Bursitis

Posted , 8 users are following.

Has anyone experienced bursitis in their hip after a TKR, physio thinks I might have it, my left hip is really painful.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Diane....a couple of others have posted about various back and hip pains after tkr. When your knee was bad you most likely walked with a limp and did anything you could to prevent pain. Now you are starting to get more upright and walking closer to correct. Than the hips and spine start acting up because you trained them one way now you are asking them to do something else. Slow down your pace .....walk correctly with sure steady proper steps, use your walker or cane as long as you need it so that you don't feel afraid to walk correctly. Alternate heat and ice 20 mins at a time for an hour. Take some over the counter anti inflammatories if your stomach allows such thing. Check with your pharmacist to make sue they aren't interfering with other meds and if it gets too bad see your Dr. You may need xrays or other tests

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply. I did have it X-rayed a few years ago and was told I had osteo-arthritis in it then, so might have deteriorated since then, think I might have to make an appointment with my GP.
  • Posted

Diane, I had replied to a question about this.

I can't remember how long after my surgery, but I too noticed a pain in my right hip. I had both knees replaced at the same time, but it only occured in the right hip. I can't even tell you how long it lasted, but it wasn't a short thing. Nearly a year after my surgery (I was working in India when I had the bilateral TKR) I had a surgeon in the USA check out my knees to see how they looked - wanted a second opinion on my surgery. And I mentioned the hip pain. An x-ray showed they both looked good and he didn't mention bursitis.

I remember years ago, when my knees were in great shape, sometimes feeling this same tightness/pain in my hip and I used to be able to sort of pop it by laying on my back, drawing my heel in towards my rear end and dropping my knee over to the side. But after the surgery, that wasn't possible. What I did find helped was sitting on my bed, with my heels drawn towards my body (no where near as close as they used to be) and allowing my knees to fall over to the sides. It hurt too much to be able to relax at all, so I propped pillows under them until it was more comfortable and then sat there. If you can put your back down, you get an even better stretch. The initial pain is gone. I still do this stretch and the discomfort has been greatly reduced.

-Mo

• Posted

Diane, I had a hip replacement eight years ago and started to suffer a bursitis in the opposite trochanteric bursa, the big muscle going from your buttock to over your hip bone at the front.  This is chronic now, and I have been suffering for seven years with it. I have had any number of ablations, injections into it, sound wave therapy and have been attending the pain clinic in our hospital. Nothing has helped and I'm at my wits end. The pain has woken me almost every night for 7 years.

Any advice for me kind people?   

• Posted

Hi Diane, I had a Rknee TKR 9.5mths ago... my surgeon was so impressed with my exercise regime that I never had rehab or physio.  Found out 3mths ago that I have a bursitis, had it injected via an ultra sound but it wasn't successful.  I have now just this past month started seeing a physio to see if she can help with it (along with all my other issues).  I actually did it myself by overdoing my exercises which weren't strengthening my quads so my hip was forced to do the work and that's how I got it.  Physio said that because I was left to my own devices just with the sheet of exercises handed to me in hospital that I was over extending and over exercising but the exercises weren't designed for building quads etc.  Since having the bursitis I've gone back to using a crutch when outdoors as the pain from it is so intense that I have been put back on oxycontin and have never stopped taking endone since my op.  Am totally dreading having my left knee done .. was run over by a truck that totally wrecked my knees prior to the accident I used to do marathons  and now I struggle to walk far.  One good thing is that I do have a 110% ROM.  Has your dr not suggested an ultrasound to make sure that's what you have .. but your physio would know an ultrasound just verifies it and for some the injection can work.

• Posted

Hi Diane 1959; I had the left knee 2- 23- 2015, I have had nothing but pain and inflammation for a long time. Last visit with my Dr. I had chronic nerve damage and Bursitis on right hip. He told me not to be sitting in soft furniture and use ice.Happy to say now it just comes and goes. He also told me most of my pain was in my head. Happy to report I now have little pain. Still take over the counter inflammatory meds, ice and heat whenever needed. Hang in their I do agree that you have to readjust your body frame when you fell better. Learning to use muscles that you haven't used in a long time. It does take time, don't rush yourself.

• Posted

Just to say I had a right TKR on 18 April and have developed chronic pain in my right hip. The knee no longer hurts at all (well, only if I overdo things).

its all very disappointing as I have been diligent in doing the exercises, and yet still can't walk much outdoors. Still use crutches.

so I'll be another one off to see my GP.......

• Posted

Hi Diane, looks like getting a bursitis is common sad after 3mths I'm so fed up with it hoping that with my dr's new ideas and physio it will go away!  Staying positive smile

• Posted

It does doesn't it. I have just been doing the basic exercises, so not too bad. I am off to the docs on Monday, so just might mention it.

• Posted

I wonder if there has been a study of bursitis following a hip operation?

Mine woke me again last night. Seven years I've had it!!!!!!!!

Very annoying!

• Posted

Also looks like it's common with those of us that have had TKR too sad  I've had mine for 3 mths now and at the beginning it would sometimes bring me to tears.  Really feel for you suffering with one for 7yrs!!!

Take care  ... cheers Tracey x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.