Can gabapentin make your feet and ankles swell

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have started on gabapentin and my ankles are swelling .is this a side effects .my doctor says it isn't the med

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I read on Drugs.com that swelling of legs, ankles and feet  are a rare side effect of Gabapentin. Your doctor may be wrong....ck with him/her again.

• Posted

Hi again. I answered your queston, howeveer, it's being moderated. Seems I included a link which isn't approved. So, the answer to your question is yes, swelling is a rare side effect.

• Posted

Didn't for me but happened to a colleague of mine who asked to be taken off it.  She is now on a different medication.

• Posted

Dear dorbocon55

hi.  i was. Wondering how much gabapentin you take within a 24 hr period??? 

Good luck you, yes it's definitely doing something to your kidneys

/heart etc. who knows!  Which could be the serious side effect you see with the ankle swelling etc.

let me know k about how much you take in a 24 hour period k?

Chandra

• Posted

You might be very sensitive. I had horrible side effects from this medication and only took 100 MG a day. I could not tolerate it.
  • Posted

That is the exact side effect my neighbor got from taking it. He asked to be taken off it and the side effect went away. He never had swollen feet or ankles until he started taking this medication. There are many side effects that can happen from this drug that are not even listed as a possible side effects. 
  • Posted

Yes, it is a side effect! My legs, feet, hands were all holding fluid! Do you get a leaflet with your medication from your pharmacy? In Ontario I get a leaflet of all of the side effects and benefits.

swelling is definately listed, as is blurry vision, mood swings, depression, headache., etc. I had most of them but it got better as time went on. Swelling never got better though.

• Posted

Cassie57, I was taking gabapentin 600mg×5 a day. Swelling in feet ,ankles, hands. Then I started feeling like my shoulder was being ripped off my body and my neuropathy problems progressing. Not just the feet anymore, now all the way up legs, right arm shoulder to hand and face. I then started noticing swelling in other places,like my face. Have you heard of gabapentin causing swelling that would trigger these results? And fyi my symptoms got worse the more my dosage was increased and it never did anything for my pain. I've started taking myself off the gabapentin. I don't know what to think or do.

• Posted

Hi, 

This drug is very hard on your kidneys and other organs. I'm no Dr., but being on it myself I do my research. Drs. Prescribe for many things that gabapentin is not meant for.

if I were you, try to not take it and your side effects should go away within the week. 

I cut my dose to 100 mg 3 times a day and the swelling has gone away. I'm slowly weaning off of it completely.

good luck! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.