Can anxiety cause costochondritis?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey all. On sunday I had a bit of a panic attack (my first one), it didn't last for too long but at the time I felt like I was having a heart attack. Ever since i've been feeling very anxious. I woke up the next day with a tightness in my chest and ever since been getting some pains/aches in my left arm and the left side of my chest. 

I went to the doctor, he gave me an ecg and took my blood pressure,  both came back normal. Today - 3 days later - and the symptons are still here, albeit not as severe. I went to the doctors again today and he said that he thinks it might be either muscle pain or costochondritis and gave me naproxen to take. 

I have no reason to not trust my doc, but the anxiety in me is forever thinking the worst. I'm just wondering if my symtpons sound like they could be from costochondritis and whether it can be caused from anxiety or not?

Thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

hello ..

This condition is probably one of the most un diagnosed one ever...my symptoms seem to be a bit different   from other people ..in that after having Tiezte for 15 years plus.. i now recognize what will bring an attack on.. and that is when i push and stress myself.. if i keep to a low level pace... i am fine...i am in the fortunate position i can work part time now and i am sure that is a big factor in helping me keep stable...although i do have moments.. but i cope with by sitting down on a seat and breathing my way through it... sometimes it takes longer than other times.... but my doctor assures me that its a condition that wont kill me so i believe him! and i do as he says ..but all the same ..its still very worrying and when you are having an attack... its frightening...i am not sure of anxiety .. but it cant help the situatian i am sure....

Hope my reply has helped you  ..

• Posted

Hi, yeah I'm pretty much in the same boat. I've had panic attacks for 4-5 months now and pains in my Triceps round my back under my left shoulder blade and right through my ribs to my sternum, all localised to the left hand side. I've had bp checked (probably 10 times) my heart rate (I have my own HR monitor now and it's always normal) I've had 5 Ekgs all come back normal, blood tests ultra sounds etc. only thing abnormal was ketones in my blood. (As the anxiety was causing me not to eat as much as I need) I still have pains all around but stretching and exercising and I also use sports tape on my back to pull my shoulders backwards as when I'm anxious I kind of curl up in a ball and the pains get worse. Stay relaxed with your shoulders backwards, use some ice or heat to reduce your pain in your chest but most of all... Relax. biggrin

• Posted

Yet rest assured that anxiety commonly causes chest tightness and chest pain for a variety of reasons, these include:

Hyperventilation

This is easily the most common cause of chest tightness. Hyperventilation may be due to rapid breathing as a response to an anxiety attack or because you are trying to take deeper breaths than your body needs due to health anxiety. Hyperventilation causes a squeezing sensation around or near the heart.

Bloating/Gas

Anxiety and stress have a profound effect on digestion, because the stress from anxiety puts pressure on your gut. That pressure can lead to bloating, and many people find that bloating causes a type of tightness/chest pain that can be severely uncomfortable.

Over-sensitization

In some cases, it's possible that the tightness is nothing more than a bit of muscle strain, a small bit of lung pain, or something otherwise normal. Yet some anxiety conditions have a tendency to cause over-sensitization, which means that the person experiences it much worse than it would be felt objectively.Chest tightness occurs most often either right before or during an anxiety attack. It may also occur with no anxiety at all, in what's known as a limited symptom panic attack.Rest assured that chest discomfort caused by anxiety is completely harmless.

👆 some good info about chest pain and anxiety (most likely you don't have costochondritis and its down to one of these reasons)

• Posted

As rawb says... pretty much of what he says is Tietze... i have much ..if not all of what he describes,,, my personal choice is too... not let myself have a stressfull

lifestyle anymore.... i absolutetely refuse to have any stress of any kind whatsoever....and believe me... my previous life was STRESS to the extreme but not anymore..one can live with so little and be happy with no stress... its wonderful and so liberating ... i could never  ever go back to my  old life.....

• Posted

I hear that 👆 nice diet and relaxation will ease your symptoms loads too. smile

• Posted

Thanks for your replies guys. At first I did freak out becasue obviously, similar symptons to bad heart problems. That along with googling my symptons almost made me have a break down. 

The naproxen seems to be helping though and slowly but surely the pain is leaving. It's at worst now in my upper back and left arm. 

• Posted

If you're flush wish cash try seeing a sports therapist chiropractor or massesuse. They can relieve a lot of tension and pain. (Especially chiropractor) I seen my chiro about 10 times and he told me if I can't relax the tension will keep coming back and it's a waste. So I've learnt to relax and just see him when it's at the worst. Also if anxiety is the cause ring up mind or iapt. They can offer you counselling (free) mind is amazing.
  • Posted

Hi just I've been the same as yourself it's costochondritis it's a very painful and stressing illness its relieved by rubbing Olbas Oil into the painful area and use ice packs rest as much as you can,I also went to a chiropractor who did aquapuncture on me ,I've had ecg bloods and finally a heart scan all is fine but found its my costal joints,it's really painful when at its worst and gives you the feeling your heart is out of rhythm but it's nerve reacting to the pressure from the intercostal swelling I hope you find this some help and puts your mind at rest Olbas Oil is really good for easing the pain 
  • Posted

Hi all, Havent had an attack for a wee while and suddenly yesterday with no warning, i was admiring a friends garden and i turned to look at a plant when i started feeling pains in my chest.. this attack lasted for what seemed ages but i  sat down and let it pass  and i scared the life out my friend, shes heard me speak of this but had never seen me..this attack  has really knocked me for six, i feel exhausted today.

Regards

Laurenbabe

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.