Can anyone tell me what ths parathyroid scan entails?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am being referred to a surgeon to discuss a parathyroid operation. I am waiting to go for a scan. Can anyone tell me what the scan entails? I know dye is put into you. How long does the scan take? Thanks

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Shirley. I have just been diagnosed with primary hyperparathyroidism. I had my scan a week or so ago. They simply inject you with a small amount of radioactive material. You go wait a while then they lie you down on a bed and bring a large square screen to just over you to capture the rays you emit. This makes a slow exposure image on their screen. It took about 15-20 mins. Then you go wait about 2 hours; come back and lie under the screen again: this time twice as long so about 30 mins. It's quite painless and restful. All you are doing is making a photo/pic image for the radiologist to look at. No bother at all. My ultra sound is due next week. Then I get to meet my surgeon! I hope!

Hope that helps

Angie 

• Posted

Thanks Angela your info was very helpful. You have not had to wait long for your scans. It's 18 months since I was diagnosed. Do you know what sort of surgeon will do your op? It seams all hospitals use different ones eg ear nose and throat surgeon. Mine is an endocrine amongst other.

Shirley.

• Posted

Hi Shirley. You are welcome. Which part of the country are you in? I am being seen at Norwich and Norfolk hospital. Yes you are correct about the surgeons. I have been told there are two surgeons there who perform the ops ; one is an endocrine surgeon; the othe is Ear Nose and Throat. I do not know which one I will see yet. I think they are dealing with me quickly because I am making kidney stones very fast due to the high calcium level and they may be treating me sooner as I recently got one blocking my ureter which sent me to the Emergency room pretty quick! The pain was awful!! I have had an op to laser those ones but the surgeon wants me back at a later date as the op didn't go as well as he hoped because my kidney was so swollen. 
    • Posted

Hi Angela. It's good to talk to someone with parathyroid. Trying to explain to my boss or anyone else is difficult, it's such a complex thing. I have had problems with a kidney stone about 2 years before I was diagnosed. Also had a problem with a blocked salivary gland, still don't know if there is a stone there, doctor thought there could be but the infection cleared.

I go to Lancaster hospital in Lancashire.

Keep in touch with how you go one. It looks like you are ahead of me.

Shirley

• Posted

Hi Shirley. Yes it's great to talk to someone else with the same thing (hug). I also find it very hard to explain to other people. Today I chased up the hospital to find out a bit more but had to leave a message.  I will keep you posted. 

Take care 

Angie 

• Posted

Hi Angela. Had my radioactive and dye scan today. Ihad a canuler put in and two substances put in then a wait. Took into the scanner. First scan took about 15 mins then another substance which made a strange taste and a 18 min scan. It was time for the ultrasound. He doctor could not see the parathyroid but said I had nodules round the thyroid. Back to the scanner and a scan for 5 min another for 18 mins then finished. Thank goodness! A bit scary having the machine so near the face. Have an appointment with my endercrine Dr in 3 weeks time. Haven't got an appointment with the surgeon yet but received a copy of the letter sent to him. Carry on thats all we can do!!

Shirley

• Posted

Hi Shirley;

Thank you for the update. I have had my scans and nothing was found apart from some nodules on my thyroid which is "quite common and normal really".  I have been told my Vit D is low but I haven't had a bone scan yet. I know both of my kidneys are full of stones and I was meant to be having more surgery to laser those but haven't been called back as yet. 

I do now have an appt to see my surgeon on Monday 29th. I will let you know how it goes. I am still very tempted to go to Florida and the Norman Institute; but let's see what the surgeon here says first.

It's all a bit worrying but we have to soldier on don't we?!  

Hopefully we all will get sorted soon   

Angela smile

• Posted

Forgot to add; the reason for the time gap; the first image shows the thyroid and it's position. Then as the radioactive isotope breaks down and get dispersed by your body ; the thyroid gets rid of the radiation before the naughty parathyroid glands. So the theory is; after the two hour gap; they get to see just the parathyroid glands and not the thyroid. As the thyroid has got rid of it's radiation. smile
  • Posted

Hi Shirley. I had a sestamabi scan last week. Just like a blood test except a harmless dye is introduced. Had a scan done for 15 minutes and then had to hang around for 3 hours while the dye took effect. Another scan of 5 minutes and then a third one from a different angle. Thats it really no problem. Now waiting for a ct scan and ultra sound before surgery.

• Posted

Hi Gaynor.  I am in the Uk are you too? I definitely had a radio active injection and not dye. How was the dye seen by what method did they capture the images? I am interested as yours does sound slightly different to mine. See my posts above ?

I was radioactive and the rays made an image as I lay under a big screen which 'developed' the image over 15 - 30 mins. How did they move the angle too? I am A bit confused. 

Thanks 

Angela 

• Posted

Hi. I have just got an appointment for a ultrasound on my neck.  He must have decided to do that one first. Never know if a mistake has been made.Not what I was told in clinic. I then have to have bloods for vit D and bone profile before my clinic appointment.  Not got one to see the surgeon yet. 

Shirley

• Posted

Hi Angela. To date I have had a bone scan which indicated significant osteoporosis. Have met my surgeon mr. Ahmad at Birmingham Heartlands hospital, and have had a sestamabi scan which is the one you and Shirley have talked about. Yes it is a radioactive dye, and the scanning proceedure was the same as yours. The final scan involved the machine revolving so that it formed an inverted v over my head an neck. I have a CT scan next week and then an ultrasound scan before surgery probably in October. Just want to get it over with now !! I have been offered six monthly injections of

Densomab after surgery to help with the osteoporosis but will think about that when the time comes

• Posted

Hi there Gaynor and Shirley

Thank you so much Gaynor for explaining all about the bone scan. That was very interesting. They haven't yet indicated to me whether or not I will be getting the bone scan. 

All I have had so far are the sestimibi scan and the ultra sound and bloods which indicated low vitamin D. I have read the low vitamin D is the body trying to protect itself. 

He said he wanted me to go on to tablets for that which worried me a bit. 

I just feel so tired all the time and I get a lot of headaches. Is that the same for you guys?? All I want to do is sleep!

I think I should ask about a bone scan asap. 

Nice to talk to you. 

Please let's keep in touch with our progress!!

Best wishes 

Angela 

• Posted

Hi Gaynor. Look at post for Angela. I've had no mention of a ct scan but will wait and see. I don't have osteoporosis but the dexta scan showed I was just outside the range.That was last May.

Shirley

• Posted

Hi Shirley

I just wanted to say I put a post on just now replying to Gaynor but it was for you as well!

I forgot to add that I have lots of kidney stones so that's even more reason to ask for a bone scan !??

Did you get a bone scan?

Angela

• Posted

Hi. I had a kidney stone about 2 years before I was diagonised. Also 6 months before I had a problem with a salivary gland. I have a small lump in my neck which my G.P. thought could be a stone. I never had it looked at because then I had blood tests and in a round about way found I had hyperparathyoid. I had not felt well for a couple of years but not much notice taken.

After my first appointment with the consultant I had the 48 hr urine collection and then blood test. He also sent me for a ultrasound of my kidneys and a dexta scan. I was just out of the range of osteoporosis. That was 18 months ago. My vit D was 16 so was on high vit D tablets which put my calcium up and made me sometimes feel ill.The calcium has been rising. It was only last month he talked about an operation. Sorry its a bit rambling.

Shirley

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.