posted

Hi jaseln samehere i have broken up stools to and its sooo stressing. I always feel gas in middle of night and flatulence at night im feeling it right now after a curry can you give some tips wht foods to have. Am i aloud suger tea coffee or currys or no
    • Posted

Hi jp have you tryed having benifiber its bulks up so its good it helps me abit
  • Posted

I do occasionally but not very often, say once a month but when I do it is often followed by softer and softer ones until it becomes slurry. 

I have never experienced the BM feel after every meal. I do get pain below my ribs occasionally, cramps.

That is my goal too regularity as scared to go back to work without this as I never know when an attack will happen so for me I have started the feeling of an attack, which means I often have to act fast, in a car, on the bus, on the train and in the street hence fear of not having access to a loo.

I know this sounds barmy for example fine today and if an attack did happen I am 30 secs from the loo but outside it is a whole different feeling.

• Posted

Has anyone tried bran flakes for porridge or muesli?
    • Posted

Made me worse as did bran. Given up eating breakfast at all now. 
    • Posted

Thank you. I have stopped eating porridge so switched to prunes the number one thing guaranteed to make me ill I have been told. For 3 days in a row I have eaten prunes to zero effect. This is the problem from me I will be free of illness but constipation just delays an attack and when it comes it is twice as bad.
    • Posted

Omg prunes nearly killed me!!! Had them every day with bran for two weeks. Boy did I suffer! Wrong type of fibre apparently
    • Posted

That is what I wanted to happen, well not kill me but definitely put me in the loo. They did not do anything and this is my concern as my body builds this all up and then bang and I am very ill with over 3 hours in the loo and sometimes sickness. This evening I am having apples and plums.

I want to suffer mildly and more regularly but what tends to happen is I am ill intermittently but when I am ill it is rather severe.

• Posted

I neve get urge to run or get loose bm. I just get pains and constipation. The pain was so bad. I wish there wasn't such a thing as damn IBS
    • Posted

That is fortunate for you as one of the things keeping me out of work as scared to travel, or go anywhere really.  I get pains and constipation too. I get very bad cramps. Indeed to wishing for no IBS. I used to go to a place of work without a care in the world. I still have no idea what happened. One day I was fine and the next I was not.
    • Posted

Yes. Inwasnthe same one day ok and well. The next I developed a small tingly sensation upper right abdomen. This has become progressively more noticeable since June last year. Now I have a constant ache and pain there which goes into back and around side. IBS symptoms have developed and I've just a feeling of unwellness. I've had tests done and no answers.
    • Posted

This is what happened to me in mid March last year.  One day I was fine but the next morning I woke up with a sore stomach.
    • Posted

Interesting how it just happens. I have pain right abdomen usually before illness. Last night for example I started to feel ill, started pacing with abdomen pain but could not  catch my breath, every breath turned into a burp. I started to massage my stomach as recommended in here. My body calmed slightly so sat down on the sofa where I proceeded to fall asleep until 2am. I woke this morning feeling fine but come 8pm this evening I was stuck in the loo for 90 mins, no cramps just illness. 

I do not have constant pain. I feel fine now if a little sleepy but I never know when I will need urgent access to the loo hence why I have become a hermit.

This just shows how many have such different and diverse symptoms. Not necessarily IBS but I always have a feeling of unwellness as I often have severe migraines, ones which cause dizziness and shaking. 

Sorry to to hear of your unwellness. That is very common re: no answers which may mean it is food intake or anxiety. Anxiety is a common trait in here. I have no idea if you are an anxious person. I am.

• Posted

Five years ago for me and it is still rubbish.  I woke up and had to keep getting up to use the loo. My then partner said what is wrong with me. I said not enough water must be dehydration. I am not used to being wrong but that is one of the most inaccurate statements I have ever made. Also because I have this condition it makes me very wary. I may go out 10 - 15 times and be ill once but that will make me wary to go out everyday. It is weird the way it infects the mind. I keep telling myself I will try work again next week and next week comes and I think maybe next week. It is a vicious circle.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.