bronchiecstis

Posted , 9 users are following.

Can any one tll me if they get very breathless at times as if you cant get enough oxygn into your lungs xx

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Of course. It's part of this condition. However, there are ways of countering this. Make sure to drink plenty of fluids and inhale decongestion medication or at least just saline, as some people do. I personally find licorice root tea very helpful for this.

• Posted

hank for the info Alouette Its first time I have f really breatlhess xx
    • Posted

Well yes, as it progresses, breathlessness appears. I didn't have those problems at first eather, now, unfortunately, it happens every once in a while. Can you tell us more about your age and disease history. Maybe we can help with advice.

• Posted

I am 68 I have Rheumatoid arthritis .sjogrens and am waiting to go into hosal for major surgery on my my back I have a few crushed vertabrea due to the RA

xxxx

• Posted

I have a hard time breathing about 3 times per year and my doctor puts me on a course of prednisone and that clears uo the inflamation and after3 days I am breathing good again but I would ask your Doctor first.
  • Posted

Hello,

Yes, I do, although not all the time but when when I'm going through a bad patch I do get breathless and the fatigue is awful. Just hang on in there. Try some simple breathing exercises and stretches help when you expand your lungs.I do find my salt pipe (15 minutes a day) very helpful as, in my case, it loosens all the mucus and then I do my physio to bring it up. Its a bit of a bind but well worth the effort. 

• Posted

Hi dancing queen, could you try explaining how you do your physio? I tried going to the hospital in the mornings, but it only made things worse and made me tired and my lings irritated. I've found that relaxation is the best physio for me, as it lets my body relax and do its work. I just lie in bed for several hours and I gradually start clearing everything up.

• Posted

Hello Alouette

I do my physio every day even when I feel well. I start of by using my salt pipe which, when you breathe it you suck in the salt minerals. Just normal breathing in and out is sufficient. I do this for around 15 minutes.

Then I take myself off to my bed, build up a pile of pillows and lay sideways on them so my waist is on the pillows and my head is lower just resting on the best. This enables any mucus to flow easier from my lungs and then I huff and it comes into my mouth where I can spit out the mucus. I use an Acapella, again breathing but this time its when you breathe out that the Acapella causes a vibration inside my lungs (like a nurse doing "cupping" on your back). This vibration losens the mucus and allows it to come up to the mouth. You can check this out on the internet if your nurse can't tell you. It takes a bit of practice but you will find a way to do it that suits you. There are some good sites on youtube that will show you how to use the salt pipe and Acapella.

Best of luck

I can't tell you the relief once I have completed this routine. 

T

• Posted

I have an emergency inhaler which is not a steroid but just opens the airway and that is what that is for - breathlessness.  An example:  I was going to a restaurant with friends, one of whom had emphysema, and she noticed I was stopped in the parking lot and not moving because I couldn't get my breath at all.  I just stood there (as I do every time that happens) until it goes away and i can get enough breath to get me to the door.  She told me I needed oxygen.  When I saw my doctor and told him exactly all that, he said, 'no you don't need oxygen; that's when you need to use your emergency inhaler'.  I had never used it in all these years!  I thought if I eventually could catch enough breath I was doing fine - well now I know different (why don't doctors give us examples of when to use these things).

AND maybe you have something else going on that u might not be aware of if you haven't mentioned it to the doctor - I have asthma and that's why i got the inhaler but could u have adult onset asthma too?  I don't know if bronchiectasis causes breathlessness like I'm talking about but what you describe sounds like what I have occasionally, as described..

The kind of 'clogged up breathing' I get with bronchiectasis is different - it feels more like you can't breathe so well because you're clogged up with mucus that needs to come up.  The feeling is entirely different from the episode I describe above.

Tabatha

• Posted

Tab, how you been doing? I haven't been on the site for couple of months.

Im still hooked on black licorice since we started that converstion.

I have been doing well on the Azithromycin, but a couple a weeks ago I began to have more congestion and now have begun to have fatigue again. Waiting to hear back from my doctor about any adjustments we can make.

Interesting about you finding out that you needed your inhaler medication rather than Oxygen. So many ideas are floating around. "Who you gonna call"? Gostbusters!!

Sorry about being out of the loop. Just really busy and using up all my enegery I guess. Maybe needed a brake? Hope you are doing fine. 

Best

Russ

• Posted

Joycemadine, I have been lucky so far and not had problem with short of breath.

I think it's becasue the BRX has not advanced to that stage as of yet.Lucky me?

I have BRX for only nine years. A light weight compared to others on our site.  

But I am having second thoughts about taking hiking trips not for SOB so much but infection. Now I know I have to be more adventuresome and brave, because BRX waits for no one.

Really cool how I made this all about me, right?

I just read all the replys below and many remidies are offered that may be helpful for you.I particularly like what dancing queen has to offer.

Below is a website that is an artical about the combinaton of RA and BRX in patients. You may find it helpful in the since that special care most be taken when having the comninations of the two illnesses. If your doctors are not taking this in to consideration ( they probably are, but stranger things have happened) then perhaps you can ask for a medical aprroach that addresses this problem?

http://rc.rcjournal.com/content/58/4/694.full

All my best for you,

Russ

• Posted

Hi Joyce that's just how I am struggling for breath, I have the psudomonas and on strong antibiotics for ten day but I really am worried that I  can't breath properly.

regards

Rosemary

• Posted

Oh Roseyjoe I am sorry to hear you are struggling with your beathing can you tell me wahtt psudomonas is I havent heard of it .

​regards Joyce xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.