BUNION HAMMER TOE SURGERY WEEK 3

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had surgery 3 weeks ago today to shave bunon and reposition with screws and my hammer toe (2nd toe) straightening + k wire. Following my registras advice I started walking flat footed only a week ago ( still using crutches) I elevate too. I feel like my big toe is moving up ( as if I have cramp) and that my 2nd toe is moving downwards periodically.  While I appreciate how recovery differs per individual- I am concerned that I still need crutches and about the sensation of my toes ' moving' spontaneously. My wire comes out 7 weeks post op hence the flat footed walk.

Thanks for reading

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nellie I am 9 weeks post op and I had same op including shaving down mallet toe. I experienced same flat rootedness. My surgeon suggested off the shelf Vasyli orthotics as my foot will change and too early for bespoke ones. When kwire out and heal wounded 2 weeks later) bandages will be off and toe exercise will begin and walking. I overdid it (I was itching to get back rambling) 1 mile each day has been too much and I am back to 1/2 day elevation as toes like sausages and foot swollen. I go on holiday Monday 
    • Posted

Hi Brenda, nice to hear from you!

Thats useful to know, I hve been looking at the scholl gel insoles to wear but I won't know what siz shoe I guess until my wire is removed (13/5). If m trainer does not fit I will order some wde fitting ones. I am a size 8.5-9 shoe its hard enough getting womens shoes to fit a size 9 let alone eee fitting. I hve been desperate to get out so hired a wheel chair but the trauma of being pushed!! Went to a supermarket the other day and had so many trolleys whizzing by ( it was a quiet time too!) I was paranoid about getting my k-wire caught !!

I hope you have  super holiday you certainly deserve it! We are going to Dorset in July I hope that by then I will be confident in walking ;( It the best part!

• Posted

Haha Nellie. I too thought of a wheelchair but the pavements in London are full of potholes so never did that. I relied on friends and the odd taxi as husband does not drive! Shoes. I am there and the same size as you. My walking boots Brasher lite size 42 men's fit but they are too stiff on the upper foot. My husbands 44 trainers had to do for a while but I now have my daughters 43 New Balance trainers with my vasylili orthotics. A couple of days ago I bought some navy suede posh lace ups from Sanders where they are so patient. I have once bought there in a sale but these were size 42.5 German Semler fully leather lined and soft uppers £179!!!! I didn't even blink ... Ouch. The 42s were not long enough and yes they were wide with removable leather inbuilt light orthotics. So I am foot knitted out for holiday. Going to the gym this week most days has helped. I stand, just, on tiptoes and do arm exercises, bike and masses of floor exercises. I go again tomorrow. 7lbs extra weight from 8 weeks inactivity around bottom, thighs and tum!
    • Posted

wink  Good morning Brenda! Your shoes sound wonderful I will do a little research re footwear !  I had embarked on a weight loss progrmme in January and have lost 20lbs since january. I only weigh myself monthly and last weighed myself the day I had my surgery. I am using my bodyblade to do upper are/back and core exercises.I have tried to get moving at least every hour going up and down stairs on my bottom for added exercise. I have stook to me healthy eating plan but must confess when visitors have come I have succomed to tiny pieces of cake! Hopefully not too much damage!!  

I am concerned that I have started flat foot walking much soner than other people. From this site, difference in our post operative care is incredicble. I must have come across 20 or so different post op instructions!  Heres to you shedding the post op pounds and for your continued recovery (and new shoe purchases!) Take care smile

• Posted

Thanks for your kind wishes Nellie. I took 2 paracetamol during the day yesterday as i had facial threading done (never done that before) I think it helped the foot too and I had again been to the gym. My legs are feeling less achy now and the foot very slightly better but still swollen. I am finding Pilates and standing on  tip toe and one leg strengthening exercises help. I must keep those up daily on holiday. I have been driving since bandages off. The weight! I am trying not to think about it. Walking is the best exercise and that's the only thing I can't do! I went to the chiropodist yesterday and she said I'm doing well. Half mile walk and rest is my limit least the foot swell too much. Perhaps I will get the disability buggy at the airport and wave as I pass my husband!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.