Can anyone advice me on thoracic back pain and sharp chest pain?

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi 

quick history:

- I had a minor chest pain for a year where this was investigated via ECG and appeared no cardiac issue.

-In January 2016 went back to my GP regarding chest pain and lower back pain. Referral request to physiotherapy was made.

-early March, I had what I believe to be chest infection coughed up mucus with blood, NHS111 advising that this is fine.

- In March 2016, still on physio waiting list and went back to my GP again because the chest pain became very sharper accompanied by sharp upper back pain. At this point no paint at the lower back. GP believes there's nothing they can do apart from just to wait for physio. I was told that the pain is likely from structural problem so no point in investigating further.

-now mid April, I'm still waiting for my first physio appointment and I'm concerned that during this waiting period my thoracic back pain got worse as well as chest pain to the extent that it even hurts when I move eg deep breathing. 

Am am I on the right track that I should just wait for physio appointment?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

HI if I was you I would ask for a referal and not wait for physio this needs further investigation
    • Posted

hi, Thanks for your reply.  could I ask what referral do you mean? 
  • Posted

I think you should keep going back to your GP and make a fuss.

I had similar upper thoracic pain, I called it square pain and went to see a cranial osteopath. He says it is where the ribs join on to the vertebrae at the back. These joints get inflamed and very painful. Mine developed after a RTA 60 years ago and has recurred regularly since. Not helped either by acid reflux which gives the same sort of pain . Good luck, but make a fuss. Sadly unless you do, nothing will happen . After a six month wait to see the chef physio, I had two scans and was given exercises and referred back to my GP.

• Posted

Thanks for reply, yes getting referral to phsyio, that's what i am worried about. I guess they will just give me some exervises to do (which i have already been doing after through research on internet!) and then that's over, left to my own and good luck.   As you suggested I just made another apt with my GP (which is in 3 weeks time..another waiting). Thanks for your input.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.