Bye Bye Sigmoid

Posted , 6 users are following.

After thirteen long months of more or less permanent D I fanally have a date to have the whole of my sigmoid colon removed. All being well 24th Feb I can say bye bye to this "troublesome little bleeder".

I will be glad to see the back of antibiotics, pain meds, cramps, fevers, sleepless nights, bland diets, troublesome bowel and being social recluse.

I realise recovery will take a while and that the stoma reversal will be no picnic, though I think I have made the right decision for me and my family. I have pretty much written off 2017 already but so looking forward to 2018 biggrin

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I'm having the same op 31st Jan. I thought the colostomy is only a possibility not routine? Also been told recovery is 6 weeks,? I get 6 weeks paid sick leave so need to go back then. Anyway looks like I'll be around 3 weeks ahead of you so we can compare notes.

• Posted

Hi Kitty, asked surgeon if stoma was a must, he advised he could do it without, but if complications arose and I needed a stoma at a later date it would be permanent. So i opted for a temp one now.

It is the only bit I am dreading, but a couple of ladies on here who have been through it have been a wonderful help (lucyb53 and mary0612) In all honesty the forum as a whole has been a godsend.

Good luck with your op, comparing notes sounds good

Ste

• Posted

I had 12" of my sigmoid removed 5 weeks ago. I had robotic laparoscopic surgical resection. The first few weeks are hell, but it gets a little easier each day. I was told that most people have 5-10 bms a day, after surgery. I have opposite problem of constipation. Some things to expect- lots of bad gas. Be sure to walk as quickly as possible after surgery. It prevents blood clots and helps your body get back to normal, faster. I walk a little over a mile most-days. Low fiber diet for 5-6 weeks. Dont push it with the fiber. My doctor told me after 3 weeks I could eat what I want but 5 weeks out, fiber is still rough on my system. Lots of gas and gut rumbling but nothing else. I used ice packs immediately after surgery, every day for 2 weeks.I then started alternating ice with heating pad. My skin feels sore on my stomach but I suspect it nerves regenerating. You will most likely be on clear liquids for 2-3 dsys, then full kliquids such as creamy foods like creamy soup, ice cream, cream of wheat, pudding, etc. If you tolerate full liquids you can progress to soft foods for next several weeks.

• Posted

Hi Gigi, thanks for that helpful response. That is why I love this forum, people are so brilliant with their help and experiences. Knowing what fellow sufferers experience is far more helpful than what the professionals say should happen in a perfect world. I do think forewarned is forearmed and will help deal with things better.

I struggle with fibre at the moment and red meats, so I avoid them, sticking to a lowfat, low fibre and low residual diet. Miss roast dinners like crazy and my occaissional beer sad

Mrs says bad gas wont be anything new LOL

Surgeon is intending to do laprascopic procedure, no idea if that is robotic here, but did advise that it may have to convert to open surgery. Donated right kidney using laprascopic surgery and was home three days after op, realise I wont be home as quick this timesad

It is because of reoples experiences and my own research that I am basically going to write off this year and put it down to recovery and enjoy next year instead biggrin

• Posted

Scouwegian,

Not sure why you need a stoma? Im a nurse and have only heard a stoma is necessary if youve perforated or its done as an emergency surgery. I did not get one. I was discharged afyer 4 days from hospital. Be sure to ask for anti nausea meds to go home with. I had intermittent waves of it but never vomited. Also, get off the opioid pain meds as soon as possible! They mess up your system. I switched to ibuprofen after week one. It helped quite a bit. Always ask your surgeon first though. Dont worry. You will be up and running long before 2018! You will be just fine! 😊

• Posted

On tramadol and paras at present which I only take when the pain is at it's grimmest. Cannot take NSAIDS(ibuprofen) after donating kidney as now classed as Chrinic Kidney Disease( not that I really have problems with the remaing one)

I am down as an urgent case though not an emergency, pouches are interfering with a blood vessel though no rupture so far, thankfully. I am guessing that it is this surgeons normal routine to put in a stoma to allow the "join" to heal.Just before the pre-op appt I have to attend a "bowel op school" for a few hours so hoping that will explain more.

Anti nausea meds sound an excellent idea, will add it to my list of questions smile

• Posted

Scouwegian,

Sounds like youve got alot going on. Yep no nsaids with one kidney. Guess its tylenol for you. You will probably be on a pain pump for 2 days after surgery. I opted out for that and took oral pain meds. I am praying for your successful surgery and recovery!

• Posted

Gigi

just the DD going on really. The kidney was a good thing, as my brother was in kidney failure and I had a spare LOLrazz Tylenol is just paracetamol here in uk. I am taking that with the tramadol, be glad when I am finished with it. Doc offered oramorph but refused that so far.

I am sure all will be fine in the long run

x

• Posted

I've had 3 flares in 3months last yr. It's not fun and very painful. So far so good.. but I understand why you are doing the surgery. I just wanted to say you are going to be fine and 2017 will be your yearsmile praying for a speedy recovery for you.

• Posted

Thanks Hollie

fingers crossed it stays good for you. Surgery was an easy but not lightly taken decision. 2017 will be a year of ops and recovery. 2018 will be making up for lost timecheesygrin

• Posted

Good luck, im newly diagnosed and just picked up my 4th set of antibiotics since mid November! Take care of yourself.
    • Posted

Hi Mrsl, fingers crossed the antibiotics do the trick for you. Keep an eye on your diet, certain foods certainly make it much worse for me. A bland diet is a small price to pay if it keeps it under control for yourolleyes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.