Burch colposuspension

Posted , 21 users are following.

I've just had another urodynamics with xray test and have been told that a colpo suspension is the best way forward for me as my bladder muscle is too weak to allow me to wee properly after having TVT.  I'm quite pleased not to be having TVT as I've read some horror stories about them, but it would be good to be able to go for long walks and do my zumba classes etc without being soaked!  Does anyone out there have experience of this operation?  I know it's not used often these days as it's quite an expensive procedure and most women just have the TVT.  It would  be good to know of any successes.

0 likes, 71 replies

71 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Mary

I have had this operation and it has worked for me :-)  I had mine after my TVT cut through my bladder and had to be removed.  Believe it or not, they offered me another TVT or TOT but I said Thank you very much, but no thanks and did my own research.  As with any operation, there is a lot to consider.  My consultant told me it was not a minor operation, and he was right.  Having had both operations, I can tell you that the Colposuspension was more painful and the recovery time is longer.  I was in hospital for 4 days after the op, the incision is similar to that of a ceasearian section. One thing I would urge you to speak to your consultant about is the risk of infection - I was told it was 1 in every 500.  Unfortunately I was one of the unlucky ones, it does happen!  I am though,  very happy in the fact that I now feel that I'm able to be more active and no longer need to wear any protection.  My consultant also told me that he planned to do more of the operations in place of the TVT/TOT.  Good Luck 

• Posted

Many thanks for your response Debbie.  It's good to know that you've had a successful outcome.  Yes I do realise that it's a not a minor op. My urologist said it could be done by keyhole surgery but the wait would be much longer, she also said it was more successful when done the original way and as I'm not too worried about having a scar on my stomach and don't want to have to wait too long I said I'd go ahead.  How long ago did you have yours done?  I understand they often fail after about 10 years.
    • Posted

I had my op 16 months ago, I had mine with open surgery, I wasn't offered keyhole.  My Consultant said to continue with pelvic floor excercises (though I don't know why - if they had worked in the first place, I wouldnt have had to have the op lol) he said that the SUI could reoccure so I needed to be aware of that, it is a lot to go through so I hope it doesnt :-)
    • Posted

Hi again Debbie,  the infection you spoke of after the operation, was it in your bladder or the wound itself?
    • Posted

Hi Mary, it was in the wound itself not the bladder.
    • Posted

Hey! I am new to this discussion but your surgeries seem similar to mine. I had a TOT done, then a revision loosening due to erosion/urgency. Well it is still awful, I luckily found an amazin surgeon who practices internationally and has an office in my hometown of Atlanta who said he will remove the mesh for me, he wants to do the Burch procedure as well at the same time. He can do it laparoscopically, my question is with the Burch how is your recovery? Do you feel any retention or similar symptoms or is it so much better?
    • Posted

Hi, it's now been 18 months since my Birch surgery and I have had no problems with either retention or urgency, and I'm now far more active than I was prior to the surgery,   As far as the recovery goes, I'm probably the wrong person to give advice on that - I had open surgery and was told my recovery would be 6 - 8 weeks, but it didn't turn out that way as I contracted an infection in the surgical site.  Despite this, I would recommend the Birch over the mesh any day.  Only last week, my new Consultant stated that he had no idea as to why anyone would think placing that type of mesh in that area, for that reason, would be a good idea!

Good luck with your surgery, take your time with your recovery and I know you will feel much better once the mesh has been removed.

• Posted

Hi again Debbie,

​My colposuspension op has finally come through for 8th August.  Could I ask a couple more questions please?  Did you have any trouble emptying your bladder after the op and has it had any effect on your sex life?

Thanks,  Mary

• Posted

Hi Mary, I will send you a private message later when I get home from work 😊
    • Posted

Hi Debbie, I have just joined this group. I see you have had the tape & a burchsuspension following problems with the tape method. I am the opposite way. I had my burchsuspension 10 yrs ago, 18mths after a total hysterectomy (which went wrong & started a lot of worse probs for me) the burch worked for a while but now the stress incontinence is much worse than before my 1st bladder surgery. I have been to see my consultant today. I have concerns over having a tape done as it's more complicated & risky being a 2nd repair.(Not sure if no cervix makes a difference?) take it the tape didn't work for you & caused worse probs?? Did you try Botox treatment to the bladder at all? I been offered this for my urge incontinence. That only started after the burchsuspension? It doesn't help stress incontinence mind. I really don't know about risking the Botox or any taping method in the future. Don't know if anyone here is similar to myself. 10yrs post burchsuspension & needing another repair??

• Posted

Hi Nicola, yes the tape caused problems for me - it cut through my bladder and sat there for 2 years, very painful! The surgeon who removed it said it was like a piece of cheesewire cutting through!  When I had my burch, a couple of years later, the surgeon told me it wouldn't last for ever but it would last a good 10 years, so I think yours would have been seen as a success - could you/would you have this op again? I would rather do that than have a TVT.  I wasn't offered the botox so I can't help you with that - apparently it is only used for urge incontinence and is only a tempory solution, you have to keep having it re done.  Personally, I would NEVER have another TVT or similar type of tape, I was offered another before the burch op, but I wouldn't go down that route again!  I'm happy with the results of the Burch but if that failed now I wouldn't have any further surgery - I had an infection after my burch which was horrendous and caused many more problems, requiring further major surgery last year.  From now on, I'm leaving well alone lol. Good luck, whatever your decision, I hope you have a successful outcome.

• Posted

Hi Debbie, thanks for your reply. I must admit I am very concerned about having any tape method as a 2nd repair. My consultant has been honest & said it has caused problems for some women. My burchsuspension did work for me for about 3-4yrs. (Carrying my granddaughter around to much seemed to start the stress incontinence off again) I think you have to be careful with weight & strain on abdo/pelvic floor for ever. Pleased to hear your burch has been successful & hope you have many years out of it. It's hard going when the probs come back as it's much worse than the 1st time I finding. Plus I think about the relief you feel when you know there's an option to help it. I thought they had stopped doing the burchsuspension as it was causing problems. (When I was in having mine done. Lady in the next bed was having her yearly valve re sited in abdo. Her burch had caused bad problems for her) didn't know you could have that same op twice? Will look into that as an option I think. Thanks for the tip off.  

• Posted

I too would like to know, did it have any effect on your emptying your bladder or if it effected sex life? How far post surgery are you and is still successful
    • Posted

Hi Court10,

​I had my surgery in August, nearly 8 months ago, and I am still leak free with no problems.  I have never had any difficulty emptying my bladder, although it does take longer.  My sex life has not changed at all, there is no discomfort and sensation is just as good as before.    I hope this is helpful.

• Posted

Join sling the mesh on Facebook see about the TVT mesh on there if you haven't made up your mind if you have it in still look and you will be prepared if it does go wrong 

• Posted

Hi, my sister in law had a TVT several years ago for stretch incontinence, but has had problems with it, and also developed urge incontinence for which she now has the Botox injections about once a year, it is working well for her at the min x 
    • Posted

stress not stretch! 
    • Posted

Hi could any 1 help I'm meant to be having the Burch done in less than a week time a bit nervous to be honest as so many things can go rhong with it the main problem is my age would any one recommend having it at the age of 30 or should I just carry on for a few more years thanks

• Posted

Hi Catrin,

I had mine done nearly two years ago and have never regretted it.  If you look back on this site you'll see quite a bit of info about it already.

As regards your age I'd say the sooner the better; why would you want to carry on living with incontinence while you're still young and can live a full life.  I'm not sure what effect future pregnancies might have on the success of the op, if that's what your referring to, but I can't see why it should - unlike the TVT which is wrecked by a pregnancy (if it even works in the first place).  Talk to your consultant and hopefully he/she will be able to put your mind at rest.  Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Catrin, I had colposuspension in Nov 17 & whilst it is major surgery & boy did I know about it for the first week, its the best thing I could have done. I’m 39 & have struggled with incontinence since my 20’s, but I have so much more freedom now & I’m much more active. Be prepared, you may be in a lot of pain for the first couple of days & coughing & sneezing is pretty scary & painful but you need to try & relax. Look after yourself & rest as much as you can for the first couple of weeks & no exercise for at least 8 weeks. But after that the world is your oyster! Good luck! 

• Posted

Hi Catrin,

I agree with Mary, why wait and suffer more years of incontinence? You are young and will benefit greatly from the freedom you will gain. Yes it's a big op - similar to having a c -section in terms of the size of the incision and recovery. Expect some pain and take it easy for about 6-8 weeks. I have read that a few ladies were told that the op will hold for about 10 years but I wasn't told that. I had mine 3 years ago and haven't had any leaks since, I'm far more active than I used to be, I don't even think about it anymore. It goes without saying that of course there can be complications, as with any operation so please ask your surgeon about these if you haven't done so already. Good luck, let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Thank you so much to u all for the information. Im hoping I can be able to do the things I have always wanted to do with my 2 children hopefully be able to take them to a bounce centre do the activities they want to do. Bouncing on a trampoline is my first mission with them and not have to worry anymore will let u know how my op goes on monday hoping I'm doing the right choice thanks agen xx

• Posted

I'm sure you have made the right decision but please don't bounce to soon! Take things slowly and gently ?

• Posted

Hi catrin,

Where are you based,im researching consultants for having burch. Try to relax,it will all work out. I think your right to have it done young so you can carry on with your life!!!

• Posted

Hi Sinead I had mine at Addenbrooke’s Cambridge under the care of Dr Slack - no pun intended.
    • Posted

I had the burch done 18 months ago and to say its changed my life is an understatement! 1st few days is the worst but not as bad as i was imagining...its the tiredness that you have to give in to....sleep when you need to and let your body guide you....i was ready to go back to work within 4 weeks but my GP made me take the full 6 weeks x good luck and let us knw how you get on x
    • Posted

Hi Sinead I'm in angelsey well the thing I was fearing the most happened they damaged my bladder in 2 places so I was in the theater for 4hr.40 min instead of an HR and half the pain is unbelievable just hope it's going to be worth it in the end

• Posted

Oh my word.....poor you x I was thinking of you monday x are you still in hospital ?im assuming this will delay your recovery xbig hugs for a speedy recovery x keep us informed x
    • Posted

Hi yea still in can't hardly move been advance to take 12-14 weeks off work will have the catheter in for 4-5 weeks been for a scan today to check my kidneys there fine tried to check bladder but I didn't drink enough well it didn't help I have a catheter in and they didn't stop it till 1HR before I had my scan,now I have started bleeding as iv moved today and strained quit alot as my body just can't move didn't think it would of been such a bad experience just hoping that it works as they only managed to lift 1 side up will keep u all posted with the result and thanku for all ur support X

• Posted

Oh bless you, it sounds horrendous. You need to rest as much as you can, even when you’re home. Sending you gets well wishes & hope you’re on the road to recovery soon xx

• Posted

Hi Catrin,  So sorry to hear about your awful experience.  I too was kept in for a couple of extra days because there was a nick in my bladder and urine was leaking into the drain tube.  I had some badder cramping which was very painful at the time but it healed up quickly and all was well afterwards. 

I hope all goes well for you and that you have a good outcome when all this is behind you. I can imagine how depressed you must be feeling at the moment and I hope you can eventually feel it has all been worth while. Will be thinking of you, please let us know how you get on.  xx

• Posted

Hi can you tell me how soon after the operation did you know if it had worked please ?

• Posted

I had burch surgery 3 days ago and wondered the same but also wondered if excessive selling is normal I feel about 6 months pregnant, I am only on day 3 and assumed I would be swollen but is this normal? they cut an artery during surgery so extra worried about that

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.