bunion Surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had Bunion and a hammertoe surgery 4 months ago. It looks good, but the foot still swells and I have difficulty with shoes. I have been wearing sandles and also a step in shoe. But, I am not happy. I get pain in my foot because when it swells the shoes feels tight and then I have pain near the big toe surgery

Any suggestions on a comfortable shoe that I can buy. What kind of shoes do you where if you had Bunion Surgery?

CG

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had bilateral scarf and akin bunion surgery 14 weeks ago. My surgeon recommended original Crocs with off the shelf orthotics in them. Crocs are wide around the toes and don't put pressure on your sore feet, the orthotics help support the arches and aid proper foot shape. They are all I've worn outside since coming out of the surgical shoes as I had lots of swelling and still have some in my toes. You could speak to your surgeon for his recommendation or maybe a physiotherapist, I am having physio to help strengthen my feet, ankles, knees, hips and back. I feel like I'm learning to walk again now after being wonky for so many years. My surgeon said full recovery can take up to a year and I can see now he's right. Good luck finding comfy shoes.

• Posted

Hello Debbie, Thank you so much for replying and giving me helpful information. Did you buy the Crocs in your normal size? Since my surgery I have difficulty in walking. I kindof limp and I can only walk very slow. Ia;so have swelling in the foot and toes and also numness on the foot and on the bottom of the foot and toes. I can not flex my toes unless I use my hand to flex it. I am a little disappointed as I thought I wold be doing much better after 4 months. I don't think I will do my other foot as this surgery too a lot out of me. I am happy I had the one foot done but I hope a see a bright light in the coming months.

• Posted

Debbie, I looked online for the Crocs and there are so many different kinds. Which one do you recommend? Did you by the Orthodics in the drug store? Dr. Sholls?

Thanks for replying

Charlotte 613

• Posted

Hi Charlotte, I bought the original Crocs with the wide toe in a size larger and the Dr. Scholl 3/4 orthotics from, yes, a drugstore though we call them chemists here in Australia. Crocs do lots of different styles, some of them more feminine but the original ones are, in my opinion, quite ugly but who cares because they are the only shoes I can wear with comfort, generally they are unisex and will have a mens and womens size on them. I have had all the symptoms you describe and with increased activity the numbness and swelling have receded. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thank you so much. I bought the Crocs today. I feel much better and walk much better. Tomorrow I will buy the orthodics from the (Chemist) tomorrow.

Thanks again

• Posted

I had a bunion removal, plate and screws inserted in my big toe and a

hammer toe straightend at the end of May.

I only wear training/sneaker shoes when I venture outside for any length

of time as my foot is still to swollen to fit into slip on shoes... and

seemed to just swell all the more if I did try to wear them.

I have repositioned the lace .. right shoe only....so that it only goes

through the top 2 holes of the shoe that way when I lace up it doesn't putany pressure on my scar and oddly enough as my foot doesn't feel

restricted and the swelling isnt to bad. The shoe itself gives plenty of

suppor to my foot. Once back indoors I also change into Crocs as they

are comfy on my foot and I can kick them off easily when I sit and

elovate my feet....not that I do that much now....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.