bunion surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a Scarf Akin osteotomy, lateral release and hammer toe straightening.  My stiches were off few days ago, I was so scared to actually see my foot after 14 days and have the sutures removed, but  I wasn't so happy with the way it looked, as the bump of the bunion is still there, so the foot isn't straight.  At that time I didn't notice it, but I took a picture of my foot, when I looked at it again, I saw I have 3 incisions between my big and 2 toe. It is so unusual, does anybody have the same and if so why is it? ty

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hope it will be sorted!

will see how mine will look like and let you know.

• Posted

hi, how is yours and what did you have done? Can you walk a little?
    • Posted

Hi

i had the toe straightened with screws the hammer toe sorted too and something else on my calf 

I can walk on my heel and with the help of crouches but I need to be confined to bed for most of the time.

My surgeon said 50/55 minutes with the foot up then move it gently for 5/10 min.

With the holidays around my check up visit and removal of bandages is in January

I do not have old style stitches 

i think I will have the screws removed at a certain point 

• Posted

When I had my scarf Akin Osteotomy, the surgeon cut my foot along the big toe towards the arch and a small cut on top of my foot between the second and third toe releasing pressure on my foot. The bunion was removed. At the time I wore a Darco boot for six weeks 24/7 until my foot was healed allowing me to put pressure on it without the boot.

It seems your surgeon slightly shaved your bunion instead of removing it and that's why the bump is still there. Not sure why you would have three incisions instead of two  unless the incision is across your toe where the K-Wire was inserted keeping your hammer toe straight. When are you getting it removed?

• Posted

Hi goanna,

ty for this.  My surgery was Dec 13, the wire will be removed Jan 8.  I have a wire from my 2 toe sticking out, so wanted to ask what should I do with it, what footware did you wear.  I have my Darco boot but I wear it only when I walk.  The incisions I have, as you, on the side, on the small toe, and between the toes 3, I talked with the doctor, he isn't my surgeon, and he said it was for the lateral release, I get that, but why 3?  Anyway, when did you go to work after the surgery and were you able to do any work at home?  I live by myself, so all this is challenging.  Ty again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.