Burning tingling feet

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi i wonder if anyone diagnosed with RLS has burning tingling in their toes and feet sometimes feeling like electric shocks  i have not got Diabetic Neuropathy but have been diagnosed with RLS which i cant understand because it is only in my feet  i would be greateful for anyones help  thank you 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sandra

I read many different symptoms of restless leg syndrome and often wonder how the burning sensation can be put under this category 

I have sufferex now for a year with burning which started off in the left leg then went to the right leg and is more noticeable when I go to bed but do get it sometimes during the day.

have been on many different medications the latest being pregabiln which do nothing  for me .

restless legs is not what I suffer from its the burning sensation.

i had an MRI scan which the neurologist said I had transverse myliestus which when I read about it said Ms. I panicked as one would and took myself off to the local Ms centre which fortunately for me is in the town in which I live. I have one hour sessions of pure oxygen but tbh that doesn't help either .

inhave recently had an electrode study and have the results but tbh do not know what they mean but does not say Ms. A lumbar puncture is next week to see what ails me.

will it show what the burning is I don't know . Reading about it I find it could go as quickly as it came , just waiting for that day.

hope you get answers 

christine 

• Posted

Hi Sandra,,,, I have had the same sensations for years, the doctors told that it was restless legs syndrome,but I did not want to take the medications that they were going to give me, so they told me to take Tylenol 3 for chronic pain, saying to me , that if it worked, it was better than to take other medications.So , since the pain was only during the night, I take now two Tylenol 3, each night before going to bed.and it works.

Hope that it will work for you too.......it s so much better than to take the other kind of medications, which have so much side effects.

• Posted

Hi Sandra 

so have you had mri scans etc and have they every indicated you could have ms. I have had it all even had a lumbar puncture but every test I have comes back inconclusive . I am still on pregablin which do nothing for me and tbh why I take them I dint know. Going forward well there is no going forward for me as no more tests as had them all,  the tablets you take are they a pain killer? Where do you get them from a chemist or on prescription ? 

Why they ever said Ms I do not know but my symptoms apart from the burning in my legs do not relate to Ms

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

If you have not done so, I would first rule out a vitamin or mineral deficiency (easist way to rule out your condition that is often overlooked). Your doctor may have already looked into this, not all do, so I thought I would mention it. Please be sure to rule out a Vitamin B-12 deficiency (sometimes also B6). B vitamins play a vital role in driving several important biochemical reactions in our bodies, which include reactions required for the function of your nervous system. Therefore, a deficiency in vitamin B-12 can cause several health problems, including permanent nerve damage. Nerve damage resulting from a vitamin B-12 deficiency can cause symptoms that include a burning sensation in the hands or feet. 

Other modalities that can cause burning and shock sensation in the extremities is low thyroid. Many doctors will look at a thyroid result and conclude that it is "within normal range." They look at the numbers instead of treat the symptoms. However, even though your thyroid may be "normal," you want it to be at an optimal range.   

If you do indeed have RLS along with your burning/shock sensations, take a high quality Magnesium supplement (not in the form of oxide, sulfate, gluconate or aspartate).  If you experience more issues at night before/during bedtime, take up to 500 mg before bed. I use Sleep Minerals II and it is extremely effective. Of course, consult with your doctor before taking any vitamin or mineral to make sure it is safe for you and will not interact with any other medication you may be on (highly unlikely).

Finally, the less likely cause of your symptoms could be low Riboflavin (30% of seniors are deficient in riboflavin) can cause electric-shock-type symptoms.

• Posted

HI indya, Thank you for your help i have been tested for vitamin B12  I have been diagnosed with Peripheral Neuropathy and will be having a Nerve conduction test on the 21st Jan at the moment i am takine GABAPENTIN and AMITRYPTYLINE but still have bad burning and tingling in my feet, again thanks for your help 

• Posted

Hi Indya,

Thank you for your very informative response. I suffer from burning feet but only when in bed, when it is very uncomfortable. My feet are usually very cold!! I will certainly take some of your advice along to my doctor and take it from there..

• Posted

Hi Sandra 

i too was tested for vutamjn b12 deficiency but negative. 

The tests you are about to have yes have had them,

i was reading that stress can cause these burning sensations and I are had a lot of this and my symptoms started ariund that time. I moved jobs but after several months of another stress job it's geting worse. I have now resigned and going to chill for a few months and just relax lol.

gabapentin does nothing for me but take 600mg a day. Amitriptyline made mouth dry and could never get my bum out of bed in the mornings.

Do you find gabapentin makes you feel wobbly when you walk. . Straight line walking is a thing if the past for me.

let me know what yiur tests show am interested 

chris 

• Posted

Hi Chris Thanks for your comments at the moment i take 400mg a day i was told i can eventually take 800 mg they haven't worked so far i too get a dry month with amitriptyline i was wondering do you have burning all over your feet or just in the toes? Thanks Chris

• Posted

Hi 

I get burning in my legs from knee down and sometimes up to my ummm private bits. It's mostly when I sit and relax but bad when I lie in bed. I very rarely have IT in feet or toes not yet anyway. I find it hard too explain it's like burning like pricklyheat but inside .

i have tried cooling gel ice packs nothing works. Yes I have RLS but only because I mive them to find a cold spot in the bed .

how long have you had it have yiu seen a neurologist yet 

• Posted

Hi Christine  i will see neurologist on the 21st of jan hopefully find out what exactly is wrong,  wishing you well Christine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.