Cabbage juice helps in reducing acid reflux and gastritis (due to Hpylori)!!

Posted , 25 users are following.

Hi,

Wanted to share with everyone here that cabbage juice does indeed help in healing gastritis! I did it for a week and it worked for me! I am not cured completely, but I am much much better than I was. Last 2 days I have had no stomach pains, acid reflux is almost gone (added advantage that I didnt expect) except for a bit of post nasal drip and feeling almost normal. Fingers crossed and hope to heal completely soon!

Just to give you a small background, I had acid reflux (silent reflux) starting last Oct (2014). I had never had acid reflux in my entire life, I am 28yrs old. Not once. And then this suddenly started. I have reflux day in day out. I panicked and underwent terrible stress. I tried all sorts of natural remedies. Nothing worked. I was scared of taking PPI after reading about side effects on the internet. A naturopath misdiagnosed me with candida (I think they over diagnoze candida infections) and put me on an anti candida diet. I lost more than 20lbs (which I didnt need to) and felt worse after 2 months on the diet. I looked thin, was terribly sick and I thought my life was over. Sometime during this period, I guess I developed the gastritis as well although blood tests and stool test for hpylori kept coming back negative. 

I needed a break. I went home to India. Went to my family doctor, got myself checked by a GI. Had ultrasounds, CT scans (they thought it was my gallbladder initially), blood work and gastroscopy. Ultimately they diagnosed me with gastritis due to Hpylori (positive through gastroscopy), acid reflux (LPR) and vitamin D deficiency.

I took the triple therapy for Hpylori and and PPI's. I took injections and soft gels for the Vitamin D. I guess the pylori is gone as I started feeling better after taking antibiotics but the gastritis was still there. So i continued the PPI's and swithced to a low fat diet. No milk and dairy except lots of homemade yoghurt. I started feeling better but not completely. I would still have lot of bad days and few good days.

Last week I decided to do the cabbage juice. I did 4 cups of cabbage & carrot juice a day for 6 days and I can make out a huge difference now!I havent had stomach pains in 3 days, not even after eating. i even went out to a nearby restaurant and had a buffet, Nothing, no pain, very few burps. Also, the acid reflux suddenly came down. I am happy to report I am almost feeling normal. 

I am not cured completely but I wish I had continued the cabbage juice for another week. But I couldnt drink it anymore smile

The cabbage juice did cause me to feel a bit tired and crappy (maybe because it is known to affect the thyroid) and cuased some gas. But I persisted. I thought if I continue to feel worse I would give up the treatment but after 3 days I started to slowly feel better. Now I am left with a bit of post nasal drip sometimes in the afternoon(reminding me of the reflux but much better than before). But other than that, mostly feeling better. Will wait for a week and update again on the forum!

So guys, go ahead and try this if you think you can tolerate drinking cabbage juice and if you do not have any thyroid issues!

3 likes, 67 replies

67 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i have heard of a women who cured her stomach ulcers with this .in 3 days .

they only recommened 3 days but i suppose longer isent going to do any harm .but for those 3 days she ate nothing els and only drank water 

can be really stupid and ask how you juice the cabbage and carrott do you have to buy a special juicer machine . i dont need it at the moment but i make notes of anything like this as a reference in case i do in the future.

• Posted

hi tiswas, sorry for the Late reply!

i ate a regular diet while doing the cabbage juice. I wouldn't have been able to sustain only on the juice. 

I used a normal blender/mixer which juiced the cabbage and carrots. I grated them and put them in so they would get blended easily.

Tiswas Are you from India?

• Posted

Cabbage & broccoli are anti-parasitic...as well as many other things in nature...so it is likely this is why it worked.  Garlic & onion also has anti-parasitic qualities.  Pumpkin seeds are good as well as black walnut hull extract and non-irriradiated cloves & wormwood (in capsule form).  Fruits that are anti-parasitic are pineapple, papaya, pomegranate and blackberries. These can be eaten, made into a fresh juice or taken in supplement form. Drink up to four 8 oz. glasses of pomegranate juice a day for an anti-parasitic effect. To avoid irritating the intestines, limit consumption to 4-5 days at a time. Pineapple contains the digestive enzyme bromelain and helps to clear certain parasitic infections, such as tapeworms. Papaya seeds contain enzymes that help to digest protein. There are also foods you should eat to strengthen your system. Look up .. total cleanse detox diet...to find lots of good information. 
    • Posted

this is great info renee

where did you resource all this? brilliant!

I would add sweating and infa red  saunas...amazingly sweat does this too! american indians maintained health this way...before we decimated their culture and replaced it with fast food  and violent movies...

• Posted

From some of my go to sites...also I do a good cleanse once or twice a year. Yes, infra red saunas are wonderful....have thought of putting one in my home and have researched them extensively. Haven't sold the hubby on the idea yet.
    • Posted

ha !   oh the hubby

well how about you pay for it?

so what are you dealing with renee? me autoimmune thyroiditis (raised antibodies...determined to get them down)...and lichen sclerosis...hooray!

• Posted

He just doesn't see the value in it....and yes, even if I pay for it which I would have to.  I am putting in an organic garden this spring...so that is another step towards healthier living. We eat a lot of organic now...but nothing like your own fresh veggies. We do have organic apple trees at our cottage and peach and plum trees at home. I have lichen planus and lichen sclerosis...pretty well under control...but need to do better...and mild osteo-arthritis.  
    • Posted

oh wow an organic garden ...all hail!! way to go !!xxxxxxxxxx have you considered food sensitivities as well. this is multi layered but pretty sure you know that...lets keep nagging each other xxxxx
    • Posted

Thanks Renee smile that was very helpful!

actually I did a cleanse previously that made me worse. So I am just sticking to eating healthy foods for now and it's helping me I guess smile

• Posted

its so interesting that something which works for one person just doesn't seem to work for another!

would you mind mentioning the type of cleanse that you tried before and why you think that it didn't work for you?

• Posted

it was a cleanse ordered by a naturopath I was seeing (he thought I might have candida). I think my gastritis symptoms started after doing the cleanse! It might have been a coincidence but after that cleanse my problems just got worse. It was called perfect cleanse. IIt had 3 parts-purify, cleans and remove.  Google perfect cleanse!

thinking to try gastrazyme tablets from biotic, it has the vitamin U of the cabbage, without worrying about thyroid. 

• Posted

Hi, It's right that Cabbage juice helps in reducing acid reflux and gastritis and also helpful in your stomach ulcers. Cabbage have natural antiulcer drugs in it.Cabbage juice are helpful is such condition like arthritis, stomach ulcers and metabolic disturbances.Use of fresh cabbage juice every day relieved pain and healed both gastric and duodenal ulcers better.
  • Posted

Hey sirivinay, great to hear your experience, I am just drinking my first cabbage juice drink. I've had exactly what you've described for a good few years now.

Hoping it works for me. How are you doing now?! Did you manage to keep going with it?!

• Posted

hi Lk,

how ow is the cabbage juice going for you? 

I drank it for 7 days..4 times a day..I mixed in carrot to make it taste better. But honestly I stopped after 7 days because I was worried about the thyroid. It did help me with the gastritis though. I am doing bettor now, but I still have to be careful with my diet and stick to foods that don't irritate my throat as well as stomach. So mostly having rice, veggies, bananas, whole wheat bread, lentils and yoghurt. 

I think my gastritis is getting better as I have started to gain back weight slowly as well. 

How many days are you planning to do?

• Posted

Well I did 2 yesterday and I'm going to do 3 each day now going forwards. I felt a bit better at the start of today and actually after each juice. I'm juicing green cabbage, celery and carrots but I've reduced the celery to make it taste a bit better and go down easier. I don't find the taste too unpleasant. I'm also having bone broth soup which is why I'm not drinking the full 4 cups of juice.

This is the worst my gastritis has been in 3 years - I actually think the h pylori might be back so going to get re- tested next week. I was taking pepzinGI and think it's done the opposite of what it's meant to. Will try to do until next Friday so 9 days and then might try to continue 1 glass a day.

• Posted

do you think the green veg effected yout thyroid...or are you ok? the theory about goitrogens seems to have been turned around to the view of them not only being ok but also, once again. good for you! a relief but like you perhaps that theory left me with some uncertainty. i think it may have been more about other imbalances but datis k has reversed his position and now assures us grrens are good!!
    • Posted

Am ok lizzie smile I had my thyroid checked and everything is fine. You are right I was uncertain and I just didn't want to take more of cabbage for fear of possible thyroid issues. I am planning to take gastrazyme tablets, which has the vitamin U of cabbage but you don't have to worry about the thyroid. Have you tried that?
    • Posted

Ohh that's bad. I thought once it's gone, the Hpylori doesn't come back?i didn't know it could re occur. Am sorry to hear your troubles. I had trouble with pepsin GI as well, I felt it irritated my stomach. Actually I started feeling normal when I stopped all supplements, ans stuck only to diet and PPI. Let me know how it goes!

as I mentioned in my reply below to Lizzie, I am planning to take gastrazyme tablets. It's the same as taking cabbage juice but without worrying about thyroid side effects. 

• Posted

No it can come back but I think the re-infection rate is low. I'm not sure mines ever gone to be honest. I have a negative result following an endoscopy but I just didn't feel better then and was on PPIs at the time.

I thought pepzinGI was amazing at first but after 2 weeks I started to get this intense hunger feeling all day and it went after I stopped it. Now I just feel like I have gut rot.

My naturopath suggested the bone broth and cabbage juice to help heal things whilst I wait for the acid suppressors to get out of my body before the h pylori test. Also going to be getting tested for SIBO.

Once I've had these tests I will start drinking matula tea because that calms things down (although it doesn't get rid of h pylori)! Plus take antibiotics if I'm found to have the infection.

Day 4 today and I can definitely feel an improvement thank goodness.

• Posted

hmmmmmmmmm what TSH reading did you get? They say its fine around 4.5. That's high. NORMAL is 1.00.!!! But hard to achieve. I've got mine down to 3 without thyroxin just an elimination diet.

Do you feel sluggish have falling hair or the outer third of your eyebrows thinning out?

Best to aim for a TSH below 2. Low thyroid affects stomach acid ....and slow stomach acid effects the thyroid.

Please be aware that PPI's are seriously addictive and that parasites want you to retain a low acid level in the stomach....so they can survive.

Seriously we can be controlled by parasites. They give us cravings so we keep feeding them!! Thats why I have autoimmunity and need to address my low stomach acid. But you guys have first to heal the stomach lining...so then you can rebuild the levels of acidity so h pylori can't survive.

TIP I go to see my doctor to find out what he recommends and then do the opposite. It is very reliable!! I'm a trained nurse too working in gastroenterology...we are just finding all this stuff out and mostly from patients who read more widely than we do!!

• Posted

Wow Lizzie, being anp nurse you must know a lot then! 

My TSH is around 2. My doc said its within the normal range. I don't feel sluggish thank god. Hair fall is there but I think that's usual amount, nothing worrisome. Eyebrows are fine! 

The only 2 things they found other than gastritis was a small hemangioma on my liver and EH (amoeba) in my stools. My GI doc said hemangioma is very tiny and nothing to worry. For the EH, I have been given antibiotics which I am yet to take. Don't want to take them honestly as its symptomatic but my doc was ts me to take to avoid risk. 

• Posted

You are so right about PPI's. I fought for 3 months without taking them and using natural products but eventually I got so sick I had to take them. I also spent a lot of money on natural stuff and also consulted s naturopath. None of them worked like the PPI. With PPI now, I feel almost normal. So I had no choice. 

I am weaning off of them this week, will be using Zantac for few days to avoid acid rebound. When I reduced my dosage of PPI by half last month I didn't have any rebound thank god! Let's see how it goes this time. 

• Posted

Lol..that's funny, doing the opposite of what doc says!

I am planning to take gastrazyme to heal the stomach. I Started taking  lemon juice, will see how I feel with it for acid reflux. My reflux is not severe but it's there. It's not debilitating, it's quite mild but it's there which makes it annoying. My husband has reflux too, almost everyday. His is also mild, like mine but he is not on any medication yet. 

How are you treating the low stomach acid?anything worked for you Lizzie?

• Posted

That's great LK! To hear about your improvement smile pray you heal soon! So the cabbage juice has been working for you! Are you still doing it? You can take gastrazyme pills. They have the vitamin U component of the cabbage but easier to take sn making cabbage juice. I am planning to try it.

i heard bone broth helps healing. I am a vegetarian so haven't taken any. Do you have any symptoms caused by SIBO?do you have any food intolerances? 

The PPI's made me feel almost normal. Funny how different things work for different people. Pepsin gI didn't work for me as well!

i heard matula tea is quite powerful!

• Posted

I'm wary of taking anything like gastrazyme now after the pepzinGI experience. But I'm not finding the cabbage juice too bad so will keep going. It's strange as things were really bad this morning but better after lunch. I've had mixed results with the cabbage juice, my symptoms have gotten worse again despite still doing it.

I've done the h pylori test now so just waiting on the results.

I do have food intolerances and have most of the symptoms for SIBO.

Matula tea is nice to drunk and healing but it doesn't get rid of h pylori properly.

• Posted

hi sirivinay

my issue is autoimmune thyroiditis....it is often associated with low stomach acid and gut infections. thats why i'm here to check out how you're dealing with the higher digestive issues. i don't have reflux or any symptoms but underlying there will be something....just got to workout what  and an effective strategy.

i have found dr izabella wentz (pharm) to be very helpful...google and on facebook....she had acid reflux and low stomach acid....which she fixed with betaine with pepsin...and she was able to sleep for the first time in years! xx

• Posted

good to know you don't have reflux Lizzie! It's one of the worst things for someone to have. I always feel that I can deal with anything else other than reflux! Ironically,I don't have any other issues other than reflux and gastritis. I have no food intolerances, sinus, headaches, allergies, lower GI issues...everything is absolutely fine. And I don't have reflux at night. I can even sleep flat on my bed and feel perfectly fine in the morning,in fact, I sleep soundly at night.. Same case with my husband. Ours is a strange case I guess. Beating hcl didn't work for me, maybe due to gastritis, will have to try it again sometime. 
    • Posted

Sometimes when I'm busy, I forget about the reflux. Guess my solution is to stay busy! I used to work in India but am at home now as I am on a dependent visa here in the U.S. I am planning to do my masters so that it would be worthwhile and that will help me get back to work. It's really difficult to not focus on your illness when you are pretty much idle.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.