Can being around military aircraft with Unprotected ears lead to Meniere's years later?

Posted , 3 users are following.

In the 1970's I was in the USAF. I stood guard around jets without proper ear protection. I left the USAF in 1984. In 1995 I was diagnosed with Meniere's and in Dec. 2016 I had a Labyrinthectomy. My symptoms leading up to the surgery were severe. I am trying to get a disability rating from the US Dept of Veterans Affairs and want to know if there can be a causal relationship between the lack of adequate ear protection and development of meniere's.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Thank you for your service, Barry. I don't think anyone knows what causes Meniers. But the exposure to the engines all those years certainly causes hearing loss and tinnitus so it may be hard to tease out. (I work for the VA ) I hope you are working with your VSO on this- they can help the most! Best wishes

• Posted

The objective answer is that there is no proven connection between the two.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

Tinitus and hearing loss is part of the Meniere's syndrome.

• Posted

Yes, but can being around jet aircraft for years without proper ear protection be a possible cause for the tinnitus and hearing loss years later?
    • Posted

Did you have vertigo episodes?

• Posted

Did you also feel that your ears were blocked?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.