Bunion surgery problems

Posted , 3 users are following.

HEllo I am now 5 and a halfmonths since my double bunion surgery. I am having trouble walking especially with the right foot. I am not able to get ball of foot on ground after going to a podiatrist today he told me my foot is out of alignment as I am watching on outside of foot big toe is not doung what it supposed to and now the other toes are having trouble. I have to wait until I see my surgeon before we do anything. Has anyone else had this issue and if so what did you do to fix it. Thanks for your help.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi pauline x i had double bunion and second toe corrected in may so i am nearly four months post op.... i am no where walking as i should do, my toes on both feet do not lay flat on the ground but i have been told this is due to the swelling that can also make your feet look out of alignment, i can not get any form of shoe on, i have spent a fortune of shoes thinking yer this is the one, but no not only can i not get them on but they hurt.. i have been going out in soft fluffy house slippers with the toes cut out.. not a good look but its the only way i can get out after resting at home for months which has drove me mad.. i am due to see surgeon again in october but he did tell me on last visit a couple of weeks ago the swelling to both feet can take up to a year to go... its a long road to recovery pauline, keep strong and i am sure you will get sorted, i so know what you are going through hun its not nice and makes ya feel so down at times with it all, we are always here on this site to help our post op friends, message me anytime as we have both had double bunions we might be able to give reassurance to each other, heres to happy feet again.... i have to say that otherwise if i am not crying i am eating lol x
  • Posted

Dear Pauline,

HI,my name is Ellen and I had my surgery on the 31 of July,I have had 3 doctors visits since.I too am having trouble walking on the ball of my foot,the doctor said I should go in the pool and push off with my bad foot,and go up & down on it.I really did try but it still hurts ,so I will try again on Tuesday,My moter-in law has a pool I can use,I really don't want this to go on & on,I have to get back to work,though,I only had one foot done.I hope you don't have to have another surgery,I am also still wearing my compression bandage as my second toe (also has a screw in it) is not doing too good.It feels like it is a piece of dead meat in between my toes.She said it would get better with time,which i don't have so tuesday will tell if i get 2 more weeks or not.I hope I do as i have a very outgoig job & I NEED TO WALK !!!!!! Best of luck,keep in touch,Ellen

• Posted

Did you see a physio? The swelling on the ball of your foot will continue for upto a year. Also you may develope chronic inflamation. My doctor told me to take a course of anti inflammitories for 2 weeks to combat this. It can't do any harm can it? I have heard of over correction but understand it's very rare. You really need to speak to the surgeon that did your op.

• Posted

Pauline 

i had a double lapidus, Atkins and hammer toe release. My right foot played up no end, and was only walking normally after 7 months or so.

i still have major swellings, and pain on initial standing when I arise in the morning. 9 months in, and possibly another 9 months to go.

its a long slow process, and enough to try the patience of a saint.

keep in contact, as anything anyone posts always helps another down the line

carroline

op done 27/11/14

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.