bunion surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, i just want to share some good news about bunion surgery, i had a bunionectomy and osteotomy a week ago today and have been given a wedge shoe and crutchs, iv had a really good experience, no pain and not required any pain relife, i have found i can walk without the shoe and crutches and have been doing light house work and have not had my foot up much, i have a staple in the toe and have my dressings of in a week, has anyone else had such good experiences?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You are SO lucky.  Did you have it done in California USA?

• Posted

Hi, I dident I live in Nottingham in the uk, I guess everyone is different when they are healing but you hear so many horror stories, how did you heal with youres?
    • Posted

This is good to know thank you, I really hope mine is a success, had a date for it and it's 15th sept, so sooner than I expected yikes.

• Posted

Good luck, even though iv found the healing process fine it's still a big of a struggle getting used to the shoe, they give you the biggest bandage on you're foot so getting a shower is difficult but I brought one of the limbo waterproof foot protectors of line and they are great, sleeping the first few nights is also difficult until you get used to it, I was dreading mine and am a week post op today and it's the best thing iv done! It does swell up though so plenty of rest good luck
    • Posted

How long do you think is need off work? And can you see yourself being able to drive soon (if you drive).

Really glad you said it's been A good decision, I have to get up 6 flights of Stairs to work......no lift!!!! Not sure how I'll do that? I'm dreading the logistics After as I have a 3 year old and don't get any help I have to take him and pick him up from nursery along with going to work myself, My partner will have to do the first week but is refusing after that!!! Lovely! X

• Posted

Ah bless you, I'm not in work at the moment but if I was I would have thought two weeks of but depends what you do, it's really hard to drive with the wedge shoe on as they are quite bulky, I go for my dressing change in a week so I'm not sure what they put on after the dressings of, il keep you posted. It does get a bit sore if you've been on it for a while so even though iv had a good recovery up to yet I still think iv over done it on some days so do try and get plenty of rest what are you having done
    • Posted

It is my 5th week.  I don't have the horrible pain anymore but I cannot walk without the boot because it hurts on top of the hammer nail was fixed and the other toe on the side of the surgery.  

I am walking 5 to 10 min and stop because starts hurting.  I put ice a couple times a day.  Dr didn't put spacers in my toes.  Did you have some on you?

Thank you Adele

• Posted

Hi, I haven't got any spacers I have a wooden shoe and a big bandage iv had my bunion removed and my big toe straighten and a staple put it, I'm worried about having the bad age removed as what is put in place of the bandage to support the toe?

Thanks

• Posted

Hello Adele,

It,s wonderful to hear such a positive story. It just goes to show how everybody is different.  I must say I am very jealous.

Here,s to pain free happy feet😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

• Posted

Hi carole, I was really nervous as I thought everyone's recovery was the same but I think I was just lucky, although not completely pain free it does ache after a while and I'm dreading having the bandages removed because it does hurt if I put any pressure on the toe itself, does anyone know what the put on you're foot after they take the bandages of at 2 weeks to support you're foot?
    • Posted

I still put CoFlex Non latex bandage.  I feel some suppert.  They are made in UK
    • Posted

I am 6 weeks after surgery.  I was told to use tens shoes but it is just impossible to do it.  My foot is not ready to go in.  

When you said that you rest as much as possible.  Do you stay in bad with elevated foot?  I use the chair and I put my legs on top of the other chair because the bad is uncomfortable for me but it this help I will do it.  I live by myself and it is difficult to find someone to take me to the market for basic things like water etc.

• Posted

It has been 7 weeks since my bunionectomy and metatarsal osteotomy with 2 screws inserted.  I've gone from using a walker with Velcro flat shoe to a big boot to sandals to my regular saucony walking shoes. My feet feel great!

i still elevate and ice at the end of the day to alleviate swelling.  It has been a great experience!  I'm not into my regular flats yet, but am very patient with the healing.  Good luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.