Bronchoscopy with EBUS

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi, got diagnosed with Bronchiectasis 18 months ago, have only had 2 infections since. On a recent review at local hospital, saw a different Doctor, who was a little more thorough, and repeated CT scans on my lungs and sinuses. On getting results this week, it seems there was a lymph node enlarged at time of diagnosis ( i had pneumonia) which was still evident.

He has now said he is going to do a Bronchoscopy with Ebus.

Has anyone else had this done? I am dreading it, he does assure me , I wont know much about it , but it sounds ghastly?

Is this standard procedure in these cases?

Thanks

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, Just wanted to let you know that I had a bronchoscopy, albeit many years ago now. Please don't get too worked up about it. I had a local anaesthetic (I had to gargle with it to numb my throat) and then I just had to lay back and let them get on with it. At least it provided the diagnosis and how to treat it. It seemed a standard procedure at the time to me.

Let us know how you get on.

Anne

• Posted

I had a bronchoscophy in the 1970s and I don't remember it being painful, just a little uncomfortable. They pumped a chalky liquid into the lungs, which then showed up the lung damage on xray. I don't know what an Ebus is, but the procedure must be more thorough and less invasive now, so I wouldn't worry.

Best wishes,

John

• Posted

Hi I had this done to me 2 years ago so I'm sure it's not changed. Like others say it's a bit uncomfortable but not painfull I did feel a bit sore the next day but it's nothing to worry about. Good luck you will be fine let us know how it goes.?

• Posted

Hi. Yes I have had this done it is nothing to worry about . Ask for a seditive ,which I think they will give you anyway. I don't remember a think just when it finished and I was coughing a lot . But it will will be fine . Let us know how it goes 

• Posted

Bricklayer,

I have had numerous bronchoscopies over the years. Each time I was put completely under (I live in the states), so I didn't feel a thing. I had them due to so much mucus in my lungs, my body wasn't getting enough oxygen.

They can't get every bit of mucus out. The tubes that are used can't get to the smaller airways, but by removing mucus from the larger airways, the smaller ones can now be loosened by coughing.

Now that I know how to clear my lungs, I haven't had a bronchoscopy in over a 1 1/2 yrs.

• Posted

thanks Elizabeth, apparantly im having this with a heavy sedation technique....glad all going well for you.
  • Posted

It sounds like in your case, they are doing it to see what shape your lungs are in.  They will most likely take a biopsy to see if anything is growing in there as well. They may 'wash' out your lungs as well to remove what they can.

Your throat maybe a little sore for a day or two. Gargle with salt water will help. And you may cough up mucus a little more for a day or two, due to the tubes loosening the mucus.

It sounds ghasly, but it isn't.  Beth

• Posted

BL, I am a Registered Nurse and for abour seven years was the nurse who gave medications for pain and sedation for a porcedure called a Transesopogeal Echo Caridogram or TEE. The two procedures are very similar though the TEE went through the esopagus (food tube) and the EBUS goes into the lungs. The echo part of the examine is taking pictures inside you lunds similar to the ultrasound they use to visulize a baby in the mother's womb.I could not find a typical time for the EBUS, but I'm sure that it depends on what the Dr needs to examine. I had this procedure done about twenty years ago and do not remember the study and did not have discomfort afterwards.

It sounds like of course they want to examine the lymph node that you indicated.

Your doctor can tell you more about what to expect.  So, you mentioned that the EBUS sounded ghastly and certaily might be without the medications they give you for pain and sedation.

Hope this helps,

Russ

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.