C-Toma

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I just got a c-toma surgery on my left ear done a week ago. I've been wondering if my balance and dizzyness will go away with time. I've heard most that it would go away in a couple of weeks. Right now I am feeling better but can't drive. I can bare the balance when I am standing or walking but can't do anything fast movements. My doctor told me peoples recover their balance, etc...better not lied to me or I might file a law suit. lol

Now I am going to have another surgery on my right ear and everything will be need to be taken out (middle ear and inner ear, bones, etc)...since the stupid diesease has eroded most of my bones and I am going to be deaf. Hopefully I can regain balance because I am still young and have so many goals and want to own a dream car and drive it one day...hopefully this thing don't ruined my life.

Thanks all!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I'm 16 and I had c toma about 7 weeks ago. Recovery is different for different people. By 4 weeks I was able to walk places but if I walk too far I get dizzy and headaches. I also get a lot of noise in my ear. But you just have to bear with it. My surgeon told me it can take up to 6 months to complete the recovery but there are a lot worse conditions out there. And as deafness goes there is a high chance of losing all your hearing however I am only half deaf in one ear so it is possible to save some. And even then there are hearing aids

Hope this helps

• Posted

I hope you feel better and that you can do the things you loved again soon. Speedy recovery and lets all beat c-toma disease smile

• Posted

Hey, biie.

I am 16 and also had C-stoma surgery about 2 months ago. First 2 weeks or so I also couldn't keep my balance. I just took it nice and easy. I suggest you do the same, and your balance will come back to you soon. And like Amy said, if you have tinnitus(ringing in your ears), it won't get much better unfortunately. It is the one thing that is driving me insane. It isn't as loud as it was, but it still is pretty loud now. You are going to have to get used to it. I had trouble falling asleep the first month, so sleeping medication might be a good idea if you can't sleep either.

Best of luck with your next surgery!

• Posted

Thanks! I will try relaxing more and I think everything will be fine. Good luck to you too since you are still pretty recent into your surgery too.
  • Posted

Cholesteatoma and the surgeries will not stop you from living a full life. Technology is constantly changing.

My husband has had 3 cholesteatoma removal surgeries. He finished out with 20 years of service in the Air Force.

Our 11 year old son was diagnosed in October of last year. He had a radical mastoidectomy Canal wall down. All the bones in the inner ear were destroyed as was a large piece of the mastoid. Yes he is deaf on that side but he's a regular kid. If you didn't know him you wouldn't know that he'd even had the surgery. His dizziness lasted about 3 days.

My husband has Meniere's disease. He does have dizzy spells but Valium takes care of that for him.

It is scary but it's not going to stop you from achieving your dreams in the long run.

• Posted

Wow, thank you for telling me that. Gives me a lot of hopes and will make me stronger to overcome this. I wish you, your husband and son are all living a good life right now. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.