bulging disc, lumbar epidural and GP giving biased opinion

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have two bulging discs in my lower back, I have had an epidural which wore off after 77 days.  I have another one booked but it isn't until November so today I went  to my GP to get pain killers for the mean time. 

After explaining why I was there the first thing he said was "I'm going to challange everything you say" and started going on about how the epidural and surgery don't work and how I would be better off seeing a psychologys to deal with the 'fear' of my back pain.  

he continued to shove his opinion down my throat to the point of tears and told me that every time I get the epidural I am costing the NHS money, and that I would be better taking the pain killers... 

I just want to know other peoples opinion on this and what they think of how my GP spoke to me because I don't agree that the way he spoke was good practise.   

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I was referred to the pain clinic by my orthopedic doctor, and the point was to keep from taking narcotics and lucky you for it lasting 77 days, mine only last 40 days.  No I don't think your gp knew what he was talking about.  I think your gp was way out of line.  Anytime we can keep from taking pain killers the better.

• Posted

Sophie,

Stop - run from the GP as fast as you can...after you get a copy of your Med record from his office. I could go into a diatribe about this GP's own fears, transference and incredibly irresponsible practice. Condescending doesn't even describe his treatment of you. Run!

Think no more about him. Research good providers and make an appointment. Be specific when you talk about your pain; location, quality, severity, frequency, what makes it worse and what makes it better.

I belong to a local chapter of a national organization called "PAINS". I recommend all chronic pain experiencers and family to visit the national website and then locate a chapter in their area. There's so much information there.

We all know that pain comes from our brains. But some folks don't fully get what that means. If there is something wrong with your back, psychotherapy like EMDR and mindfulness can be helpful, but you still need medical treatment! When that provider breaks his ankle, make sure to lean over and tell him to visit a therapist for that pain!

Rebecca

• Posted

I am so sorry to hear you have been treated so badly. Your doctor, who isn't worthy of the name, is wrong. I have had three injections and the third one worked brilliantly. The fact that yours lasted for some time shows the surgeon nearly got it right. My first two only lasted a short time but oh the relief. Change your doctor or ask, no demand, a second opinion. Good luck. D

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.