0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Correction *Should Read Any Thoughts*
  • Posted

Hi

Can I ask why you are on the patch??

How often do you need to change ?

Is this your first time on slow release opiates, I assume you are getting a lot of side effects?

Regards

George (UK)

• Posted

Hello 

Ive been prescribed The Patch for Short Term Relief Iam waiting for Knee Replacement Also Other OA Pain 

5mg change every 7 days 

Havent Been on Patch Before I hope to Start Today (Weds)

Thanks

• Posted

Oh ok, well if it is for short time and you 100% think it will ease the pain until you have the knee op you have nothing to loose.

If you do get side effects let me know. I have been on opiates for a long time due to bad spinal problems, I am now taking a tablet twice a day and all the side effects I had with others I don't have with this.

Hope all goes well with the knee op.

George

• Posted

I use to have to take high doses of opiates multiple times a day due to a work comp accident that injured three disc in the lumbar region of my back to the point three discs ruptured and caused a severe nerve impingement. After a year of non stop pain they operated putting in artificial disc and a surgically implanted a pain pump in my abdomen and a really small tube going around my side to my back just above the injured vertebrae and disc the tube basically delivers fentanyl directly to the spinal cord the pump is programmable so it sends meds there at the same time all day in a super low dosage. I got my life back thanks to a intrathecal pain pump i have zero side effects.
  • Posted

Probably two of the most critical things that you need to consider when being on this is number one the dependency on opiates you will get. This does not mean you necessarily become addicted where you will desire the high from the medicine. The dependency means that your body will become accustomed to it and you will not be able to just stop it without going through withdrawals. Secondly you'll have to deal with a lot of constipation issues on it I suggest you use something like Miralax to keep yourself normal as possible.

BTW I've been on opiates for about eight years and in that time I have gotten off of them once and then had to start them back up again unfortunately. So I do know what it's like to get off of them. And the best way to get off of them is to taper down. Of course you can't taper down on the patch but if it comes time to get off of them your doctor will start you want pills and then taper you down a dose at a that time until you finally get down to no pills. This way your withdrawal is a very minimal.

But I think the dependency issue needs to be seriously considered before starting opiates. I am assuming your doctor has tried other methods of pain control before putting you on opiates. If not I would demand he or she try something else first. There are things called Gabapentin that helped a lot of people. And of course depending on where you're hurting there are injections available. Just be sure you consider all your other options before you get on opiates.

• Posted

Oh this is just for short term prior to Knee Replacement Surgery 

Thanks for The Info 

• Posted

Hi

I have prescribed these for a chronic pain on my right flank as other painkillers were not efficient

In terms of pain management, it works really well for me. The first week was a bit difficult because it got me drowsy. This may have been worsened as I was really tired. I am on the 2nd week, and I have less side effects

Another upside I found is that I don't have to stuff myself with a big quantity of tablets (I was taking up to 15 tablets all together every day at some point!) as i keep it 7 days, which means less harm to my stomach and kidneys.

I don't know about withdrawal symptoms, it is the first time I use these. However, like any opiates, there is a risk of addiction. You should dicuss this with your doctor beforehand if you have any concerns.

Good luck !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.