bunion op

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi all had a bunion op just over two weeks ago,all well up to 2 days ago slight infectiom in the big toe stitch did not dissolve.got tablets to take,i go back in 4 weeks ago,i was hoping to go back to work 4 weeks after op but i am a delivery driver general labourer for my work this is going to be a long shot.there is no light duties i can do as have to wear the shoe still the flat one now,but have to wear safety boots at work.anyone got any advice for me please how long it takes to go back to work thanks carl

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carl, did you not ask your surgeon before the operation? To get back into safty boots might just take some time, as you will find that your feet will be swollen quite some time. Try lymphedic massages and keep up the cool packs on your feet. 4 weeks to get back into safty boots, very optimistic and you should have been told. Can you get the boots one size bigger?
    • Posted

hi they said it be least 6 weeks to be of work,i been told the basic info not been told do you have physio,i done my own to be fair.

• Posted

Physio is for mobilisation not to reduce swelling. The swelling is individuelle and depends on how fit you are and your age. The younger and fitter the quicker it reduces. Just keep up cooling your feet and try lymphetic massages, to help reducing the swelling. I had a different operation, micro invasive and still took me a while to get into my old shoes. I started with trainers a size bigger and gradually got into my normal shoes. All takes time and if they say at least 6 weeks, put another 4 on top.
    • Posted

hi so its looks like a 6 week break of work,been just over two weeks now,i am 34 and active and keep as fit as i can i dont smoke and really drink either,the nurse was happy with my progress part from the little infection in my big toe,no sign of swelling etc i never used the crutches either 
    • Posted

Hi Carl I too have to wear safety shoes I went back after 4 weeks I'm in catering and was told that as long as the crocks the same as chefs sometimes wear but they at to have a strap on the back even after saying this the top of my foot was a bit too swollen so I wore compression stocking under my socks and that worked I did have to buy quite a small size not saying what I did was right but it worked for me I had my op done at the end of March and my foot still swells a great deal my big toe is still quite big as well

• Posted

Hi Carl.... Most surgeons say an initial 6 weeks but I think this

is the time period in which it takes for things to show how well

they are healing. My surgeon has said if can take a full year to

get back to normal.

There's also the issue of driving....again 6 weeks is

recommended. You should comfortably be able to do an

emergancy stop..... Some insurance companies also stipulate

the own rules...

• Posted

hi thanks for the reply,i went back to the hospital weds i got a slight infection in my big toe where the stitch did not dissolve,got tablets to take part from that i have done great,i expect to be of work for the 6 weeks now,was hoping to go back to work in 4 tho.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.