Bunion operation in Ireland

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hello everyone, I am new to this discussion. I am contemplating bunion surgery and hammertoe correction in July. Has anyone on the discussion board had this operation done in Ireland. Also has anyone had keyhole bunion surgery done in the UK. Mary

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Mary

Can't really help you here as I had my surgery done in Tayside in Scotland and I didn't have keyhole surgery either! However I did get both feet done at once and that was, for me, a good move! I had bunion surgery on both feet and a hammertoe correction on my left foot. This was at the end of February this year and I'm just coming up for 6 weeks post op. I've been lucky and only really suffered pain for the first week, after that it's just been discomfort. My feet are healing nicely- or so it looks to me! I think the bit you have to be prepared for mentally is the six weeks of complete idleness..................sitting on a sofa with your feet up and getting up as little as possible. For me the six weeks hasn't been long enough- I guess I may be a slob at heart!!

Would I do it again- yes....my feet are going to look (and feel I hope) better than they have for ages.

This forum has been a great help- especially in the early days.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

E

• Posted

Hello Mary.

I had bunion correction (Hallux Valgus) and 2nd Hammertoe Correction surgery 27 November 2013. You may like to scroll way back on this discussion site as I've made lots of comment on my surgery and the outcome). However, for now, I can report good things. My surgery went very well. My bunion was considered ' a substantial bunion' - anything with a bend of 30% angle is considered 'substantial' apparently - and mine was 37%. Was kept in hospital overnight following surgery due to me being quite sick after the anaesthetic. But I actually didn't mind this as it allowed me time to adjust and get used to have a very heavily bandaged foot. I had a session with the physiotherapist day following my surgery who showed me how to manage my crutches and also manage stairs using the dummy staircase in the hospital. Not a full flight of stairs!

I was given lots of pain relief and had a pain block in my foot. This didn't fully wear off until a few hours after I arrived home. I was very wary about the pain I was told to expect following this surgery. But, happily this was really minimal and very manageable. I had Ibuprofen and Paracetamol and also Tramadol. The Tramadol and me didn't get on with one another and it made me very dizzy and vomit. I decided after 2 days to leave it off completely. This was a very wise move and it was then that I realised that in actual fact I perhaps didn't need it at all. I stayed in bed for 2 days in order to allow my foot plenty of rest and also to avoid putting any undue pressure or stress on it. I invested in a bed cradle which has proved invaluable in keeping the weight of the bedclothes off my foot. The first few days negotiating the stairs - as our only bathroom and lavatory is upstairs - took a little getting used to but with allowing myself plenty of time ( as soon as you feel the need to visit the lavatory start to make your way there ) I soon got the hang of it. I had a long handle soft fabric bag in which I carried my mobile phone and the house hands free landline phone and any other little bits and bobs I needed to take up stairs ( or bring down). As I have already mentioned I have included all these points in my earlier contributions to the discussion site which I began following in mid January) . Anyhow, now at almost 19 weeks post op I'm just about back to pre-op walking. My dressings were changed at 2 weeks ( 12 December) and 6 weeks ( 9 January) and the K-Wire was removed also at this appointment. A further lighter bandage was applied on 9 January which I was instructed to remove at home myself and then use the flat soled post-op shoe. Up to this point I was in a rather inelegant heel-wedge shoe. I thought it was wonderful if rather an ugly looking thing to be wearing. It certainly did its job and I soon got used to wearing it and even became rather attached and reliant on it.

I have had aches and pains along the way especially once the walking became more frequent after the bandage came off. But you will know when to stop and get that foot elevated in order to gain relief from the throbbing.

The throbbing is quite severe in the early days but I only had it if my foot was down for too long. Once elevated again the relief is amazing.

I can only say that in my experience I have no hesitation about going ahead later in the year and having my other foot done.

The key to a good recovery is to do as you've been advised; resign yourself to the fact that you'll be just about out of circulation for 6 weeks in the first instance with further weeks of having to take great care. The swelling is another matter which you must understand you will have and this will take a long time to go completely. I only now have a minute amount which seems to present itself only if I've been on my feet too long. My life is just about back to normal. I'm able to drive again ( as from 9 February) and if you drive an automatic vehicle you are required to inform your insurer that you have had bunion surgery. It does not impact on your insurance premium. It is a precautionary requirement in case of an accident.

If you require any further help I'll be happy to hear from you. I am not going to be around for a few days but please leave your messages and I'll reply on my return.

• Posted

Hi Gillian. V interested in you bunion and hammertoe op. I need to get this done and just wondering if you are in Ireland? Hope you are doing ok. I am in Dublin. Thanks Gillian.
    • Posted

hi Gillian,

​od thread but of interest to me. smile

​it seems like had a successful surgery and i was wonderin if could share the name of your consultant th me as i'm looking to do the surgery smile

• Posted

Hi Gillian

Glad to hear your surgery was a success.  I am thinking about having surgery. Did you go to a surgeon in Ireland that you would recommend?

Thanks

Aeveen

• Posted

hi Bee

did you get the name of the consultant that Gillian recommended. Am trying to get a recommendation for my bunion operation.

thanks so much 

A

• Posted

Hi Gillian

Thanks for your article and  good advice. I am having bunion surgery soon

I walk 4 miles a day and go dancing every week

I expect I will not be able to get back to my routine for about 9 months 

Is that  correct

Thanks once again for your help and advice

Hope to hear from you

Josephine

• Posted

Hi Mary

I have only posted twice on this forum but visit it every day and have found it a fantastic help.

I had my bunion surgery and hammertoe correction two weeks ago here in Ireland and if you

like to private message me I will answer any questions I can about the surgery in Ireland.

Kate

• Posted

Hi

Katel. V interested in you bunion and hammertoe op. I need to get this done and just wondering who did your surgery and if you at ahoy with the outcome.  I am in Dublin. Thanks a million..

• Posted

Hi, did not go ahead with your surgery? Was it successful? Did you have it done here in ireland? Keyhole? After affects? Thanks, Olive
    • Posted

Hi Kate,

I just joined this website today. I saw your post and just wondered how you are a year after your surgery? Are you very happy to have gotten it done? My bunions are quite bad now. I feel I've been suffering in silence for a few years now. I find them ugly looking and am finding it increasingly hard to find suitable shoes to wear which is crap cause I'm very into my style and fashion!! How long were you out of action for post surgery? Thanks for any advise, linda

• Posted

Hi Linny. Are you in Ireland. Had my surgery done here 12 weeks ago. Bunion and 4 hammer toes and fusion of big toe. 
    • Posted

Hi,

I'm in Ireland and wondering where the best place to have this done is?  I have met with one consultant but not sure if there are better options.  Appreciate any info, not in Dublin but could of course travel if necessary.  Thanks

• Posted

Hi

Would you be able to let me know if you received any consultant recommendations that you could share. I am keen to get a recommendation if possible.

thanks A

• Posted

Had my surgery  with Alan Lange in the Beacon but also he operates out of Kilkenny hospital. Did a lot of research before finally choosing. I was not disappointed - would highly recommend. Best of luck.
    • Posted

Hi  Amy,

I chickened out biggrin  I had the op booked for first week in January with the hope of being back to full work which involves standing for a lot of the day by end Feb.  However I joined a FB group for Bunionectomy patients and came to the conclusion that with the extent of my bunion and hammertoe that it was going to be a lot longer than that before It was back to any sort of normal.   While the bone might have fused at 6 weeks post op there seems to be a lot more to getting back to normal.  I just can't take the chance at the moment as am self employed and last budget said (if they didn't lie) that sick pay for the s.e. was being introduced sometime this year so will wait hopefully for that.   I did however get a tentonomy done on the hammer toe in Jan to ease the problem with that one, it only requires 2 weeks of down time and you can walk straight away.  However it has been a total waste of time and money, it didn't fix it at all, the knuckle bit is still bent and rubbing off shoes, straightened the joint nearer the nail a bit but that hadn't been the issue at all!   Have my follow up apt in March so will ask for answers on that one, doesn't inspire me with confidence for the full surgery so won't bother giving you name of my surgeon.

• Posted

Hi Monbretia, which country are you in. I have a bunion which is getting worse every year and I havnt as yet had the courage to go ahead with the op like you.There are so many bad reports about bunion surgery and it is because of the archaic way it is still carried out.   I am living in Australia and wouldn't be so hesitant if they did the minimally invasive surgery which has far better outcomes and a lot quicker recovery time.  Also I have also read about the  Bosch Technique which is supposed to be the best op but at the moment can only be done in England and Germany by Dr. Dirk Novak which I hope to have done one day but it is expensive and would have to go to England for it and arrange accomodation.It would be great to have more feedback on this site from people who have had the op done this way.

• Posted

I'm in Irelland so not much use to you I'm afraid.  I have never come across the minimally invasive technique here but of course it all depends on the extent of the bunion.  Mine is bad and even I know to look at it it needs some serious surgery, keyhole stuff or a bit of bunion shaving wouldn't go anywhere with it.

• Posted

The minimally invasive  surgery is done by keyhole and bunion surgery is performed from the inside instead of slicing the toe open on the side, the bunion is corrected just the same and because of this method of operating, the recovery time is a lot quicker and the success rate is excellent. If you go to the website you'll see they correct large bunions this way. The European Foot Institue in Sussex.My bunion is a large one and I have a lot of trouble getting shoes to fit now, but I don't have any pain with it and it doesn't stop me from walking that's the only reason I keep putting it off.I am hoping one day to get mine done the minimally invasive way because of the success rate. Good luck with yours.

• Posted

I joined an FB group for Bunionectomy and from my reading of most of cases it's not the size of the scar that causes any issue, it's the healing of the bones.   An odd time yes the incision gets infected/sore etc but it doesn't seem to be the biggest problem.  I'll have a look at that site anyway as obviously I'm a lot closer to Sussex than you are confused

• Posted

Did you have keyhole surgery for your bunions

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.