Burning pain 3 months after Austin akin bunionectomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello i had an Astin akin bunionectomy 3 months ago . I was in the boot for 11 weeks dut to delay in union of the bone. I think this was such a painful surgery i felt like at 2,5 hrs i wanted to take oain meds already, Anyay i am still quite sore and i get awful burnig pain, has anyone else experienced this burnng ?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi there, i had two feet done at same time and hammer toe correction with pins, i am not sure what Astin Akin is, is it the same as what i have had, if it is i am not 11 weeks post op, my feet and toes are still very swollen, and i am still in pain, the buring pain is terrible and i do so know how you feel, i have been told its part of the healing process but this has been one of the most painful experiences i have ever had, it has been very difficult having the two done together, but god i would not had gone back for the second one no way, with regards to the burning i have been told to ice and keep elevated as much as you can, its has also been a roller coaster of emotions too, not many highs but  hell of alot of lows... tears everything, almost like a depression.... i just hope i see some light soon, my surgeon said four to five weeks ill be up and running, no way has this been the way and i do think the surgeons are not very informative of the progress of recovery after this surgery, its very slow and painful, i have read lots of peoples experiences on here and the bad outway the good, but we just have to keep positive and look forward to happy feet, but i do understand what you are feeling with the burning, its not nice but it does ease in time x
  • Posted

Hi, yep sorry to say this is a normal reaction to the surgery. I would say mine lasted for about 13 weeks. Hang in there it does get better.
    • Posted

hi there, ohoo i am so glad your said that in your reply to mishelno, i really think at times is this normal, but hearing other peoples experiences it all sounds very much the same... i am due to see my surgeon on the 4th August as i want to know will it be ok for me to fly to spain, 2.5 hours on plane... as i am abit worried because the swelling is there there, i really think i so under estimated this surgery... but thank god i wont ever be going back for the second foot !!!
    • Posted

Really talk to your surgeon, I personally wouldn't risk it, if your feet are still very swollen the heat will not do your feet any favours and travelling on a plane from my experience with only slightly swollen feet post op 14 weeks was extremely uncomfortable. Sorry to be a kill joy but I think it's better to be honest. X
    • Posted

hi there, no not a kill joy at all, i am due to fly out on the 11th August, but on here is real people who have done it, felt it, not like the surgeons, thats a help to me and i will be telling the surgeon too what my friends who have gone through this op have gone through, many thanks much appreciated x
  • Posted

So many people ask about the burning, and I always share what my surgeon told me, because I had the same burning and it was so unpleasant. The burning is normal, it's caused by the nerves in your foot healing and waking up from all of the trauma that your foot has gone through. Mine literally felt like someone was holding a match to part of my foot.

Since you're 3 months out from surgery, I'm honestly not sure if you should still be having such bad nerve pain. I'm 7 weeks out from surgery and my nerve pain went away a long time ago. Everyone's different, but you might want to ask your doctor if he can give you a medication that helps calm the nerves, just so you don't have to deal with that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.