Can anyone relate? Ocd/thoughts?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi i am currently on escitalopram into my 12 week now, which is helping a little bit, and just started seeing a trauma therapist/cbt. I suffer from obsessive thoughts and anxiety. I wondered if anyone had any advice on how to deal with obsessive thoughts, sometimes my mind generates nonsense questions that cause me anxiety unless i find the answer to them, i used to google a lot for answers but have stopped myself doing that and now the thoughts just loop round and round, my mind will just wander off thinkjng stupid things like wondering about stuff and it causes me anxiety because i dont know the answers, is this uncertainty? I dont want to know the answer to everything i just wish my brain would stop coming up with stupid things all the time! It causes me distress as i dont know why im thinking like this, i was never like this before.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Donna

Look up your answers on the internet.

To keep asking yourself questions you cannot answer, the Web is one big world to visit

BOB

• Posted

Thats exactly what i am trying to avoid doing as it is a compulsion with ocd.
    • Posted

Yes I understand that

Look for activities that will divert you from your condition.

I look towards hobbies, I work in my Orchard when I can get out.

We take Pax out for walks and go up country and spend time in our caravan. Anything to divert my negative thoughts

BOB

• Posted

Thanks i might try new activities to fill my time, i suffer from generalized anxiety disorder and obsessive thinking which comes and goes, im just glad its not there all the time! I used to google alot even health issues at one point and stopped doing it altogether because it was making things worse, i only did this to help my anxiety. I find it hard to accept being uncertain about things. Suppose its all part of having an anxiety disorder. If I learnt to live with uncertainty i think i would be a whole lot better.
  • Posted

I dealt with this same issue of constant thoughts justs spinning around my head to the point I confuse myself if it makes since and dealing with compulsive issues also. Been to counseling tried different meds even asked the psychiatrist can't you just put me on something for anxiety and they would always indicate that it was habit forming and or it would not help with my problems.Ended up going to my primary Dr. and she wrote a script to have psychiatrist put me on xanx which for me has helped big time it calms those merry go round thoughts as some of the other meds were kind of mind altering somewhat hard to explain.Since being on the new med and change in diet it has greatly improved my silent reflux problem also. Take care...... Russ

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.