calf pain help!!!

Posted , 8 users are following.

im going crazy   with pain in my calf it like a cramp pain im 11mths post revision  i had this a few weeks ago and it lasted a good week but its back again i was out for a walk this morning with hubby and even the knee felt comfortable  came home and an hour later we were going to lunch near by so we were walking up the road and the calf was as tight as a ducks a**  why is it happening ?   and more important how do i get rid of the tightness ? its like i was kicked by a horse i can hadly walk any sugestions welcome thanks

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I went for massage therapy on friday and was complaining of cramps in my calf muscle. He suggested that cramps can be caused by dehydration...so are you still drinking enough water? Or also low potassium. ?.which bananas are full of.... hope it lets up for you...they are certainly painful and difficult to relieve with the knee recovery. D x
    • Posted

thanks donna bananas yes ill eat alot more of them im trying to drink more i can see where your coming from  so ill upt the water and bananas galore
    • Posted

Of course bananas can alsobe a bit constipating...so a vicious circle huh? Lol...
  • Posted

I have lots of calf cramp too,plus the feeling just before the cramp starts. I put it down to me not using the lower leg efficiently because of continuing pain. I had TKR Dec '13 and it's never been good....having work up for revision op.
    • Posted

Probably true Nicky, the physio also told me that the calf muscles work like a 2nd heart when we're standing. The suble weight shifting that we do helps to pump the blood back up to the heart. So when we don't use them effectively because we are in pain or are standing with more weighton one than the other compensating for the injury..this can alsocause cramping. The massage therapist told me that there were definite knots in the muscles. Felt good the next day for sure.
    • Posted

ya nicky i agree and         i think i should also warm up more before i go out walking  good luck with revision  at the moment i just need it to subside im fine while i rest no pain at all till i try to put weight and put one foot in front of the other im hoping someone can tell me how to stop the pain but i supose il just have to wait im massaging it and put a hot water bottle under it to increase the blood flow not sure if im right though
    • Posted

i think donna i might have to visit a physio if it continues im so sick of physio i only finished up with them a few weeks ago and the tought of going again never mind the expense
    • Posted

Im only 5 weeks post op but i get this cramping in my calf muscle,i hate it as it can get so painful,i massage with oil and use a hot water bottle too and must admit it does help...but when its bad i cant walk with it...will try more water and bananas too..x
    • Posted

I know...at the moment our health care is paying for the physio not sure how long that lasts maybe 3 months. I can probably get another prescription from the dr and they may continue to pay for it. How long did you go in all? I do have to pay for the massage therapy tho and at $65/visit it adds up.
  • Posted

Do you do any stretching? I do a stretch standing on the  first stair with only front half of foot on the step and let back half of foot drop and hold for 30 secs. Repeat 3 times. It stretches the calf so it might help. Apparently stretching the muscles is good for cramp. 
    • Posted

thanks jennifer hands up im guilty  of not doing that   and ive got to grt back to basics  im so stupid thats basics  thanks for reminding me i guess the last time it happened a few weeks ago i thought it was a once off  but now that its happened again ive got to get it sorted!!! as the last time i had it for almost a week

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.