can anyone advise?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Dear all

I have been on citalopram for over five months. The last eight weeks on 40mg. I am constantly lethargic and don't seem to be myself until around seven each evening. I am receiving CBT but I just feel so down all day everday. I still get irritated by company of any kind and prefer to stay isolated all day. Strangely enough I can still empathise and try to support others here..and that gives me joy eg if I can help in some way. Sorry that was long winded!! Lol. I am due to see my doctor tomorrow as she thinks it's time for a switch of antidepressants. Have any of you here switched from citalopram to something else? If so what was it and did it work? Or should I give citalopram another month as I'm on in the evenings? Thanking you in advance

Lorraine xx

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lorraine,

I would stick with it for a while longer. Have you tried changing the time of day you take Cita? I was morning, then lunch, then tea-time, but have not looked back since taking me 40mg at bedtime.

Re isolation, people etc, I have felt the same lately!!! There are personally concerns for me too regarding two familiy members and that (and other crap) may just be making me withdraw in doors again for a while. I forgot to take Cita on Monday night and realised last night when I saw the days on the card. Did think no probs I feel fine, but I had a bad night (I guess until Cita kicked in). Feeling a little better now though!

I can't really answer the main part of your question, but I thought until someone who can does I'd say Hi! Have a chat and waffle on and possibly take yer mind of yer woes....

Be strong!

Best of Regards,

David x

• Posted

Bless you David xx that wasn't a waffle that was a great response. Deep down i was thinking give it another month but wow...This is a long road!! Lol. I take mine in the morning but will try taking in the evening to see if it helps. Did you switch from morning to evening instantly or did you stagger it?

Lots of blessings and a big hug for making me smile xxx

• Posted

Hi Lorraine,

Thanks for the blessings and the virtual hug, it is appreciated.

I staggered the change from morn to bedtime over three days I think however, it did work for me.

I have a Dr's appt in just over a week and we'll probably be discussing the question of reduction. Can I? Do I need to? Should I bother if Cita's working? I would like to try, but as I keep saying to everyone it has to be gradual and slow and I have to remember that myself!

Actually, about the day of my appt will be about a year anniversary in my relationship with Cita!

All the Best,

David x

• Posted

Thanks David. Please let me know how your appointment goes next week. I will start staggering tomorrow and give switching from AM to PM a whirl.

I think I will ask the doc for another month on cita.

many thanks to you xx

• Posted

I haven't got any experience but I do get the lethergy. And that is one of the reasons I am coming off of cita plus I am ready. 

You have already been on it for 5 months and on a high dose for 8 weeks and if it's not settling maybe your doctor is right and it might be time to try something else. Not every tablet works for every person which is why there are so many different ones. 

Isolation is a horrible feeling and I wish you well. Good luck with what ever you decide to do 

Kirsty x

• Posted

Hi kirsty

thank you so much for responding. Do you mind me asking how long it's taken for you to feel ready to come off cita?

Half of me says wait longer and the other bit says try something new!

Thank you again kirsty xx

• Posted

Hi Lorraine

I can totally understand your situation, I am 3 months on cit, started on 20mg and increased to 30mg just over 2 wks ago, I do see some improvement, but i am still a million miles away from myself, I really thought I would be back to myself by now and it's very scary and disheartening when it takes such a long time.. the added stress of Christmas coming doesn't help😥

If you trust your doctor I would go with whatever he or she recommends, I have heard that Lexapro is the newer version of cit and has less side effects, but then there's so many different meds out there. I wish you the very best of luck, please keep me updated as I dnt know if cit is fully working for myself.

Nicola xx

• Posted

Thanks so much Nicola

you are so right it seems to be such a long haul to recovery! I will let you know tomorrow what the change of meds are. It's disheartening starting over as I seem to get all the side effects of medications. I sincerely appreciate your response and whatever the weather...We will get better xxc

blessings and gratitude to you x

• Posted

Hi Lorraine

I wish I could help you more, I understand what you are saying about starting over again on new meds, this cause's me extreme anxiety also as we just want to be better now and feel if we change medication its going to take longer, where as we should look at the positive side and say we might feel better faster if we take the correct medication..

My gp has referred me to a pysciatrist, which I am waiting on an appointment for, he feels I will benefit from this as they offer CBT therapy and other therapies not only medication, I am nervous about this also but will give it a try, maybe you could ask about CBT ?

Wishing us all a speedy recovery or just recovery xx

• Posted

Hi nicola

bless you xx I'm having CBT it helps me a bit. It doesn't help me with the fatigue and low mood. But like you i won't dismiss anything that may get me better eventually.

Wishing you better too

god bless xxx

• Posted

Hi, I was on citi and went to Escitalapram(Lexapro) it's a newer version of citi. It's stronger, works faster with less side effects. Maybe ask your doc about it, it's great for me.😀 Take care!
    • Posted

Thank you so much Beth. I will mention that to the doctor tomorrow. I cannot explain how touched I am for the response xx

wishing you a continuous speedy recovery xx xx

god bless x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.