Bronchiectasis & general anaesthetic.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi again folks sorry to pester you all again, just need to pick your brains quickly. I have a knee operation on the 29th June & I have been trying to find out if a general anaesthetic is more dangerous for people with Bronchiectasis. I've had no luck so far so I thought I'd ask you lovely people as you always have the answers. I've had 11 operations in the past & this will be my 12th & I've always been ok after the GA but this time with my symptoms I'm not sure if I should be getting my self ready for any complications ? 

Any comments & help would really welcome.

thanks in advance everyone :0)

3 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Dear Dave

Of course circumstances will vary. However it is important that you discuss your fears and condition with your anaesthetist who will talk to you before your surgery. If you have them, tell your anaesthetist what normal is for you on your SATS reading. I have had surgery since being diagnosed with bronch. and all was fine. Surgical teams will be used to taking other conditions into account. You may also have a pre-assessment before surgery so don't forget to mention it there too. Best of luck

• Posted

Thank you broadsword, I have my pre op check this Wednesday so will have a chat with the nurse then, much appreciated advice, thanks again :0)
  • Posted

I've been under a stack of times. No issue. You may want to check with a physio or ask your doc.

But seriously it's a nice nap.

Good luck

• Posted

Your right about the nice nap stixlabushka, best feeling in the world when they inject the sleep solution into your hand lol. I'm sure I'll be ok as long as they remember to give me loads of coffee when I wake up lol :0)
  • Posted

Hi everyone, had my knee op on Monday just gone & all went great with the anaesthetic. The gent who administered the anaesthetic had my notes from my pre op check & saw I had bronchiectasis & mentioned it to me straight away, he knew about the condition & had a chat with me & reassured me all would be ok & it was :0). He did ask if I had heartburn & if so how often & what caused it which is something nobody else has done. He has made a note on my notes & will forward this onto the doctor at the respiratory clinic which is good. Just amazes me that the doctors didn't pick up on this but the pre op staff did & so did the gent in the anaesthetic room & both showed concern about it. Anyway I'm waffling again (sorry) the op went ok as far as I know, will find out more when I see the consultant in a month or so. Hope everyone is ok & this weather isn't making your condition worse, take care everyone & keep smiling & stay positive :0)
  • Posted

Hi Dave

Good your op appears to have gone well!

I am really interested in what you said about heartburn.  I saw physio this week and I mentioned I was getting heartburn/indigestion daily.  She looked a little confused, and said it was probably acid reflux?? Didn't seem concerned.  I do suffer with sinus problems and post nasal drip and wondered if heartburn was caused by mucus going down back of my throad into stomach causing acid?? Who knows, as you say, it depends on who you speak to about issues as to what reply you get.  So keep us posted as to what your consultant says about this.

As for the hot humid weather, it makes the old breathing difficult at times but its summer so got to expect a little sun, heat and humidity cheesygrin  

I wish you a speedy recovery  

• Posted

Hi trish, from what I've researched heartburn is caused by acid reflux & if left untreated the acid can leak into the lungs & cause damage & can be a cause of bronchiectasis, it can also be a sign that the sphincter at the base of the esophagus isn't closing which leads to acid leaking back up the esophagus & causing heartburn, it can also be a sign of cancer of the esophagus but this is a very very rare cancer so please don't worry trish. I never ever suffered from heartburn until I started to cough up blood & then was diagnosed with bronchiectasis & both the pre op staff nurse & the anaesthetist have said to mention this to the doctor at the respitary clinic as it might be the cause of my bronchiectasis. They have made a note of this on my notes & hopefully it be forwarded to the doctor. I'll keep you informed of the outcome when I see the Dr in August. My knee is doing great, the swelling has just about gone & ive up & about everyday since my op on Monday so that's a good sign. Thanks for your comment trish, take care & keep smiling :0)
  • Posted

That is good news Dave. Regardless of what your consultant says about the op ( whatever they told you about recovery time, double it ), the fact is you are up and still breathing. So the anaesthetic and your B was a good result
    • Posted

Hi broadsword, my knee is settling down very quickly & ive not had problems with my lungs from the anaesthetic so it looks like I'm well on the way too a speedy recovery :0). Thanks for your comment & hope your well :0)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.