Can Angina be caused by on prescribed high dosage of Morphine

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been diagnosed as suffering from Angina for the past few years and am wondering wether this could be as a side effect of being on a high dosage of prescribed Morphine that is for my Chronic Back pain, I'm probrably off track but has anybody else found that they have been suffering from the same symptoms?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Well, chest pain is listed as a possible side effect of taking morphine,but it is also used to treat chest pain,so I guess you could have this side effect. Have you had an ECG etc etc,so that the angina has been diagnosed properly?
    • Posted

Hi Marina

Yes I had an ECG done at Dorchester and again at Shrewsbury hospital so I know it's diagnosed that I do have the ailment I just don't know why!

• Posted

Hi Reddave,

Morphine usually starts at the gut, this medication is used for pain relief in severe cases of angina. Did you get chest pain when you originally started on the morphine ? Also you may get immune to the morphine as the year(s) go by and by taking the morphine it may of been taking care of your chest pain as well until your system  has become immune to the morphine, actually I don't think immune is the right word to use, not sure smile Your body simply just gets use to it that it takes more of it to get rid of the pain.

• Posted

Hi Samuels,

I have needed to continually increase my morphine levels and unfortunately with each increase the side effects increased as well. Predominantly memory loss, constipation and lethargy, though I can't be sure about when the chest pain started as I just presumed it was heart burn as my reflux valve now doesn't seem to work. 

I am concerned about the angina though as my mother passed away a couple of years ago with heart failure. 

• Posted

Hi Reddave,

Yes constipation and lethargy is a common side effect of morphine, I can't comment on memory, but as you have obviously been on it long term you would have the best knowledge of it's other side effects and the memory loss, I know when I was on Alprazolam my memory was starting to fade so I dare say the same would occur with the morphine with daily usage.

Your best bet would be to ask your GP or pain management team, if you have one (pain management team ) in regards to high dosages of morphine possibly causing angina. I would has it as a guess that it maybe hereditary your angina.

• Posted

Thanks samuels

Yes I'm under pain management but I haven't spoken about my angina, I suppose partly due to having so much else going on that probably wrongly have put my chronic back pain above my chest pain, but in hindsight if my heart gives up the back pain doesn't matter really as I wouldn't be around to worry!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.