Can Anyone Help With These MRI Results

Posted , 2 users are following.

My primary doc sent me the results of the MRI I had on Friday, but is waiting for someone to call me that can interpret these results.  Has anyone had anything like this as it looks scary to me.  "Impression

1. Fairly small area of marrow signal and enhancement along the right side mid sacrum immediately adjacent to the SI joint level which may be reactive to mild arthritic changes. Small low signal focus of the right iliac bone image 9 series 3 adjacent to 

the SI joint also may be reactive to mild arthritic changes. Otherwise unremarkable MRI of the sacrum. No evidence of occult sacral fracture. No bony or adjacent soft tissue mass demonstrated.

2. Incidentally seen Tarlov cysts, which are nonspecific.

** FINDINGS **:

MRI of the sacrum is submitted pre-and post 7 cc gadavist intravenous contrast. Postcontrast sagittal and axial images of the lumbar spine also provided. Comparison noncontrast MRI lumbar spine December 20, 2016.

There is a small area of marrow edema type signal in the right upper sacrum laterally along the anterior midportion of the sacroiliac joint image 13 series 8 over an area of approximately 9 mm axial and 9 mm craniocaudal image 17 series 4. On postcontrast images there is mild focal enhancement in this region. This is immediately adjacent to the right sacroiliac joint and may be reactive to mild arthritic changes. There is a small approximately 5 or 6 mm focus of low signal of the right iliac bone also adjacent to the right SI joint with minimal adjacent marrow edema signal on T2 images which may also be reactive to mild arthritic changes. No other definite suspicious signal abnormality or enhancement seen within the sacrum or visualized portions of the iliac bones. Signal and enhancement pattern within the surrounding musculature and other soft tissues is unremarkable with no focal mass demonstrated. T2 hyperintense focus within the mid sacral canal at approximately upper S3 level

slightly to the left of midline as well as a small focus on the right suggesting Tarlov cysts image 6 and 7 series 4. The one on the left measures approximately 1.4 cm craniocaudal with another small 0.5 cm focus of moderate and one on the right 0.7 cm. 

On postcontrast images no definite enhancement seen in these likely represent small Tarlov cysts, nonspecific. No lymphadenopathy is seen in the lower pelvis. Postcontrast images of the lumbar spine demonstrate no suspicious lumbar spinal or nerve root or thecal enhancement."  

THank you.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello it's me again,

I feel you are worried about the cysts as I know you are worried about cancer. I had a MRI done last summer and they found a few cysts measuring 1cm on my spine as well. It was nothing and the doctor told me it's pretty normal. I also had a lot of findings that sounded really bad to me and it was nothing out of the normal. Yours seems to have a few more than mine so there could be something but I just wanted you to know the cysts are normal and most people live a normal life without them bothering them. Doctor did say they can sometimes interfere with nerves and cause problems but it's not life threatening!

• Posted

Thank you but actually I am not worried about the cysts, it is the other verbiage that I am worried about.  The doctor quickly tagged my issue as osteoarthritis, which it is not as OA causes pain while active and activity helps my pain.  It is sitting and sleeping that causes my pain.  I definitely do not have AS either - I checked the symptoms and discussed with doctor.  So I am still at a loss sad

• Posted

I hope you find out what the cause is. Just keep going until you get an answer! Not knowing what exactly is causing the pain is depressing and frustrating! Good luck in your quest.
    • Posted

Thank you so much Roccdeezy.  Yes, I am frustrated.  Hoping it is nothing serious.  
  • Posted

Also I wanted to note that if you test positive for the HLA-B27 gene that the sacroiliac joint they refer to in the MRI is the first place AS attacks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.