Buring feet/over sensitive to heat and feel like giving up

Posted , 20 users are following.

Gradually building for the past 10 yrs is the feeling of hot feet when they are exposed to any heat even just wearing shoes an socks. When its really bad I get thst neefle feeling. If i dont wear shoes or socks im at my best. Can't wear shoes or sock for more than a few minutes. Best i can describe is it feels like someone is holding a hairdryer to my feet. Been seeing a neurologist for the past 5 yrs. Even traveled to NYU to see one.

All the blood work comes back neg. Been on lyrica, neurontin, elavil, cymbalta, topamax, trokendi, horizant, depakote, creams, melixitene and now lamictal. None have helped. This year has gotten worse to the point I cant have my feet under the covers at night. I look at people every day and am so jealous they can wear shoes. Im stuck with crocs and flip flops. Im 44 and need to work another 20 yrs. I'm a nurse to boot. A fan on my feet or slamming them in a wash basin of ice is all that helps. They seem to think its small fiber neuropathy. My kids get me thru each day but it's taking a toll on my mind. Advise?

5 likes, 88 replies

88 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Wow, I am so sorry you are suffering like this!  I was diagnosed with SFN a few months ago.  Noticed a year ago that both my big toes were numb, still are. Then the burning started in the sole of my left foot, now in my right foot, just the so,es.  Some days and nights are worse then others.  I have actually been on Neutontin for probably over 2 years for GI problems so, so much for that helping neuropathy! Was referred to a pain clinic that just wanted to prescribe Lyrica but I am afraid to take it.  The Neurologist I saw at Stanford did a bunch of blood work, repeated a couple in 6 months.  One is more elevated and am being referred to Hematology. They are checking for Myeloma. Scaring the heck out of me!  About the only shoes I can wear are Clark's flip flops.  Cold now so I wear some soft Sketchers.  Any other shoes on fior very long and my feet kill me.  Have you had an MRI on your spine?  I don't know what to tell you but pray you can find relief!!

• Posted

Lyrica gave me lymphadenopathy and I had to stop it but it wasn't doing anything anyways. My neurologist try something then I come back in 2 months try something new I'm back in 2 months. The only blood work I had out of whack was an elevated ANA as well as one of three markers positive for celiac disease. Was sent on to a rheumatologist for the elevated Ana and that was found to just be of no issue and the Celiac panel testing apparently is very widely criticized so nobody put any stock in that. What I can tell you is I was given a tip to help with the night time burning. When you get out of the shower slather your feet with some Vaseline. Kind of works.

• Posted

Get your vitamin B6 level checked. Solved my 8 year problem.
  • Posted

Sorry to read all this you have my empathy. I suffer from peripheral neuropathy and my doctors have blamed it on certain medications. I am also gluten, wheat, soy, yeast , amaranth, cows milj and aspartame intolerant.

​I avoid the above foodstuffs and also any medications that  contain  gluten, wheat, corn, amarath aspartame. I recently purchsed a circulation booster which so far is helping.

​Have you googled plantar faciitis and tendinopathy?

​Have you tried magnesium as this relazxes muscle and also chelates the body of toxic substances which may have triggered off the neuropathy.

• Posted

All my lab work has been fine thus far including magnesium. I might ask next month if there's any harm in taking some supplemental magnesium. What is a circulation booster? The neurologist at NYU did say I have a high arch foot. A while ago I went to a podiatrist and was fitted for some Orthotics but they hurt like hell. I've had some really flat running shoes that I wore before that have no arch support and they make my feet hurt bad in terms of the plantar fasciitis type area but the positive about them if they're extremely loose and Airy not creating much heat on my feet. Thank you for any and all input is I'm completely open to what works for other people

• Posted

Hi the magnesium is safe I believe so I would imagine that you could start supplementing with it to see if it makes any difference. Have to take mag stearate as the other types cause diarrhoea.

​I know what you mean about the arch supports but can you tolerate them for short periods of time?

​Have you tried filling a plasic bottle with water freezing  it then using it under the arch and exercising, important to wrap a cloth around it to prevent ise burns to the skin, . Sorry to be so vague but there are videos on line showing this procedure lus exercises for plantar facittisis in better detail. xx

• Posted

Hi again, I just had a thought pop into my head, Real leather moccasins, no sherpa, man made no toxins like glues etc. I wonder.  Might work, l over them, but real mocassis not slipper type. ☘️
    • Posted

Get your vitamin B6 checked. Seriously. Solved mine completely.
    • Posted

Seriously, get your vitamin B6 checked! Solved everything for me!
    • Posted

Get your vitamin B6 checkef. Solved my problems. Read up on it!
  • Posted

Boy do I ever identify with your post cabonick! I have been in excruciating pain for about 10 years and yes, it's getting more intense as the years go by. Fortunately, I don't work on my feet like you do. I know I wouldn't be able to take it you are one brave woman cabonick. By the way thank you for your service to your community nurses don't get enough credit in the medical field. My PC diagnosed it as "polyneuropathy" as I do not have diabetes. My husband is such a love he has placed cold wash cloths on my feet when I can't handle the pain. I take gabapentin, and was taking percocets (which did nothing for this kind of pain). I took myself off of the percocets it was helpful with a migraine or arthritic pain but, nothing seems to touch this pain. I wish I had some helpful advice. 

• Posted

Gosh Debra, I am guessing only the pain meds that will work are the ones that work on the brain are going to help you. I have nerve damage and did the whole routine and in the end morophone and morphine sulfate work. I am grateful they do, living w this kind of pain just plain ruins your life. I am impressed w your bravery your children have a strong role model to follow. I am so sad and sorry you have deal w this. Hugs and best wishes are heading your way. 💐

• Posted

I take gabapentin, oxycotin, fentanyl patch and cymbalta. I am still in severe pain. I have diabetic neuropathy. I think I am going to see a neurologist,It has been two years since I have been to one. Pain management is not listening and my neuropathy has gotten worse over the past four months. My stress level has  too. 

I think I am going to try a new direction because this direction is getting me no where.

• Posted

cymbalta. My Dr disconitnued this drug because side effects inclyde neuropathic pain,spasms, cranps,fast heart rate etc.

• Posted

Get your Vitamin B6 checked. Soled my neuropothy of over 8 years.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.