bruises on arms with fine skin, normal elsewhere.

Posted , 14 users are following.

I have bruises on my arms and I understand this comes from the Predn. though what is confusing me is that my skin on arms from elbow joing down to top of fingers is very fine and like paper and therefore every little nock or bump creates these unsightly red marks. 

Why does this happen only on that part of my body, and my skin is normal to touch and look at on legs, face, back etc?

I have come down in 18mths from 50mgs of Pred. to 7.5mgs, and this phenomenem is becoming worse, I thought it would correct itself being on a lower dose of Predn.

My MOON face is almost back to normal, also my weight.

My inflamatory markers are high once again, though I have very little pain happening now.

thanking you in anticipation.

Track

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

pred will make your skin thin and dry... I have a large dog and after even little play with him, my forarms look like I had a fight with cats.  I asked my rheumy few days ago, during appointment about it and he said that skin will go back to normal only after completely off the prednisone.
    • Posted

Thank you Nick for your comments, I guess will have to live with this for awhile yet, seems strange that it happens only on forearms, in my case anyway.

Track

• Posted

It took about two years after finishing pred.for my skin to get back to full strength.

Until I read your post I hadn't realised that in my case, too, only  arms had been affected.  Thinking about it I wonder whether it's just because it's our arms that are most exposed? I didn't just get red marks;  often the top layers of skin peeled right off. I took to wearing a padded jacket even in hot weather when I was gardening.

• Posted

A lot of things can raise the inflammatory markers - including colds and chest infections.

I think BettyE is right about our arms being more exposed so they get bashed more. I've actually never had a real problem, just a few petechiae rather than bruises - I know someone else who is the same and the thing we have in common is never using soap for anything other than hands. If I use showergel the skin on my arms suddenly gets very dry - and when I forgot myself and used some in the morning before flying from Europe to Vancouver I sat and watched the skin on my arms literally flake off! It took a fair bit of moisturising cream to sort it out. The other lady swears by Doublebase (or Diprobase) - unperfumed emollient creams. In the UK you can get it on prescription.Some people in the US have managed to buy it via that well known site from South America...

• Posted

A couple of dermatologists have told me that the susceptibility of arms (and in my case, legs) to bruising, thinning of skin to the point that it just peels off at the slightest abrasion, etc. is due somewhat to long exposure to the sun. And then there is the added affect of preds.

As a younger person I soaked up a LOT of sun. Often staying out nearly all day without sunscreen in Florida. For a few years in my late 50s, early 60s I wore no clothing while sunning.

• Posted

Could well be - but my MIL never indulged in the sun and the skin on her legs was very fragile, no pred to blame!

Hope you were careful with where you put the sunscreen... winkcool

• Posted

My husband ordered me double base (with the pump) through Amazon from the UK.  It's great.

I have bruising on my arms AND legs.  When the skin becomes raw and needs  a dressing, I use non stick gauze pads and a stockinette over it (That my podiatrist gave me), NO tape.  I did buyi long socks (knee length) but rarely use them here  in Florida.  I've learned to accept this condition, and my MD's are doubtful there will be much improvement.  So be it.  My skin is thin and has sun damage.

• Posted

When I looked I was horrified at the delivery price - but of course if you have someone with Prime you won't have to pay it will you? I have never used Amazon for things - just my Kindle!

Bit warm in Florida for long socks isn't it? Long flowing wide trousers sounds more like it!

• Posted

My husband has Prime Amazon and order much through that, for him and for me.  It is a big savings.

Long flowing wide trousers would look ;lovely, but are impractical; I normally wear capris, which generally reach mid calf.  At my age, I don't worry so much about bruises showing; it is  what it is!

• Posted

Well yes - my favourites are about mid-calf. I had a couple of pairs that were full length, like divided skirts, and I shortened them. Wish I could get more and I'd leave them a bit longer. 

• Posted

My forearms are already scarred from my skin getting ripped off by just brushing past the protruding door nob plate on the door frame. I actually tried bandaging with antibiotic ointment but the bandage adhesive caused problems. I ended up cutting the ankle part of old socks and slipping it over the forearm as a way to hold the ointment and later moisturizer in place.

I found arnica infused oil- NOT homeopathic preparations applied then doublebase over that healed everything. Arnica was recommended by a surgeon in the past for bruising. I also add some helichrysm oil to it. 

It's now easier in winter with long sleeved tops protecting the arms.

• Posted

Yup, fingers and arms are the worst.  Not so much dry as I use moisturizers over all my skin.  Howerver, it doesn't take much to break the paperthin skin on hands and forearms.  If I need a bandaid, they have to be those for "sensitive skin" otherwise I end up with a huge purple/red bruise when I take it off! I also bruise quite easily on other body parts and they take a long while to disappear.  

• Posted

I have the same problem but also all down my shins. Both lower arms and legs look like I have done ten rounds with Mike Tyson! My skin is so thin and papery that it breaks at the merest rub and then I bleed badly and it is difficult to stop the bleeding. I use tape for sensitive skin to hold on pads and it can take many weeks for the scab to come off and surrounding bruise to disappear. I use Arnica to help with the bruising and either the Diprobase type of skin emollient mentioned in other replies or Cetromagrocol, which is similar, but which I prefer. I am on 11mg of Pred now but don't imagine this condition will disappear any time soon. So, you are not alone! Loulie

• Posted

I am always covered in bruises, arms, legs, hands. I am not sure where some of them come from. I also have the red marks, purpura, they are mainly on my forearms. When I started pred they were really bad and I looked as if I had walked through a bramble hedge. Now I am down to 6mg I thought I would be over it but I still have the problem although not quite as bad. I also have them on my upper arms every so often and occasionally my legs. I am not sure how they appear. If I have a blood test I cannot have a plaster as it tears off my skin when I take it off.
  • Posted

same here. Any touch from my dogs nails will cause blood and bruising.  Now I am on lower dose of Pred it seems to be getting a bit better or maybe I am just more careful.....
    • Posted

Same problem, and the purpura started mainly on the top of my hands two years ago.  I am on 5 1/2 mg prednisone, but it is still happening.  I use a heavier type skin colored make up -- continuous coverage  -- for the spots until it is washed off.  I also use Vitamin E and A oil and a fairly heavy skin cream.  
    • Posted

I must admit I do not bother to cover the purpura up, I just leave it. Probably people give me a wide berth! I get a cheap thrill when I am swimming checking how many I have, perhaps the pred is affecting my mind! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.