Calcium channel blocking Amlodiiine

Posted , 5 users are following.

Raised cholesterol and AC1

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

kathleen04185...I have a question. What makes you think the Amlodipine is responsible for your cholesterol and AC1 rising? You didn't say how long you've been taking the Amlodipine. 

Some people don't have a problem with Amlodipine while others do. We are all different. My cousin takes 2.5 in the morning, then 2.5 in the afternoon. No diuretic..& her bp is controlled nicely. A while back she was spiking in the afternoons, so her doctor suggested she cut the tablet in half thereby taking 2.5 in the morning, & 2.5 in the afternoon. This did the trick. I started with 5mg Amlodipine, & didn't have much control, then went on 10mgs, but had to come off because of badly swollen feet/ankles/legs which is a very common side effect of the drug. I also have a friend who takes 5mg Amlodipie & has no trouble whatsoever. If you look into this forum about Amlodipine you'll find many people who are having a lot of trouble.

Your doctor is the best person to speak with about this problem.

• Posted

I take 7.5 mg of Amlodipine once daily.  My BP is controlled nicely, however if it wasn't for my walking (5-7 miles/day) I'd also have swelling in my ankles.  I keep track of my blood work and when I don't take any BP meds, my cholesterol, AC1 (I'm not pre-diabetic yet) and kidney filtration rate are all good!  It's when I start medication that those tests results are raised.  I don't understand why it is necessary to put our health at risk when lowering BP with medications.  

• Posted

I am going to try and EAT LESS food.  I eat fairly well, nutritionally however even good food can be too much food, lol.  I think if I lose about 15-20 lbs that might also help my BP.  I am considered in the "overweight" category according to the BMI chart.  I take my health very seriously and figure I could lose 20 lbs by June 2017....not sure if it will take that long but it's worth an effort and have more blood work done at that time, see what the results are then.  I know I exercise enough with my walking and strength work.  

• Posted

I know that all meds affect everyone so differently.  I am going to monitor how I do with my food improvement diet.  I eat well but I think I could eat less.  That and lots of water to help with clearing my system.  Thanks
  • Posted

You could ask your GP to change your medication.  I refused amlodipine right at the start as I couldn't eat my mornng grapefruit with that so my GP gave me Ramipril instead.  Then I developed the dreadful cough and switched to Losartan.  No side effects and it works brilliantly for me. 

Can't understand why the amlodipine would cause the A1c and cholesterol to rise but in the case of cholesterol why would you worry? As a woman especially you need cholesterol and in my opinion the cholesterol hypothesis is a complete con and based on dodgy evidence. The NHS [and NICE] in their wisdom still churn out their out of date advice on cholesterol.  It's the ratio that is important not the total figure. 

• Posted

Hi jane243...I agree with what you wrote to kathleen04185. I too don't understand 'why' the Amlodipine would cause the A1c & cholesterol to rise..something isn't quite right with this, unless the patient (kathleen) thinks this is so, (all was fine, starting with Amlodipine, then noticed the changes), but again, I find it hard to fathom. Here in Canada, Dr.'s don't necessarily put people on cholesterol medication unless there's good reason. The TOTAL figure is what pretty much guides them. I read so many things on this forum about Drs putting people on cholesterol medication for 'just in case'. I would never ever take a medication for that reason. I don't even understand a diabetic taking cholesterol medication if their cholesterol levels are fine. I have a friend who is 'diabetic'...he takes warfarin, & cholesterol medication, BUT he eats far too much, & recently ate more than 1/2 box of chocolate & he eats fatty foods as well. I'm sure he thinks in his mind that he had meds to keep his bp down, & cholesterol down, as well as the warfarin, BUT people have to help the meds too. Personally, I think he's courting disaster.

I'm sure you know..there are many medications out there where grapefruit cannot be eaten or drank while on the medications. I like my grapefruit too, but had to give it up when taking some of my meds.

Sometimes I can eat oranges, & sometimes not. 

• Posted

I will ask my GP if my idea to take responsibility for diet would make the difference in blood work numbers.  It can't hurt.  Less food in would help my BP I hope!

• Posted

kathleen04185...it is known that a good healthy diet combined with moderate exercise certainly helps the bp numbers. I personally know some people who have had their medications reduced because they have lost weight & walk a lot. You're right when you say..'it can't hurt'.

• Posted

Hi I have been taking this drug for 3 days, I feel tired, and like I am in a mental fog is this normal?
    • Posted

Mimi247...3 days isn't long enough to judge the medication. Your body needs to adjust, however if things persist, I'd suggest you consult your doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.