Burning mouth syndrome

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone else been diagnosed with this syndrome and takes venlafaxin???? It's driving me insane

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I have burning mouth since nearly 2 years. In the beginning I was taking Paxil and then my psychiatrist switch me to venlafaxine but the burning did not improve... Did your doctor said the venlafaxine was the cause of the burning? My dentist said that can happen with all the psyhotropics drugs because they change the saliva quantity and quality... What does your doctor propose? In the venlafaxine forum, there are other discussions where people are complaining about burning mouth syndrome... Do you take antidepressants and/or benzodizepines drugs for a long time?
    • Posted

17 years of various medications but new to venlafaxin it stated about 8 weeks after taking it. Seeing psychiatrist tomorrow. Gp said not sure of cause
    • Posted

Can you please report what will say your pschiatrist about it?
  • Posted

Hi. Yes, i had it initially and it was'nt very nice but it did wear off. Its just one of very long list of Venlofaxine side effects that i have experienced. Hope you either get off it now as i wish i had done or you find something to counteract it which i never did. Even ice cream did'nt help

Ian.

• Posted

How long this burning mouth have stayed before it wear off? Did you stay on venlafaxine?
    • Posted

Only a few months and i remember it well. I was on 225mg until march this year when i decided to wean myself off. Now after a few ups and downs am nearly there. Now down t

o 10mgish.

Ian

• Posted

You are so lucky that this horrible burning disappeared! Can I ask what were your symptoms? I'm for a year and half on venlafaxine and it is always there... 
    • Posted

Congratulations, iam25191!  That is along way to come!  How long were you on Effexor?  What kinds of withdrawal symptoms have you had to deal with as you have decreased?  I don't remember the highest dose I was on but it was up there like you, and over the 12 years I made cuts without realizing there would be WD symptoms.  I had crazy things happen with lack of concentration, such as forgetting to put my truck in park while it was running, and having it drive into a tree!  I mean, who forgets to put their car in park?!!!  I now realize it was probably at a time when I had made a reduction but just didn't connect the dots.  Lots of trouble with memory and focus over the years; I guess some call it brain fog?
  • Posted

In fact, I take 225mg venlafaxine... This burning feeling is horrendous... My tongue and gums are very pale, and they are littles splits on my tongue... 
    • Posted

Its a long time ago now but it was like the aftermarth of a hot chilli, my mouth was very dry too. I hope you don't want to know all of my side effect symptoms
    • Posted

Thanks, no not all the sides effects, just the burning mouth one... My psychiatrist said he never heard about it...
    • Posted

He would. These people have no idea what they are prescribing or how difficult it is to get off.

Don't know your diagnosis but i was depressed due to life changing circumstances and certainly should'nt have been put on this. If you can find an alternative do so before its too late.

• Posted

ian25191, true words!  I went on ADs for situational depression 20 years ago and wish I had never started!  Trying to get off now.  I wish I'd been more aware years ago of cognitive behavioral therapies that help with dysfunctional thinking.  A pill may make you feel better for a short time to get your footing, but will not cure your life, and many have ended up feeling worse over the long haul on these drugs than before, not realizing that it is due to side effects and brain impairment from the drugs!  Don't go there if you can help it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.