Burning sensation in legs

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I'm a 50 year old lady recovering from a heart attack, spent fitted I have been pit on 80mg of atorvastatin for last two weeks and am experiencing burning sensation down one side of leg, very painful, doctor advises it's neuropathy,? Will it disappear or should I see if I can change statin?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

This may well be due to the statins Susie - keep monitoring it and if it doesnt subside or gets worse, do ask your doctor to reduce your statin dose.  Doctors wont accept that statins cause such problems nor that in some cases the damage can be permanent.  It's not for me to tell you not to take the statins following your heart attack but from my own experience, I do know that statins can cause some very nasty and long lasting side effects in some people.  Best advice - monitor it and dont be bullied by your doctor.

• Posted

Hi Susiewoo, There seems to be so much controversy regarding statins. At the end of the day they can be very successful in controlling Cholesterol. I have been on 80mg of Atorvastatin for more than 10 years along with Ezitimibe. This works for me although I had to decide many yeras ago if I could go through the pain barrier! This lasted for several months and was not pleasant. However my cholesterol is well sorted these days. I think there may well be mileage in swopping to another Statin if problems persist: we are individuals in chemical terms after all. Take the best advice you can. Good Luck.
  • Posted

It seems a very high dosage, I was only on 20mg and they almost finished me off.
    • Posted

I know it's the max dosage but I don't know if it's only for a short while and they will reduce it, I know the pain is immense at night time, not sure what to do as they tell me I need to be on them and the tablets they give me to counteract them wipe me out, not sure if it's sustaining until I have another sent fitted,, some times whilst the doctors are life savers it makes you wonder if I would be better off changing, my mum was on the simvorstatin but they made her dizzy, I just want to feel human again.

• Posted

Best advice Susie - be assertive with your doctor and demand they listen to your concerns, if they advise that you absolutely have to be on such a high dosage ask for how long, ask if another type of statin would cause less issues, insist they listen to your concerns regarding the side effects, etc.  Most doctors are very loathe to admit that statins cause damaging issues but its a fact, they do.  They will take the path of least resistance and prescribe probably the cheapest option.  Be strong and dont be afraid to interrogate your doctor to make sure they appreciate the issues you're having - there is always a second, or even third, option.

• Posted

Hi Ive just come back from the doctors as I am on 80mg Atorvastatin too and ive been suffering terrible pain in my arm and legs since going on them i went back to the doctor a few times and all i got was if you can bear it keep taking them. Today i saw a locum and explained that this was really starting to affect my quality of life now due to being in such pain he basically just cut the dose in half to 40 mg and said the pain should now go im over the moon that at least he has done something and i actually might get to be pain free, my bug bear if you like is why oh why has a, it taken 5 visits to the doctors and b, a locum just changes it like that and said you will be fine on this dose and the pain will go?? very very odd ill keep you posted if it does the trick x
    • Posted

Really underlines the issues we as patients have in getting doctors to listen to our concerns eh.  I really cant see why anyone would be on such a high dose for more than a very short initial period.  Even on 20mg I was in agony, I hate to think what would have happened had I been on 80mg.
    • Posted

Crikey don't say that lol Im really hoping that this will sort me out I suffered an occipital stroke at 49 and im terrified of having another so would take anything that they tell me very scary though xx

• Posted

Here's hoping the lower dosage will relieve the problems for you.  good luck. x

• Posted

Yes please do keep me posted, I almost dread taking them knowing what happens in a short time after. I wonder if it is for a short time. I am on thyroxine as well for an under active thyroid and it comes up as not suitable to mix with this statin.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.