BuTrans Patches - side effects - thinking of stopping taking them

Posted , 43 users are following.

I've been on BuTrans patches for 12 months for pain relief for my hip.  I should have had a hip replacement on 30 July 2014 but had 4th heart attack on 16 July 2014 so obviously the operation was cancelled. (I fractured my hip 28 years ago in a horse riding accident and have managed without a replacement op till now - pain was really bad last year) I have been in hospital for the last week and was discharged yesterday -  I have lost almost 2st in weight over the last 12 months.  I am nauseous all the time have no appetite, I'm shakey and weak and dizzy.  I've been trying to carry on and get on with life but have had chest pains which is angina caused by the fact that I am so weak I'm forcing myself to get up and eat etc and my heart is struggling.  Hospital can't find out what is wrong with me - they have tried all sorts of tests including a body scan and more or less told me to get on with it - I have rehad Social worker calling daily to help me. Medication I'm on for my heart is Ivabradine to slow my heart down and Isosorbide to open my arteries, Clopideral and asprin to thin my blood and Ezetmebe instead of a statin.  Hopsital say heart medication should not give me the symptoms I'm getting so only other thing can be the patches.  Has anyone else had similar symptoms.  What will happen if I stop using the patches - I'm desparate I will try anything I hate feeling so ill I just want to have some fun.  I'm a young 68 and belong to loads of clubs and social activities - hospital want me to take anti-depressants but I'm not depressed and also concerned if I put more chemicals (tablets) in my systom, my body has also to get used to them too!  Feedback would be very gratefully received.  Thanks - Eunice

2 likes, 88 replies

88 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello eunice. I'm really sorry to hear you have been so unwell. I hope the doctors can sort out your problems soon. The problem is if you stop the patches you are going to run into more problems. The medication is an opiate so it will have to be tapered down very gradually and preferably with the help of your doctor. Stopping them immediately with no back up will lead to awful withdrawal symptoms and on top of what you are experiencing that's the last thing you need. After such a long time idy be surprised if they were the cause of your symptoms. Sorry I can't help you further but I'm sure someone else on this forum will have some good advice.
    • Posted

Thanks Matron

As you will see from my reply to Katie I have taken the patch off and will work thru it.  I have just been listening to a chat programme on the radio featuring the use of drugs including prescribed drugs for medical reasons.  I have emailed them for comments on 'going cold turkey'  I will include any response from them on this page if I think it may help other people out there.  I am determined to get well and enjoy life again whatever it takes - without drugs and in pain if needs be.

Thanks again

Eunice

• Posted

Hello eunice. It will be really useful to hear what comments you get from your Email. I take codeine phosphate for pain in my joints, I have rheumatoid arthritis. I've taken it for so long I know that if they ever stop it I'll run into problems. Take care 
    • Posted

Hi Matron - I've posted the response I received from the drug help line here on Isle of Man please read what they have said it may help.

Thanks

Eunice

• Posted

I was just put on the patch 5..Benin on for 4 days, already taking it off,I feel like a zombie..belly hurts and headaches..can't sleep.. It is horrible!

• Posted

Hi Matron. I had a very serious leg break in 07 (tib, fib and femur) i have a tibial nail from knee to ankle plus a llate in my femur. I was in constant pain even years later and found myself eating a lot of codeinem i got a new dr who stopped them without realising how addicted i had become. I had some awful withdrawal symptoms and was eventually put back on codeine to be tapered off. Worst 4-5 months ever. I now use 20mcg butrans patch which has worked wonders for me without leaving me feeling high or sick etc. However i have forgot to put my repeat script in last week and am now in the throws of withdrawal from the patch now. This will be fixed after work however but it feels exactly the same as coming off codeine. In my case i will never be off medication i have been told and arthritis has seeped into my bones too and i am not even 30 yet. Its basically a trade off. If you can manage the pain then do it but if not we must accept that we are slaves to our medications. It is not a great feeling to know i will be addicted forever but without it i would not even be able to get out of bed nevermind run after 2 kids under 6 or go to workm talking about it in places such as this does certainly help. I feel all your worries about withdrawal it was and currently is an awful experience. If i could just finish building my time machine though i woyld return to that fateful day and never get on my old motorbike.
    • Posted

Patricia those feeling definitely pass but if you can manage without the patch them eo so for as long as possible. I have far too much experience in this than my small number of years should allow.
    • Posted

Dear Matron

I have been on the butec patches and Oramorph for 2/3 years last Saturday I removed the patches. For the last 5 days I haven't been able to stop crying, my appetite has deminished and I feel absolutely washed out. I am hardly sleeping and when I do it's at the wrong time, so I'm them awake most of the night is this a side effect? If so how long will this go on for.

• Posted

hi!new to this forum.ive been on butrans and tramadol for 7 years.severe fybromyalgia.ive weaned myself down to 20mg but it is hell.migraines,constant nausea,gutache off the scale,feeling really anxious,brain fog,no sleep,being nasty to my wife.i could go on,its a opiate that gets u hooked.if u can tolerate the side effects go for it but you will go through hell.virtually wanting to end your life.not nice to ay.its a long hau and only u can beat it.i'm feeling horrendous with pain all over.i hope u have the strength to do it xxx

• Posted

Hi Eunice, 

well ill you can take my advice whichever way you want but I would really hope that whichever you choose that things improved for you soon.   I started taking Butrans back in 2007, I have arthritis all over basically and I also have Fibromyalgia.  I started on the patches at 5mg and reach 20mg.after having hip replacements etc. as the years have Gone by my life has just deteriorated so much that I now don't really have one.  I was part of a very large family but they just gave up on me.  I gave my own children now in the. 30's, I have my lovely husband who tolerates a great deal from me and my ailments. although our marriage has suffered greatly at the hands of all my symptoms we are still together although things are somewhat strained. I have for many years suffered from a certain amount of chronic fatigue and insomnia and sometimes it would be really bad. But about 4 years ago I was hit by a bus and although my injuries were not life threatening I have only got worse since that happened.  The pain has been controlled to a degree but my chronic fatigue just got gradually worse as the years have gone on.  I also, 2 years ago started to suffer very badly from Peripheral Nuropathy in the bottom of my legs and feet. I stopped leaving the house totally and just relied on my family to carry on without me. No energy, no sleep but so chronically tired. I aged so much in this time.  My weight gain of over 2 stone was making life even harder for me as it was increasing the pain.  

Only 2 weeks ago..........I decided to take a thorough look at my medications and research each one individually to see if it was possible that any of them could be to blame for some of my mound of problems.  Then one day there it was, hitting me right in the face.........my ButransPatches!!!!! Seriously, I got such a shock to discover the possible side affects and I appeared to have most of them.  Now what I am about to tell you is not advisable and I am not suggesting you do it. I decided that the only way I was going to know was to not use the patches anymore but because my suffering has been for so long I was not willing to be weaned off of the patches.  So I ripped my 20mg patch off there and then.  I did not know what was to come, I knew it could be bad but I had to take the chance. That was 2 weeks ago.  I am now a totally different person.  My insomnia disappeared overnight and my chronic fatigue within a couple of days. The nuropathy in my feet is still with me to a degree but I have every confidence it will go totally.  I would need to go on and on to tell you just how mant symptoms I had that have been going away since tearing that patch off. I have been given my life back. Here are just some of my symptoms that have now either totally gone or are still going....

chronic fatigue

nuropathy

depression

low blood suger

severe eyesight problems. 

High blood pressure

high cholesterol 

hair loss

dry eyes

constipation

dry mouth

headaches

painful neck (cervical)

intolerance to alcohol

sweating badly all the time.

i could go on forever.  In my eyes these patches are horrific things and I would rather the pain itself than no life at all. I am controlling the pain the a degree with co-coda mol.  Quite high doses.  

As I say I can only tell you my story but you must make up your own mind. I am only two weeks on and I am a new woman. 

Oh by the way I am 65 years old and feel like I now have a future. 

Katie 🙋🎅😘👍

• Posted

Wow Katie - thank you so much.  I took the patch off yesterday and have not replaced it.  I have gone as they say cold turkey - if I suffer for 2 weeks it cant be any worse than what I am feeling now. 

I am 68 and only retired in March of this year.  I have always been outgoing and positive I can't believe how negative I feel.  I have agreed to go in a nursing home for 2 weeks so they can help me get stronger - I just cant bear to see my lovely daughter crying because she can't help me.

There's only one concern in what you wrote to me - Be careful with co-codomol they also contain opium as do the the BuTrans patches - try and wean yourself off them if you can and go to paracetamol only.

Please keep in touch as it does help if you can be in contact with someone with similar problems.

Thanks for responding.

Eunice

• Posted

Katie I have just posted another comment after hearing from the drugs help council here on the Isle of Man - please read it because it may help you.  Please let me know if you are ok.

Thanks

Eunice

• Posted

i have trouble on computers but your  message was encouraging. i dont feel like living any more from the butrans,i see doctor in 2 weeks,if you reply i dont know if i can reply back as competers confise me terribly,i have trouble accessing this web site too complicated,but i could sure use some encouragement.god bless you.
    • Posted

your post has given me encouragement. been on 7.5 patch or a year.feel my life slowly slipping away.have appt.thurs. with doc.i am going to ask to get off them.thanks for your story.pray for me.garland.
    • Posted

hi im so glad i just read your post, i am 67 and been on 5mg patches for couple years approx but they were changed to 10mg in April since then i flew to spain feet swelled and didnt go down ,dlew back home they were so bad had to go to walk in who gave me water tabs when i got in with my doc he said low blood pressure these tabs not to take. Since then i have been having strange anxiety attacks and fear for our cruise in 2 weeks so i took off bu trans on 27 May and feel alot better still not sleeping but alot of anxiety has gone so im just going cold turkey hoping that in 2 wks i will enjoy our holiday
    • Posted

Hi Kath

Why were you using patches?  Be careful because the Butrans will still be active in your body for a few days and then whatever pain you have will come back with a vengeance!  

Have you spoken to your doctor about alternative pain relief?  It will probably take you longer than 2 weeks to recover if you've been on patches for 2 years. Don't give in though get some help - you can get off these terrible drugs as this forum proves. 

You've taken the first step so well done - keep going. Hopefully a wonderful restful cruise will also help. Good luck. Xx

• Posted

I think your Post HELPED Me IMMENSE!

I got started on the butrans 20mcg patch 8 months ago I read your post months ago and I'll tell you at 8 months I felt like crap...I was a walking talking side affect. I ripped my patch of well over a week ago ...I got cramps and Diareah and was able to have a moment of clarity I really missed prior to starting butrans. 38 and off butrans 20's and I'm focusing on my health rather than pain relief.

Obviously not all are so lucky but for me I found change in my self was more important than a life of that zombie state I was in. Thank you all and I hope if your suffering from this patch you take a long look at yourself and choose different.

• Posted

Careful with paracetamol though also it is extremely toxic. 500mg in each cocodamol also.
    • Posted

Hello Cass!

I just have to ask you, how long did it take for you to feel better again (when the butrans was out of your system?)

Ive been put on butrans 20 mcg and have done so now 6 Months and and im done! Ripped the patch of and wondering how bad i will feel.. How many days?

And also when did you know you had nothing left in your body? How long time did it take?

Thanks dear! Id love a reply xoxo

Em

• Posted

Hi Katie, I just got off my 5mg of Butrans, after 2 years. I am deathly afraid as I don't know what to expect. My Doctor said it was time to stop and I should be ok. This is my first time posting here, I have 2 kids and am very afraid. So glad to hear all the positive things you got from coming off that Vicious Patch.

• Posted

Oh Katie, I'm so happy for you!

I sounded just like you about three months ago when I was put on Butran patches. I actually started to have a life! I could move without pain! Woo hoo

Well, I'm here in this forum to see if anyone else is experiencing pain in their feet. I sit at my job but my feet hurt terribly! Even when I'm laying down I have been getting shooting pains. So, I'm guessing the Butrans ARE the cause and I'll have to find some other pain-relief miracle in a bottle. Ugh

Good luck and God Bless you!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.