Bunion surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Am into 8 weeks recovery my foot still swells and can only get my foot into a pair of running shoes i must be walking funny or wrong on my foot as the bone on the outside of foot is very sore and my ankle aches seems stiff. Has anyone else had this problem just getting so tired of my food hurting

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi I am 14 weeks out from 2nd surgery. Can't get my foot I. Shoe yet. Am slowly walking like 10'steps then stop and try later. I was in cast for 12 weeks after the second surger and was in cast 3 weeks prior to the second surgery. Still have a lot of swelling and some weird feelings on my foot like I still have a cast on. They did give me a boot to wear which I do when I go to work. When I try to walk I do it barefoot because the shoe is to awkward. Having a lot of pain in ankle though.

• Posted

I'm 10 weeks post op and just started physical therapy. I just got my first pair of shoes since the surgery. They were tennis shoes like yours. I couldn't fit anything else due to the swelling. I have noticed a decrease in swelling since getting my new shoes and therapy. I got really good shoes with a great insert so my foot gets great support and my weight is being put on it evenly.  Before the shoe, I just walked whatever way caused less pain. My ankle hurts too as well as the top of my foot. I keep it up and ice it as much as possible. I never expected it to be this difficult of a recovery. I thought when the cast came off, I wouldn't have any pain. Very wrong. But from what I hear, what we're feeling is normal. It will just take time and be gentle with it. Good luck. Hopefully you are going to therapy. 

• Posted

Hi Susan. I got my left bunion done by minimally invasive surgery in mid June last year. It took probably at least 3 months for my foot to stop swelling. I'd elevate at night and by the morning my foot was normal but by the end of the day it had swollen up like a pudding. It just takes time. Yes, my ankle would get stiff too.

I have been surprised how long it takes to heel. It's been 7 months and my foot doesn't feel like my own. I'm feeling like it won't ever feel "normal". My big toe has been pinned into place and it doesn't move!! I love my new foot though as my bunion was massive!!! Getting other one done beginning of April this year. Dreading all the foot up for 2 weeks and the surgical shoe for 6 weeks swelling etc but worth it to have matching normal looking feet.

Happy healing and yeah the swelling can last months!!

• Posted

Keep elevating as much as possible, and while you are resting do small movement and massage foot. It helped me. Also try making the laces in your trainer very loose at the bottom, so there is plenty of room (even try a size bigger) I also had pain from the outside of foot when learning to walk evenly again, this tip helped so much, put a foam insert into trainer but cut out the area of your bunion, it tilts your foot into the correct position, my physio explained this and it was really helpful, hope it does for you, good luck 😊

• Posted

I know how that feels. I think it's because we have been walking, effectively, on the outside of our feet. My feet, on the outside, are still a bit sore (13weeks after operation). It almost feels like the bones under the little toes are bruised because they aren't normally under the pressure of full body weight. I'm sure this will ease in time. I'm hoping it's normal, too. The swelling, I know, is normal and it will get easier as time goes on. My feet are slightly swollen, even now, but nowhere near as swollen as they were in the earlier days. I'm wearing more normal shoes now -I've progressed from the podalux shoes to dap type / lace up plimsolls, to now wearing boots (although slightly wider than I would normally wear) and trainers. Hang in there because it will get better. Take care.

• Posted

Seems like it is all normal i guess when they say 6 weeks recovery that is the first stage

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.