Burst Ovarian Cyst

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi everyone! I am hoping someone will have been in this situation and will be able to offer some advice. I am 24, went to GP with pain in lower right abdomen, nausea, stomach cramps and diahorrea 6 days ago, suspected appendicitis, told if pain remained call again and would be admitted to hospital. Day later, I had to be admitted as pain was dreadful. Was kept on a surgical ward for 2 days, talk of a laporoscopy (camera) or ultrasound to see whats going on. I had a raised temperature and the pain had radiated to my back. However, after a day and a half of being on a fluid drip, I suddenly felt better. The consultant thinks it was an ovarian cyst that had burst and discharged me 2 days ago. Without any investigations being performed to confirm. I am now sat at home, a little discomfort has come back and I have no advice leaflet, had no ultrasound, and do not know if I have them on my other ovary. What do you guys think I should do? Do I return to my GP and ask for an ultrasound to confirm if ovarian cyst/ what type/ any action needed? Or is it just a case of as they think its a burst ovarian cyst, I have to assume it has healed and wait for recovery? Also, how long do most people find it took them to feel back to 'FULL' health? Would appreciate any help and advice you can provide as most websites just talk about cancer and ovary removal and people who knew they had a cyst and were informed of what would happen to them! Thanks, smile

4 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Trickey

If I were you I would definately go back see your gp and ask to be sent for a scan. Can't believe (well really yest I can) that they did no investigations to make sure that everything was ok before discharging you. I have lost a lot of faith in hospitals as my daughter who is now 27 has been in numerous times over the years and have had not very good experiences.

My daughter was having the same exact pain like you but instead of saying it was her appendix (no men

tion that it could be an ovarian cyst. Kept saying it was due to her crohns disease. To cut a long story short she was in severe pain and called doctor out. He said was appendix. When she got to hospital they wasn't sure it was her appendix but could be ovarian cyst. She had to wait a couple of days like you on a drip and then told it was her appendix and they would remove it by keyhole surgery. Was only suppose to be in theatre for about hour and half for routine appendix op. Was in theatre for about four hours. When she came out was told she had a burst ovarian cyst with free fluid (not too sure what that means) also had a mass on her appendix so removed that but it had attached itself to her bowel because of her crohn's.

Luckily she got through it all as was touch and go.

Please go back and get checked and make sure your ovarian cyst has been dealt with. I hope you get on ok. Claire was off work for about three months but she did have a lot going on. Don't know how long should take you to feel better. Listen to your body and if you don't feel right go see your gp. Take someone with you for support if your gp won't listen to you. All the best. Theresa

• Posted

Hi i also have crohns and has been getting sever pain they did internal ultrasound it showed i have cysts on my ovaries after that all the sudden had worst pain in my life for about 2-3 days couldn't go to ed cause i have no one to look after my kids went to do another internal ultra sound showed no cysts i still have very bad pain every month im about 1 week late for my periods im 34 yrs old the dr keeps saying its from chrons
    • Posted

I'm not sure you will see this but it sounds like your daughter has endometriosis. I have bad pelvic pain. My first surgery my appendix was adhered to my abdominal wall from adhesions. I get cysts that rupture occasionally. I hope she is getting answers.

• Posted

Hi, I have endometriosis and am suffering through a ruptured ovarian cyst, I was wondering as someone who says you get them occasionally how long does it take to recover from it? I have been suffering now for 8 days and been on strong antibiotics for 5 days and I'm still suffering. 

Hope you can shed some light on the time frame of a burst cyst. 

Thanks. 

• Posted

Hi Theresa!! Thank you sooo much for replying!! They said I may have 'free fluid' too, which I believe means fluid between the stomach wall (may have misheard! was quite out of it at the time). I will definitely go back to my GP after the bank holidays and ask to be checked out. I am soo sorry your daughter had to go through all that. sad But i'm pleased to here she is doing much better. :D

Thanks again, and I will post on here what the GPs response is after my appointment to help others who may be in this situation.

Enjoy the Bank Holidays!!

Vicky

• Posted

Hi Vicky

Hope all goes well for you when you see your gp. You enjoy the holiday too.

Theresa x

• Posted

Hello,

I hope you've been back to your GP. My experience is very similar. I'd been going to my GP for a few years not really feeling 100 per cent - tired, emotional, bloated and experiencing urine infections. The last time I went she said there was no need to send me for a scan because I'd had one 6 years ago. Anyway, 2 weeks ago, out of the blue, I was in severe sudden pain like I'd never felt before. Doctors seemed to think appendix or kidney stones in casualty. I couldn't have a scan straight away because they close the scanning room at 5 o'clock. Anyway cut a long story short, 6 doctors later and 3 days later they discovered my cyst was 13cm long and had caused my ovary to twist, cutting off the blood supply. I was taken down for an emergency operation to remove my ovary (thank god the other one was healthy) and I just thank god there was a consultant there who knew what they were doing. Before he came along, one doctor wanted to send me home even after discovering the cyst and seeing how much pain I was in!! It's so scary, your life is in their hands. Please ask for a scan. I would never want anyone to go through what I went through, the pain was so severe and the whole experience was made worse because no one knew what the problem was for a few days! After the operation I caught an infection in hospital to top it off. Thank god I'm home now recovering. It's been 2 weeks since my operation and already I feel like a new woman!!! Good luck

Jade

• Posted

What a nightmare for you Jade. Thank god you are home and doing ok now. Ir is such a worry when sonmething like that happens and you have to put your trust in the medical people. My daughter has been in and out of hospital for the last thirteen years and you wouldn't beleive some of the things we have seen over the years. best wishes x x
  • Posted

I can imagine, after reading what you've been through Theresa :-( . It's so scary. I was told in hospital that you get people who are good at their jobs and people who are not so good so I shouldn't be suprised when some doctors and nurses get it wrong! That didn't fill me with confidence. I was left in casualty for 6 hours without a painkiller and I honestly have never felt pain like it. I'm so scared that me or a member of family will ever need to go to hospital again. I'm glad your daughter is ok now. I feel that I should complain to my MP or something as well as putting in an official complaint to the hospital. Like I said I just thank god that a really good doctor eventually came along to save my life. Take Care, Jade x
  • Posted

Yes it is a worry! It is sad as the good doctors and nurses get forgotten along the way. We always remember a bad experience more than a good one. I have learnt over the years you really have to speak up if you are not happy with what is going on. It is difficult for the patient if they are not well as alaffaffl their energy is used on coping with pain etc. I now speak up for my daughter if she is unable as in the past I just thought the staff do what they were doing. It is awfull that we need to make a fuss but if we don,t you get forgotten. I have a sister-in-law who is a Sister on a ward and she gets very frustrated with the politics that go on. What she once to do is give more time and care to her patiences. Because of staff shortages and paperwork she is unable to do that. That is what she went into nursing for. I would definately complain about your hospital if you feel up to it and contact PALS at your hospital who should advise you what to do.

Take care x

• Posted

Yes it is a worry! It is sad as the good doctors and nurses get forgotten along the way. We always remember a bad experience more than a good one. I have learnt over the years you really have to speak up if you are not happy with what is going on. It is difficult for the patient if they are not well as alaffaffl their energy is used on coping with pain etc. I now speak up for my daughter if she is unable as in the past I just thought the staff do what they were doing. It is awfull that we need to make a fuss but if we don,t you get forgotten. I have a sister-in-law who is a Sister on a ward and she gets very frustrated with the politics that go on. What she once to do is give more time and care to her patiences. Because of staff shortages and paperwork she is unable to do that. That is what she went into nursing for. I would definately complain about your hospital if you feel up to it and contact PALS at your hospital who should advise you what to do.

Take care x

• Posted

ps sorry about the spelling not sure what has happened to my brain this morning,

Theresa

• Posted

Hik Vicky I hope you are doing ok and have managed to get to see your doctor.

Theresa

• Posted

Thanks Theresa,

I do intend on putting it all in writing even if it prevents someone else going through the same thing. I used to assume there was no need to question anything but it was only after my mother insisted that they gave me a scan the next day. Otherwise, god knows when I would have had a scan and maybe it would have been too late. Well I'll let you know the outcome -it may be a whlie before I hear anything mind! I hope Vicky is ok.

Take Care

Jade

• Posted

Hi all! Just thought I would do a quick update for you all. I have made an appointment with my GP though it is 2 weeks away, but thankfully the pain seems to have subsided for the moment so I should be ok to wait. Luckily, my GP practice operates a fantastic emergency appointment system so I assure you ladies that if I am in ANY pain at all while waiting for my actual appointment, I will be straight on it!! I will report again after I see my GP. And Jade, from reading about your experience along with Theresa's daughters experience, I will not be brushed aside!! :D

Best wishes ladies,

Vicky

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.