Bunion and hammertoe surgery with pin removal

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had bunion surgery 4 1/2 weeks ago. Bunions shaved off on both sides of right foot, as well as screw in big toe to straighten and second toe/hammertoe correction with a "to be removed" protruding pin. I was pretty nervous having the surgery but couldn't handle the pain anymore, from mostly my hammertoe problem. I'm looking forward to eventually being able to wear normal shoes, rather than only flip flops!

Surgery went well with a general anesthetic - no side effects. I made sure to take the pain pills faithfully the first day and 1/2. The second half of that day, I cut the pain pill in half a couple of times. By the third day, I only took 1 pill all day. By day 4, I stopped taking completely. I made sure I rested with my foot up, faithfully, and am still careful of taking breaks, during the day and putting it up.

I wear the special shoe constantly, even at night. If I have to get up at night, it is already on and I don't have to fumble to get it on to get up. I do sometimes take the shoe off, while resting, to get the air to my foot. It's definitely a touchy situation, where you want to be very careful to not bump your foot, obviously!

I have noticed that my surgery foot is darker in color (and up to my calf) than the other foot, now. My surgery foot and toes, were quite red for the first 2 weeks, and now still pinkish and darker, as well as up to my calf. The Doctor said this happens and is normal, but it bothers me that it is this way. ive read that it can take months for the color to correct.

I am due to have the pin removed on 10/20. That has me more worried than Anything regarding this surgery so far. The comments here regarding the removal, have helped to relieve my mind, and I feel less anxious about it now, although I am still not looking forward to it, (but I am, to just get it out!).

I would not put off having this surgery again, except for having to stay off your foot as much as possible, so far it has been a breeze for me. My one suggestion to help with your mobility is to get yourself a knee scooter, instead of crutches! It is much easier and comfortable! It saved me for getting around in the house and later maneuvering to doctor appointments. I found mine, with a front basket (a must) on Craig's list for $75.00. You can also rent them for a month. Well worth it!

I'll update after 10/20 with the pin removal experience. Good luck to all with having this surgery!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Loreen

I had my pin removed last week and it took two attempts for him to pull it out.. was not happy but thank god I took 2 Oxy.. after next week I noticed my toe was not straight.. it's now slanted but the bunion looks wonderful...

• Posted

Thanks for your reply and info.  Yes, I'm concerned about the pin removal for sure.  I will take an Oxy, myself, but if I took 2 of them, I'd be flying! haha!   My toe right now, with the pin, looks straight enough, but it's swollen.  I hope it will be straight after the pin removal, but even if it shouldn't be, it is already soooo much better than having that miserable hammertoe.  Hope your foot keeps improving.

• Posted

Lol

I wish I would of taken 3 but my husband held me back,, my foot was in pain for a few days but felt so much better with out the pin..I had the pin in my big toe so was more difficult to remove.. I would think that the hammer toe would Slide out earlier.. I to was supposed to have hammer toe fixed but he just relieved the tendon and cut a little joint from the toe but no pin.. I was so surprised that he also didn't leave any screws or wires anything To hold my bunion toe together.. maybe that's why my toe is now slanted.. they do what they think would be best for us but in long run who suffers.. the patience 😥In few years I may have to go back in to correct the toe..

• Posted

Oh geez!  That's too bad if you have to go back in for that!  We can only take the Doctors at their word, that's for sure, we have to trust them, but you are right, we are the ones to pay the price.

I have a really nice doctor and he has assured me that it will not hurt to take out the pin, but I'm not believing him!  I warned him! haha!  Good luck to you

• Posted

Loreen, thank you for sharing your experience. I'm scheduled for the same surgery in 2 weeks and have been freaking out over the whole pin thing. After reading your story, I'm a bit more calm.

thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.