broken wrist

Posted , 2 users are following.

i am having my cast off from a broken wrist in two weeks.  my work is asking me when i will be going back to work, as it is my first broken bone, i have no idea, will i be sign off  for a while after the cast is taken off or do i said that i can return to work to next day.  

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It is a very individual thing as it depends on the type of fracture and your experience of it. I went to work for most of the time when I had the plaster on (except the 1st week). Can you move your fingers /clench your fist? What type of job do you do?
  • Posted

hi..thanks for reply...i have two prombles....one is that i can not drive to my place of work and would need three buses changes to get there...it would take me well over 1.5to2.00 hour

my work is data processing for the whole day.... i can move my fringers but can not hold anything with it....i do not know what i broke as i did not speak to a doctor, only after i had a prem cast

put on. it was a case of seem you in two weeks...next!  overworked nhs

• Posted

I can see that you have some problems which i didn't have. My job includes keyboarding but not all day and my typing is a 2 finger job anyway! I also had no transport problems as i am in London and use public transport. I can't advise you on driving after the plaster is removed as i don't drive at all.

I was given more info about my fracture. It was just a simple single break with little movement. I could lift small things like a mug or plate right from the beginning. Have you needed many painkillers so far? I didn't at all. You are likely to find that the discomfort/pain gets worse again after the plaster is removed. Mine did a bit but I bought a wrist support (velcro fastening) from Boots which helped to support it. It sound as though you might need more time off. have you spoken to your GP?

• Posted

once again thank you, i will buy one of these wrist support...i just wanted to inform my work when they should except me back, never been on sick before. been sign off for four weeks, it harder than i throught it would be...can not open a can or lift any thing, washing my hair, brought a waterproof cover but drying it in a stlye is a no go.....i really think once the cast off, i should be back in work,   may just have to try two finger typing ,,,,.work will just have to take it that i will not be as fast as i was, i do get a bit of pain if i turn my hand sometime,  i think i was hoping that once tha ceast was off i would be back to normal.  this is nothing as it will repair in time...i thank myself luckly..i will let you know how i get on
    • Posted

Yes do let me know. Good luck! I only have minor discomfort now. If I stretch my hand out (palm upwards) and then rotate it so the palm faces down, i get a minor twinge on the little finger side. Also, when photocopying at work, it gets tired easily if the volumes are large. The wrist support I found it very helpful, particularly as i went off on holiday just a couple of days after the plaster came off. it protected it during the journey and reminded me not to pick up my suitcase with the right hand! Now I can carry bags normally again. I had my accident in late July and the plaster came off in early september.

Have you tried any of the wrist exercises? Just google wrist fracture exercises and you will find info sheets to download from UK fracture clinics. It is definitely worth doing this to improve your movement.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.