Bunion and hammertoe surgery in teenagers?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi my name is Tori, I'm scheduled to get bunion and hammertoe surgery on June 30th, 2016. I haven't taken X-rays yet because it must be done one month in advance from my surgery. Anyway, I am unsure wether or not my doctor will have both done or one, because although both of my bunions are severe, my left one looks worse but my right one has less range of motion and more pain. I've had to quit cheerleading for my school and I just want to know if anyone around my age(15) has had bunion surgery before and wouldn't mind sharing how they felt during recovery. I've read countless of stories and expierences online but most of them have either been from adults or elders. If anyone has anything to help me it would be greatly accepted, and I will try to update further later on. Thanks to anyone who replies and I will try my hardest to reply back!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey Toribee 

Are you having just the hammer toe surgery or bunions corrected also?

J :-)

• Posted

I'm going to be having a bunion surgery as well! I know I am going to have some screws but I won't know until June 20th which is when I have my pre-op!
  • Posted

I'm 25 but typically, the younger you are, the better outcome. I don't have hammertoes but I do have bunions and also have hypermobile feet. Not sure what kind of surgery will be done for your bunions but my procedure was a lapidus procedure on my right foot and osteotomy of my pinky toe (all a couple other things that I don't remember, medical terms). I had mine done March 10th and I'm still on crutches. I was in a splint for two weeks then a cast for a month then transitioned to a black boot (not sure what they're called) and I was instructed to perform range of motion on my big toe because it was stiff from not moving it for so long. Last week, my doc gave me to go to walk and I'm in a surgical shoe until I'm able to put my foot back into an athletic shoe (I have to buy a bigger shoe to compensate for swelling).

The worst part of recovery is the first 2-3 days after surgery. I also had complications due to narcotics which actually sucked a lot more than the surgical pain. Once the pain subsided, it really wasn't too bad. I had twinges of pain in my foot every now and then and my toes would twitch which would cause pain but it's not that bad, although pain is different for everyone. Walking hurts in my foot and ankle because I haven't put weight on that foot for a long time and my muscles were pretty much gone from my leg so I'm working to get them back because I can't walk without support yet.

Sorry I can't advise on hammertoes though

• Posted

Thanks so much for sharing! I've also been known to have troubles with the anesthesia and narcotics. Hopefully it won't be too bad though, please update if anything changes I'd love to hear from you!
  • Posted

Hi Toribee, I had bunion surgery on my right foot with 2 hammer toes on 4th May.  To be fair the first 4 days were more uncomfortable than painful and I managed perfectly well with Ibruprofen and Paracetamol.  I had MIS (minimally invasive surgery) so I only have tiny scars that are already faded and I am sure this has helped my recovery.  First 2 weeks I did exactly as told and feet were up for 50 mins out of every hour, my surgeon was pleased at 2 weeks when bandages came off and I am wearing an elasticated splint to keep my ex hammer toes in place.  Obviously I am still wearing the lovely surgical boot but hope to have it off next week.  Swelling has gone down well although still swelling up at the end of the day and I am sure I cannot get regular shoes on quite yet but hope by next week will have gone down enough to get wide shoes on. Would be happy to hear how you get on and best of luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.