Bruised feeling but not bruised?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My whole body feels bruised to the touch but there's no actual bruising and I've not done anything I can think of to cause this (I haven't exercised a lot or drastically changed what I eat, everything is just normal and then I get this feeling). It's not like the tenderness you get when you've worked out, the best thing I can liken it to is the feel of sunburn when it feels slightly bruised and very tender. What causes this??

It may be unrelated but I also suffer with bad headaches and have done for a long time. I was diagnosed with migraines when I was 14 (scary migraines at that- I partially lose my vision, can't speak, read, write, understand language- to the point where I can't form concious thought in words - and I lose limb movement to varying degrees each time. They take about a week to recover form and I become extra sensitive to light and noise. I always feel paranoid about my migraines because when an ambulance picked me up the first time it was a suspected TIA but I was then told it was just a migraine. However no tests were done which still leaves a bit of me wondering!). The headaches I get now (I've not had a proper migraine in quite a while) are horrible, they feel like someones whacked me in the head with a bat and i do get the sensation that things jerk forward. These are often joined by a dull ache towards the top of my head and pain behind my eyes.

Those two things could be totally unrelated but I thought I'd mention it just in case smile 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The first part should be checked by a neurologist. Sounds like a CNS overreaction of some kind. Could be related to the migraines, but not necessarily.

Do you have any known health conditions?

How long have youu been feeling this and is it consistent, all the time or does it come and go?

Do you take any medication or supplements?

Do you have any allergies?

The second part, "migraines", requires some assessment. You could have venous thrombosis. It is not dangerous to the same extent as arterial thrombosis but it would be pertinent to rule it out all the same. TIA should have been ruled out at the time. Perhaps tests were done that you were unaware of? Were you seen by a neurologist at the time?

Further, your blood was not tested at the time your headaches started at 14?? If not I would, at your earliest convenience, check your blood clotting factor and look for any signs of thrombophilia. I would also expect to get an MRI done during your next episode. Are the episodes related to a specific time in your monthly cycle?

• Posted

I have no known health conditions or allergies, the only medication I'm on is the contraceptive mini pill (not the normal one because I have migraines). The bruised feeling is on and off and the headaches are a daily occurance (the migraines are rare though). I was blood tested, was never told of any results so assumed nothing showed up. The only thing with the blood test I can think of is that it took 9 attempts to get blood and needed a hot water bath to draw blood properly

• Posted

The 9 attempts could be due to tension.

I would ask a GP about another look into this and perhaps a referral to a neurlogist. Daily headaches and waves of tenderness you describe do require assessment. Both could be related to the mini-pill theoretically however. Another, perhaps more likely, possibility is extreme tension/stress build-up if all your previous tests were ok (if they weren't you'd know). See if you can get some fresh blood tests and see what GP says. Let us know how it goes pls. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.